993 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 993 Targa

Can someone please tell me what years the 993 Targa with the huuuuuuge glass roof was manufactured? Also if there are any known problems with that roof system. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Search this forum for Targas ... vast amounts of information to be read and printed out.
Also visit pcarworkshop, Mike has assembled the best collection of information regarding the roof systems and TSB's.
96-98.

Fantastic cars, a very unique driving experience. I enjoy driving my wife's Targa when I get the chance.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

96-98 ... as posted above.

Ironically, saw a nice guards red Targa today when I was having my cab looked over at EPE. Had 20k-something miles on it. Beautiful car.

I was considering a 993 Targa a few years ago, and my friend who works for Porsche (he was a master tech and used to run the school for techs in Atlanta) advised me off it ... he said the roof is great when it's working, but the policy used to be if there was a warranty claim on one, they'd just replace the entire assembly because it's so complicated. At that point, they were out of warranty and weren't being made anymore. If something goes wrong, it can be a big, expensive headache to fix it and whoever is working on it better be familiar with it.

Mike in Canada had a real go-round with the roof, his thread will shed some light ... he probably knows more about it at this point than most dealer techs.

I did eventually own a 2003 996 Targa, but it was plagued with roof rattles and I sold it -- not just due to the rattles, although it was like driving with a duffle bag full of socket wrenches at times, the 996 left me cold compared to the 993 -- but it was annoying in such an expensive car with low mileage. It was also a certified car, and the service advisor at the dealer I took it to just shook his head and said "some of 'em are just like that."

YMMV.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Lewis/Vic: I did read Mike's Pcarworkshop post. What a nightmare! I think I'll stick to a 84-89 for starters. Seems to be enough good ones around. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't let Mike's experience scare you off. I've had my Targa more than 5 years with Zero roof problems and no noises. Get a good car with a good roof and then don't mess with it. Keep the tracks clear of debris and DO NOT lubricate them, it just gets them gummed up with dirt. I also avoid opening or closing the roof when the car isn't fairly level and don't operate it when the temp is really low (not that it ever is here anyway). Get a good Targa and exercise a little common sense and you shouldn't have any problems. I think Mike will tell you once he got things sorted with the roof his Targa experience was all good.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:27 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Don't let Mike's experience scare you off. I've had my Targa more than 5 years with Zero roof problems and no noises. Get a good car with a good roof and then don't mess with it. Keep the tracks clear of debris and DO NOT lubricate them, it just gets them gummed up with dirt. I also avoid opening or closing the roof when the car isn't fairly level and don't operate it when the temp is really low (not that it ever is here anyway). Get a good Targa and exercise a little common sense and you shouldn't have any problems. I think Mike will tell you once he got things sorted with the roof his Targa experience was all good.
+1

4 years and not an issue, keep an eye on the track bolts too.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:41 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think they are great cars, I would just make sure the roof is not rattling and working perfectly, and I would be wary of any Targa that's been in an accident (or had paintwork, especially around the roof).
Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

These sound like cars that need to be seen in person and not just trusted to a PPI. Like anything else, doing your homework pays off.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Vic: How do you do both Austin and Boston? Love Boston(proximity to home) and Austin(world's best BBQ and Mexican eats!) and next year F1!.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

We spent 14 months in Austin ... it didn't work out. Much happier back home in Boston, especially after the horrific summer we just had there ... 90 days over 100 (previous record was 60-something) and literally no rain ... all summer. Throw in the rattlesnakes, scorpions, giant biting centipedes and tarantulas ... and ... let's just say the little mouse in the basement here doesn't faze me anymore. LOL

Anyone want to buy a killer house in Austin for a great price?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Well, I figured I had better chime in.

I think a good roof/bad roof is a matter of luck, and the stuff I experience would not have been picked up by any PPI that I know of. Hate to say this, but its all random.

Even after getting the roof all replaced, repainted, installed, etc. I had issues. One was the control unit occasionally closing the main roof really slowly - it felt like only one of the two motors that drive the roof was operating. I thought I fixed it when I replaced the relays, but it appears to be linked to low voltage at the battery. Since I was running an RS pulley, that does happen with the combination of fall time, lots of idling, and darkness.

Do not get me wrong, the experience of that roof is fantastic - it makes for a very light cabin, and added headroom. But be prepared for some technical glitches once in a while. The last issue I had was the microswitch for the roller blind was not triggering when the blind retracted, which means the controller still applied power to the blind relays when you tried to open the main roof, as well as it did not allow the main roof to open (the visor could). That took a bit of screwing around to get the adjustment right.

I will be honest here, I had several reasons to switch from the Targa to the Turbo, and one of them was roof maintenance - I just got tired, but remember I had it for TEN years. It also depends on the climate, these cars are better in the sun than the wet (where you will worry), so they are better the more south you go.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Vic: I was in Austin in March. Guess all the critters were still hibernating.

Mike: Is Maine south? I guess it is when compared to BC.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Vic: I was in Austin in March. Guess all the critters were still hibernating.

Mike: Is Maine south? I guess it is when compared to BC.
Does Maine get RAIN...and I mean weeks-on-end rain...not super heavy, but the misty crap?

Its not that bad actually. I think the engineers at Westabo when completely nutso when they designed this roof, so the mechanism is complicated, and the seals - well if you have every taken to door seals or the roof to windshield frames seals off, you will understand what I mean.

However, move roofs on the forum seem to be working fine. But, when ( and I mean when) something goes wacky, there is very little expertise around to help fix it, and the parts are very expensive. Allow for that when you have these cars.

I also think that there are potential rust spots that have not shown their ugly heads yet, but are there. Here is an example. Look at the way the door seal and the way it intersects with the targa roof seal. Right at that intersection, the door seal's rubber lip is against the frame of the targa roof, but the seam is facing upwards. Some water will work its way past that (since its not glued, but only a pressure fit), and when inside, there is no way out. I think the seal is good when new, but as the door seals get older, that seal will weaken, and let water in. I recently checked a pristine Targa, and while no rust had formed, there was signs of water getting behind the seal.

Great car, fantastic vantage when driving, but just make sure you are aware....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Can someone please tell me what years the 993 Targa with the huuuuuuge glass roof was manufactured? Also if there are any known problems with that roof system. Thanks.
No problems with mine. i've owned it for over 10 years. It's the best of both world, IMHO.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 97Targa
No problems with mine. i've owned it for over 10 years. It's the best of both world, IMHO.
California = relatively dry
1997 = proper updates and upgraded pivots
You = lucky.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: 993 Targa