Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Took 9 years but I finally got a ticket for no front MD plate & a funny story...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

I'm not messing around now. I'm driving to the damn Porsche dealer first thing tomorrow when they open and buying the ugliest legal, front bracket and slapping that puppy on my car PRONTO.

No grill install where they can potentially ticket me for not having it displayed right.
Steve-- Totally understand ^^

Should it ever help you or anyone with a Turbo grill mod, click these hyperlinks for my DIY details >2 years ago on the "Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER" thread:
-2009's page five and page six
-March 2011's page 30, a summary for TommyG when he asked how to mod.

Good to see what MagDaddy, JPP, etc., have since done with Mike J's idea.
The following's from Mike J's "Sold the Targa" thread:
Originally Posted by tommyg

Jäger...

What, if any, modification was necessary to affix front license plate on the grill of the euro bumper on your speedster?

Looking to do the same. Thanks
Originally Posted by curve lover

Nod of appreciation goes to Mike J for pcarworkshop.com.
Besides his web site, Mike's been an inspiration in another area critical for those of us making an effort to be legal...

Originally Posted by BSL

interested in seeing/hearing how you mounted your front plate. I still have to do that for mine, and really like your solution.
My state requires a front plate, so I've studied Mike J's repeatedly.
Instead of cutting edges, I folded, then covered with clearbra.
[Caveat: possible that bottom should ideally be >12 inches above ground, & face shouldn't be angled. ...Add that to your endless mod list.]

Regarding air flow, no negative aspect, IMHO. IIRC, neither oil cooler nor A/C compressor are impacted in the center.
Thanks for an attractive option, Mike!

Porsche vanity plate: Posted ~a year ago on 911uk.com's "Number plate fixing" thread by our good man, Graham:

Originally Posted by grahampm

I like the way the 'infamous' 993 Speedster has its plate mounted.

Shouldn't cause any issues - just fabricate a couple of brackets to attach to the lower grill a make sure the plate is at 90 degrees to the ground.
Graham
Originally Posted by NineMeister

snapped after valeting

Originally Posted by RP993

Follow-up from the "Front License Plate" thread:

Tommy-- looks like you purposefully mounted your plate tangential to the ground?
IIRC, that would appease laws of some jurisdictions.
Originally Posted by tommyg

Curve...yes, I am trying to comply with NJDMV, somewhat...while simultaneously preserving the natural beauty of an unmolested turbo bumper full frontal. A closer view:

Originally Posted by MarkD
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bugkiller930
I think in California you can just get it sign off by another officer and pay the $10 fee.
WRONG!

It is $50 in South Pasadena and they want to see the plate.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:55 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Son of a b*tch. ARGGGGGH. F**K. When it rains it pours. Dang rabbit...
Dude .... ok, this is NOT FAIR!

Ok, so for what it's worth, when SpeedArena got back to me from England I actually had a California Highway Patrol officer come to my house to verify my vin number against their port importation paperwork (yes, homeland security, hard at work ...) and he blessed my plate mount ...
He said as long as the state and number are readable, you should be ok .. but that's California .. and you are in another State. Why don't you take your car and plate to the agency that has to approve the mount and ask them directly?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Son of a b*tch. ARGGGGGH. F**K. When it rains it pours. Dang rabbit...

So I went to the Rennlist Meet and Drive this morning at the National Harbor. Saw tons of cool cars, didn't do the drive as I had to go to DC and see 2 movies at E St I've been trying to get to. Maybe I should have gone on the drive...

I come out of the movie, get a quick sandwich at Potbelly, head back to my car and see a ticket on it. I literally spent 5 minutes when I got to the theater studying the damn sign to make sure it was a legal, non metered Sunday spot, which it was.

The ticket? Yep, you guessed it. Mother f'ers. No Front Tag. 50 buck a roonies.

I'm not messing around now. I'm driving to the damn Porsche dealer first thing tomorrow when they open and buying the ugliest legal, front bracket and slapping that puppy on my car PRONTO.

No grill install where they can potentially ticket me for not having it displayed right. No leave it on the dashboard and hope for the best.

Nope, only an ugly, front bracket install will give me the peace of mind I need right now. Plus, even with the excellent, detailed description of how to install it on my car in that Turbo grill area with zip ties, I wouldn't be able to figure it out. I have no way to bend my license plate, particularly with my current sprained arm. Also, just my luck, I'd get another 2 tickets or so for it not being displayed exactly, to the letter of the law, correctly, with all the tops and bottoms parts of it showing perfectly.

Sucks... but there are a hell of a lot worse things in life than this!
Steve,

I understand your feelings. That's why I put mine on. Hated the feeling very time I passed a LEO who seemed to look at the front of my car for plates.

As you said, things could be a lot worse.

Mark
Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Yet a car from Quebec where only a back plate is required (they only issue one plate) would be perfectly legal anywhere where front and back plates are required.

Go figure!

Furthermore, what is the purpose of a front plate? Someone taking off (hit and run) on you doesn't usually back away.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:17 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Furthermore, what is the purpose of a front plate? Someone taking off (hit and run) on you doesn't usually back away.
Revenue. Easier for the cameras to get you with a front plate as well.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:05 AM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
I just keep my plate on the dash far right corner behind windshiled.
Never get stopped-I have driven right past police & I know they have looked at it.
Originally Posted by IamSMC
Its actual worse having the plate on the dash then having no front plate at all

While parked, in NYC at least, traffic agents will issue a ticket for "improperly displayed plate" if they see it on the dash
Maryland will ticket you for improper display if you put your plate in your front dashboard.

I don't run a front plate on the Porsche but I do run this hide-away plate on my R32.

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...7pcvtjgtl07574

Got pulled over in VA one time because I did not have the plate flipped up on the car. When the trooper told me I didn't have a front plate I simply got out of the car and flipped it up and he said OK. Ran a simple check on my license and registration and he let me go, no problem.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts

Yeah... my neighbor is going to help me bend the plate and try that first before I buy this overpriced $38 bracket to uglify my car...

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

sr
Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 274 Posts

Sorry Steve. I looked in the garage and couldn't find my old bracket.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:32 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I was pulled over for another violation earlier this year and the cop gave me a no front plate ticket. I taped a front plate to the bumper, took pictures, sent the ticket back with the photos and a Not Guilty plea. 2 months later I was "invited" to a pre-trial conference with the judge. When I showed up she dismissed it on the spot.

And BTW, I always tape my front plate when parking in a municipal/public parking lot or on the street. The meter maids love to give tickets for that. So I just keep a plate under my seat along with some double sided gaffer tape. I've left my car parked for days at a time on the street with the taped plate and no issues.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Waldteufel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now Have Front MD Plate After Four Warnings

Two warnings from county and two from State prompted me to put mine on. I lowered the angle though by using black electrical ties to fasten my covered black plastic frame to the slats on the grill insert. It's really is an unnecessary, cluttering PITA and it sticks out there to be nailed by any jackass playing bumper cars in parallel parking situations.

Front plates on otherwise aerodynamic cars probably cost thousands of barrels of oil nationwide just from the added wind resistance. But I'll concede, they do make great radar reflectors.....angle it towards the road and the reflection will have to bounce off the pavement, giving you a few seconds to compensate.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Just went to my local Porsche dealer and they said that DC cops WILL ticket me if parked with the license plate shortened in size and tucked up into the grill with zip ties as it's "not displayed correctly".

I'm now going to look into the front plate mount route using the towhook. Hello Ebay! Must search for this 2nite. I'll be parking downtown again this weekend but will sadly have to take the other car due to the front plate thing not on it yet.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Steve,

A rennlister has a lower cost tow hook option that I have on my 997. Hope this copy/paste works. $39.50 shipped. Search Rolf Stumberger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It consists of a machined aluminum bolt which is threaded into the tow hook inlet and a heavy duty
bracket to which the plate is attached.
It installs in just a few minutes and nothing touches the bumper
If you are interested in getting one, you can contact me at :
stumberger_r@msn.com
The cost is $39.50 , including shipping in US "
Attached Images   
Old 11-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Steve,

A rennlister has a lower cost tow hook option that I have on my 997. Hope this copy/paste works. $39.50 shipped. Search Rolf Stumberger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It consists of a machined aluminum bolt which is threaded into the tow hook inlet and a heavy duty
bracket to which the plate is attached.
It installs in just a few minutes and nothing touches the bumper
If you are interested in getting one, you can contact me at :
stumberger_r@msn.com
The cost is $39.50 , including shipping in US "

Thanks. After looking at many pics of this tow hook license plate option, I think that it looks too off center for me. I'm actually steering more towards the tradition front plate mount. Off center on the tow hook doesn't look right to my eye. Unless... I do more research and see more pics and change my mind which I doubt.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Steve,

You already have holes in your bumper so no extra drilling?

I was not sure if I would like the off centered look but actually it looks different and oddly enough I have gotten some compliments to it. Heck...some yoyos think I "dubbed" the tub and expect to see suicide doors! I have to be a little careful when the car cover is placed over it.

As you have said in earlier posts, not a big deal to put the plate on compared to what issues others face (poor Papa Joe Paterno) and remember that it is a license plate and it is impossible to make that look good, no matter if you bend it, roll it or copy and paste it, or wear it. Now that is an idea....attach a gold chain and wear it like a rapper.

Mark

Quick Reply: Took 9 years but I finally got a ticket for no front MD plate & a funny story...