Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a new headunit...what to do with that pesky BT mic? Answered w/ pics!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:44 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I installed my Parrot mic on the column w/o having to take off anything.
See pics in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59194
Just as a reference.
Ed
Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 AM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This...
Old 11-09-2011, 02:55 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by efong
I also have a Kenwood unit (KIV BT901) and also had it wired along the top of the windshield by the rear view mirror as described above. The mic works great and you don't even know it's there. I've had no issues with people on the other end hearing me.
Same here with the old Targa. I ran the wire under the dash to the left hand pillar, under the two covers that cover the end of the dashboard, tucked between the dashboard and the window frame to get to the inner rubber liner of the windshield, under the liner up the inside of the windshield and along the top, exiting by the screw mounts for the sun visor on the driver side. I built a little aluminum mount that screwed under the visor mount and held the microphone pointed at the drivers position. Worked like a charm, and the wires are very hidden.

I installed a JVC KD-AVX77 full-touch screen unit in the car - great device, and when blanked out no ***** or buttons - just a black surface. Very clean!

Have not upgraded the Turbo yet - running out of cash! :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by EckFe1
I installed my Parrot mic on the column w/o having to take off anything.
See pics in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=59194
Just as a reference.
Ed
This is exactly the location I am thinking...I can't tell where you ran the wire from the mic...did you just squeeze it thru the steering column and pull it thru from under the dash?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by efong
Here's a pic (don't mind my son in the rear view mirror); the wires were ran alongside the inner rubber window seal and the mic is held on with a small black metal bracket that came with it and is stuck against the top of the windshield. Hope that helps.

That def helps. Thanks! I think this might be the option I go with if I can't squeeze the mic thru the steering column area because I don't want to have to disconnect the cord from the back of the HU.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Kent,

Does that Kenwood unit support bluetooth Pandora (via iphone) audio streaming or does it have to be plugged in?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:08 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Kent,
The plug of the mic was small enough to fit through the opening. I kind of went through from the right side of the column, grabbed the plug from behind and wiggled it up. I replaced all gauge lights with led's so I had easy access to the inside of the dash.
Good luck with your install. The mic location works ok in the cab although anything higher then 45mph gets too much wind interference and other party hears nothing but wind. I'm thinking of buying some fuzzy sleeves to cover it up. Otherwise it works great.
Ed
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Glad you like it. The Steering column cover comes off in two pieces, but you need to remove the steering wheel to get to the screws, which is a bummer.
It's been awhile, but I recall turning the steering wheel to access those screws. Undid the screws and cover to help with tach removal.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:40 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My car came with the Bat Phone option, and there is a mic installed in the dash to the upper left of the tach (opposite to the dash-light dimmer). The hole is only big enough to fit the wire and plug thru, and the mic is (or I should say was) glued on. It's a pretty small mic. Wish I had a pic.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:14 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oz-ATL
Hey Kent,

Does that Kenwood unit support bluetooth Pandora (via iphone) audio streaming or does it have to be plugged in?
Hey Oz, I do not believe it has BT streaming Pandora; you have to have the phone plugged in...I will double check and confirm.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:15 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Ed - perfect info...thank you!

Jeff - exactly what I was thinking...Ill attempt this weekend and let you know what I find.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found an Alpine HU that's nice and clean looking. streaming audio bluetooth but only single line display. I just ordered this Kenwood unit as well. Nice choice.

$249 from Amazon and $299 from Crutchfield but you get the harness with Crutchfield.....
Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oz-ATL
I found an Alpine HU that's nice and clean looking. streaming audio bluetooth but only single line display. I just ordered this Kenwood unit as well. Nice choice.

$249 from Amazon and $299 from Crutchfield but you get the harness with Crutchfield.....
Yeah, and honestly, after dealing with Crutchfield I wouldn't purchase anywhere else. They have great customer service and were able to answer a few questions on the phone I had when installing. Also, i ordered by phone and asked if they had any specials...I received a nice discount FYI.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Well, I decided to have a look around the steering column when I got home from work today and ended up just wiring the mic! Thanks to everyone for your comments and feedback...as Im not sure I would have experimented with the different locations and taking apart the column plastic had it not been for all of you that have gone before me!

Overall, I love the looks and functionality of this unit. Goes right in, looks the part and has the modern features that I am used to in my other cars.
Attached Images    
Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

The kid does good work... even let him drive the 914 or GT3 now and then...

Quick Reply: Installed a new headunit...what to do with that pesky BT mic? Answered w/ pics!