Sponsored by:

Great news - 3k RPM hesitation resolved

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great news - 3k RPM hesitation resolved

Folks tend to post problems and bad news a lot so I figured I'd post some good (great) news.

I had a lot of custom work done a little while back that included new intercooler, turbo injectors, SC rebuild, Protomotive ECU program, etc etc. Thread Link.

As a result I had 3 main issues:
1. There was an annoying hesitation right around 3k RPM. When slightly into the throttle at 3k the car would violently hesitate as if the car didn't know if it was supposed to be under boost or vacumn.
2. My idle was messed up pretty bad. it wasn't stable and sounded like a heartbeat. I did the ISV mod which helped but then on a cold start it would stay at 2k RPM until it was warm and then drop to 850 rpm.
3. Power (Torque) was incredible but top end HP over 4k RPM wasn't what I thought it should be.

I figured it was a result of all the new work and procrastinated finding a new sport shop to take it to and really didn't drive it that much this summer. I figured it needed a new program or something.

I took it to Hennessey Porsche for a service last week and one of their newer techs (Paul) has a lot of race/tuner experience. We chatted about my problem and about if one of the throttle body diaphrams or seals were cracked. He immediately had a different idea and knew what to check.

Turns out the shop I took it to reconnected the throttle body connector in a rush and broke 1 pin and pushed another all the way back. The car ECU wasn't getting accurate data back and thus not running right.

They fixed the connection and holy crap.....All 3 issues resolved in less than 1 hour. Smooth power throughout now and all idle issues gone.

Such a pleasure to drive now.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Great news!

I had a similar story with my Targa - had a occasional weird power band and missfiring, looks like ignition, spent a lot of time searching around, could not find it. It only happened once in a while, so it was really annoying. I was down in Orgeon during the Parade, and it almost died. Took it to a local shop, they hooked up the computer, player around and found the main ignition harness was not seated all the way in its connecting socket in the car. When the car vibrated or was a bump, the harness may disconnect some of the injectors...total cost 1 hour of shop time! Was totally my fault - when I reinstalled the engine I did not seat the connector in fully.

Good to know you have had success!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 10:54 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's great... The hennessey guys are good folks. Did you ever do anything about your clutch? Hope to see you at the Jim Ellis concours next weekend.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Glad you sorted it out Oz. Yeah - that connector on the TB is impossible to connected unless you unscrew the unit and plug in and then screw it back in place as one unit. A part of the SC is in the way. That should not have been forced in.

Did you end up getting some dyno numbers for you car? Would be interested in seeing what you are getting as we have similar setups with the proto software and upgraded injectors.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano
That's great... The hennessey guys are good folks. Did you ever do anything about your clutch? Hope to see you at the Jim Ellis concours next weekend.
I'm still trying to figure out what clutch/flywheel combo to go with at this point. Leaning towards RS clutch and RS flywheel.

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Glad you sorted it out Oz. Yeah - that connector on the TB is impossible to connected unless you unscrew the unit and plug in and then screw it back in place as one unit. A part of the SC is in the way. That should not have been forced in.

Did you end up getting some dyno numbers for you car? Would be interested in seeing what you are getting as we have similar setups with the proto software and upgraded injectors.
They took baseline numbers before the work which were crap. I took my car back before they could get do another run had my car hostage for over 6 months!

If I could find a cost efficient dyno, I'd check it out. Have you dyno'd yours? Numbers and setup?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Im just finishing off the meth kit install and should be dynoing shortly. Im sure ill need some tuning to get things running smoothly and then ill install the smaller pulley and dyno a final time to round off the project.

Quick Reply: Great news - 3k RPM hesitation resolved