Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Installed a new headunit...what to do with that pesky BT mic? Answered w/ pics!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Installed a new headunit...what to do with that pesky BT mic? Answered w/ pics!

After a ton of research and much consideration, I decided to change out the OEM Becker unit and trunk changer to a Kenwood BT948HD (I want to send a shout out to Quadcammer for all of his help as I was making this decision!). I had all the functionality I wanted, yet still looks the part and I was able to set the unit lighting to match the cars interior. Ordered it from Crutchfield - man they are great - got it in 3 days and had it installed the night I got it. The longest part of the intstall was wiring up the harness they send you (Just remember to switch around the red and yellow wires!!). The sound is awesome, esp since I installed new speakers over the summer and the functions on the unit work great.

Only thing is, I have to find a place to install the BT mic. It is plugged into the back of the unit and I have it sitting under the ash tray for now. I would like to run it up and place it on the steering column, however, since our columns dont move I dont see anyway to get it fished thru the gap between the gauge cluster and top of the column. Anyone have any ideas? I also thought about taking out the CCU and running it up the dash that way, but I really want to limit the amount of black cord showing and by getting it up and thru the back of the steering column you would never see it. Has anyone had any luck figuring out a way to run it? Ill post pics of the unit and what I am talking about this weekend...any advice from previous experience is appreciated!

Thanks to everyone who helped me in my quest to pick speakers and a HU.

Last edited by skl2; 11-09-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same dilemma myself, and haven't arrived at an ideal solution yet. I put the mic on the plastic dash cap near the DS door (cord runs under dash, mic faces me between the dash and door panel), so that the surface of the mic is flush with the black vinyl section of dash.

Problem is, the mic picks up way too much road noise for the folks that are talking to me. Back to the drawing board once I get the time to work on it. I'll be curious to see what others have done.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:17 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
I would like to run it up and place it on the steering column, however, since our columns dont move I dont see anyway to get it fished thru the gap between the gauge cluster and top of the column. Anyone have any ideas?
Well, my car had the deck in it when I bought it, but the BT mic is on top of the column, so it is possible..somehow, some way.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:26 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the plastic 'yolk' around the column that houses the turn signal/washers/cruise stalks comes off in two pieces and fairly easily ... Seems like there should be a way to slightly modify it, or adjust it's position so that wire can be routed. When I had a shop hardwire my TomTom navigation cradle into the dash of the '95 Coupe, they fished two wires in between the flat dress panel and upper dash pad by the clock through the tiny space between them with no problem at all .. and when I removed it to sell the car, it all came out and looked like the day it rolled out of the factory ...
Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

I think I will play around with the plastic around the steering column this weekend and see if I can find any solutions. The easy part will be running the wires...the hard part will be squeezing the mic thru the spaces. I would like to avoid having to half remove the HU in order to disconnect the other end of the BT mic wire (the smaller end) in order to run it that way....if you catch my drift.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 PM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the mic for my BT head unit up the passenger A-pillar behind the trim and across the top of the windshield. It just barely sticks out of the rubber trim along the top of the windshield between the drivers visor and rear view mirror.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:48 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
I think I will play around with the plastic around the steering column this weekend and see if I can find any solutions. The easy part will be running the wires...the hard part will be squeezing the mic thru the spaces. I would like to avoid having to half remove the HU in order to disconnect the other end of the BT mic wire (the smaller end) in order to run it that way....if you catch my drift.
Oh ... yeah, I see now. I though you had the HU end free but it still might work if you can find a big hole to feed the mic through first and then 'tuck' the rest of the wire in afterward. The plastic 'yoke' piece pulls off easily with a few tiny screws that are very easy to lose ... I did it when I was pulling my tach out, made the gauge removal process a LOT easier ...
Old 11-08-2011, 02:50 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Oh ... yeah, I see now. I though you had the HU end free but it still might work if you can find a big hole to feed the mic through first and then 'tuck' the rest of the wire in afterward. The plastic 'yoke' piece pulls off easily with a few tiny screws that are very easy to lose ... I did it when I was pulling my tach out, made the gauge removal process a LOT easier ...
Nice, thanks for the tip. Yea, right now its already wired into the back of the HU and I just have the wiring tucked under the dash while I figure out where/how to run it. I am willing to disconnect the small end if I have to, but might try to find another way first if possible.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:51 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbarracl
I ran the mic for my BT head unit up the passenger A-pillar behind the trim and across the top of the windshield. It just barely sticks out of the rubber trim along the top of the windshield between the drivers visor and rear view mirror.
This is the other route I am considering...I just feel like my mic is a bit large to put up there but I will test it.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:32 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My Kenwood deck came with the car...the PO installed the mic on top of the
steering column in front of the tach...I don't even notice that it's there, and it
works great during calls!

Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Glad you like it. The Steering column cover comes off in two pieces, but you need to remove the steering wheel to get to the screws, which is a bummer.

I don't have BT on my unit, so I didn't run into these issues.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Silver993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran mine up the passenger column, along the top of the windshield to a position right by the rear view mirror (same as Scott described). I have the Alpine unit, so the mic may be smaller than yours.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 158 Posts

I also have a Kenwood unit (KIV BT901) and also had it wired along the top of the windshield by the rear view mirror as described above. The mic works great and you don't even know it's there. I've had no issues with people on the other end hearing me.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:43 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by efong
I also have a Kenwood unit (KIV BT901) and also had it wired along the top of the windshield by the rear view mirror as described above. The mic works great and you don't even know it's there. I've had no issues with people on the other end hearing me.
Interesting...can you post a picture if possible? I just want to see how you guys are mounting it up there without it being annoying, visible or intrusive. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:55 AM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 158 Posts

Here's a pic (don't mind my son in the rear view mirror); the wires were ran alongside the inner rubber window seal and the mic is held on with a small black metal bracket that came with it and is stuck against the top of the windshield. Hope that helps.

Last edited by ShdwFx; 07-10-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Installed a new headunit...what to do with that pesky BT mic? Answered w/ pics!