993 Forum 1995-1998

front lower control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 AM
993::hb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front lower control arm bushings

Porsche dealer doesn have them and want to sell me both lower control arms...is there a better solution? Anywhere where i can just buy the bushings?

I found a post of someone who makes them on this forum - is this the best option? thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Pending, do you plan to fit the bushes your self or get them fitted by a professional?

You can get urethane or rubber sports or standard, I would go for rubber bushes, as they will not squeak.
These bushes fit in your old control arms.

What area do you live in?

Good luck
Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Advanced

I plan to have the garag do it - i wish i could do i t just dont have much time (i live in switzerland currently). Which rubber bushings do you recommend and where to get them?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:38 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I purchased the elephant sports bushes from FD Motorsport in the US.

These bushes work great and perform well.
No different in the ride to the standards bushes, just feel better in the streing.

I would not suggest urethane, if you can not cope with squeaking suspension.
People say they don't squeak, they way they are designed, they will squeak no matter how much grease you put on them.

Hope that helps,
Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

The Elephant racing ones should be your first choice. Plenty of people do like the urethane but they are not as good. That is a fact. By the way, I have put polybushes on my Mk1 Golf, Alfa GTV and Lotus Elan so have nothing against them.

Berni
Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by berni29
Hi

The Elephant racing ones should be your first choice. Plenty of people do like the urethane but they are not as good. That is a fact. By the way, I have put polybushes on my Mk1 Golf, Alfa GTV and Lotus Elan so have nothing against them.

Berni
I don't agree with your statement being "fact". As many things in life suspension bushings are a compromise aimed in favour of certain design criterea...whilst at the same compromising performance in other area's.

These are for instance:

Noise Vibration Harshness
Compliance/smooth&supple ride
Braking/cornering stability
Cost of manufacture
Ease of fitting
Life cycle
Etc.

Again stating as a general fact that one is better than the other is impossible without first establishing the OP's main requirements.

For a smooth supple OE type ride one might choose FVD's
replacement bushes. Compared to other types these lack in cornering and braking stability, especially at a later life cycle stage since these have the tendency to dry out and crack offering significantly reduced control up to the point of becoming dangerous.

RS hardness rubber bushes ( I think also available through FVD next to ER) give a firmer ride, whilst at the same time offering better control. These bushes have the same tendency to age as the OE type bushes.

Poly bushes (walrod or Powerflex) give even firmer control of suspension geometry during cornering and braking...at the expense of an even firmer ride / increased NVH. These bushes don't really age, they don't squeel when properly installed (!) and after having been fitted are very easy to replace (minutes!) in the future if necessary. These are closest to ball joint geometry control performance. They are about half the consumer price of rubber bushes.

Steel ball joint. Ultimate performance in geometry control, worst in NVH and longevity. Expensive.

As said, everything is a compromise...personal favour dictates what is best suited.

Last edited by evoderby; 10-25-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:31 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Walrod bushings in my car (urethane about $100 for the car) They have been in my car now for 3 years, Absolutley no noise, not all urethane bushings are created the same.

it is generally those that have not see the Walrod bushings say that "All" urethane bushings squeak or make noise. Chris Walrod designed a bushing that is cheaper, easy to install and doesn't squeak.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:52 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 On the Walrod Bushes. They are an excellent value.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
I have the Walrod bushings in my car (urethane about $100 for the car) They have been in my car now for 3 years, Absolutley no noise, not all urethane bushings are created the same.

it is generally those that have not see the Walrod bushings say that "All" urethane bushings squeak or make noise. Chris Walrod designed a bushing that is cheaper, easy to install and doesn't squeak.
+1 - no squeaking here....
Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

+ 1 on Walrod bushings.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have recently had FD Motorsports install the Walrod poly bushings on Rufus. No squeaking, and any increase in NVH is not noticeable by my uncalibrated butt. Highly recommended.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SSN (Super Sticky Nasty) grease Chris supplies with the "Walrod" bushing kits is fantastic and an important part of the design solution he came up with to avoid the typical PU squeak you can get with other products.

Just keep it contained, if you can... it seems to get everywhere. And it travels...
to your tools
tool chest
shirt
hair
car
kitchen
children
and their yet to be born children
etc.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by geolab
if you decide on the bushings sited above, I will send you the factory address which is next to you in Switzerland. There are normal bushings and RS bushings. With the savings, you could spare a membership here and an introduction
Done! Please pm me Is this the FD motorsport bushings? I guess they're all going to be similar - just dont want ****ty chinese or complete new control arms. thx for the help
Old 10-25-2011, 05:02 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

FDM carries the Walrod bushings. My 2 cents, they are the best. If you do a search for Walrod bushings on this site you will find plenty of positive feedback.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
FDM carries the Walrod bushings. My 2 cents, they are the best. If you do a search for Walrod bushings on this site you will find plenty of positive feedback.
Best for what/ Why are they the best?

Quick Reply: front lower control arm bushings