Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 vs. mazda cx9??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:26 AM
sds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all wildly off topic. You all should be taught some German discipline.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 AM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Vince, you're 100% right. I will try to resists from now on. Thanks for the reality check.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by serval
Vince, you're 100% right. I will try to resists from now on. Thanks for the reality check.
es ist nichts. Now, tell us about the Vantage!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Richard Kent
Advanced

Originally Posted by vincer77
The CX9 weighs 1000 lbs more than the 993. You should have torn it up.

Getting back on topic a bit... after looking at the performance specs of the CX-9 vs your Tip 993, the Tip is killing your performance, being caught in the wrong gear in a 6 speed 993 and jumping on the throttle would produce similar results.
The CX-9 has a six speed automatic transmission, but still.... it is heavier with the same 272 or so hp.
I definitely don't condone street "contests" but if you are so concerned about performance, just curious to know why you purchased a Tip....

I was perfectly happy with the performance in my 95 6 speed 993 cab especially coming from a 82 911SC until I drove a 993 turbo....
After that drive I was on a mission to get a 993 turbo and had a deal set on a 97 until it fell through at the last minute, and in some ways I am glad I am still happily "stuck" with my 95 993.

Enjoy driving an amazing car that makes you smile without having to "out drag" someone on a freeway ramp or interchange.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Hate to give you the bad news

But you were victim of the "bigger fool theory". You can strap all the SC's and turbo's you want on a car. If a driver is willing to put himself, other families, and the general population at risk, they can outrun a sane person unwilling to take those risks. Proves nothing, a nut in a Chevy Luv pickup will outrun a GT3 on public streets if he's willing to do anything to get ahead.

Don't get sucked into the trap.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
But you were victim of the "bigger fool theory". You can strap all the SC's and turbo's you want on a car. If a driver is willing to put himself, other families, and the general population at risk, they can outrun a sane person unwilling to take those risks. Proves nothing, a nut in a Chevy Luv pickup will outrun a GT3 on public streets if he's willing to do anything to get ahead.

Don't get sucked into the trap.
+993. I get "challenged" all the time. Don't buy into it. There are a lot of cars out there that will keep up with 993s in a straight line, or interstate driving. But, few will stop in an emergency, or avoid problems like a 993. That idiot you described going onto the shoulder is going to get YOU put in jail.

100MPH in a 993 is actually pretty safe with a sober, competent driver at the wheel. That Chevy pickup will run with you until all lanes are blocked ahead, and the shoulder is non-existent. Then the witnesses will say:"He was racing that Porsche!" and you're ****ed, even though you safely stopped.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 AM
993polartip
Advanced

Guys,

Yes will not get suckered in for now though to answer why did i get a TIP? I suppose it's more that I live in city with crazy traffic and having the Tip would make me enjoy the car MORE days out of the week than if it were a stick. Obviously there are those Sundays when I do crave for a Stick but am really happy with my Tip right now especially after a few performance mods.

At first I suppose when I saw the CX9 in my rear view mirror I was surprised so I didn't let up on the gas but when I saw that he was just irresponsible, I let him go... Besides, he didn't deserve a proper race being an SUV I just wanted to share that i was surprised at the modern day hp and power that modern cars churn out nowadays.

But I agree you put a nut behind a hybrid and he can outrun a civilized driver

cheers guys
Old 10-30-2011, 09:18 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I know this thread has gone to the shyts but ...
A CX9 hooned by me today on the freeway. I watched him gun it and he kept going. I smiled and drove on and thought about this thread.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Jon93
Intermediate

(brand new user on here, first post so naturally can disregard everything I write )

I was sitting at the lights yesterday morning quietly minding my own business when a 996 turbo pulled along side. Looked me over, then when lights when green he gunned it...

Was I supposed to drag him? He would of known I couldn't of any way since I'm only in a 993 C4S. Any surely he would have known that I would know that too. So why bother. I enjoyed it though. Heres to new experiences....
Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are we just too cool in the Bay Area to have this sort of stuff happen? It's been DECADES since I've run across anyone caring that I drive a 911, let alone get into a street altercation.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:51 AM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Are we just too cool in the Bay Area to have this sort of stuff happen? It's been DECADES since I've run across anyone caring that I drive a 911, let alone get into a street altercation.
That's the way it seems to me. The most frequent reaction I get is from bikers on the backroads I take to work who wave at me to slow down because they assume (incorrectly) that I'm speeding and defiling what they consider to be their private bike path.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:04 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I was driving home from Munich yesterday and a new Golf R started to accompany me. The roads where empty enough to travel at a good speed up to 150mph + and the Golf stayed with me at a safe distance and in the other lane on a 3 lane Autobahn section. It was fun to see what modern cars can do these days.
Only when winding out 5th and some time in 6th did I get a bit of distance between us but almost not worth mentioning it.
I enjoyed the opportunity to stretch the car's legs a few times w/o traffic as I know these times are rare, always checking the rear view mirror for faster cars.
Not exactly a Mazda but somewhat equal Hp and a fun trip.
Ed
Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a ridiculous thread........
It's like you're dating Cameron Diaz, but you're think a hot 19yo Russian model might give a better BJ........who cares ??? You're dating Cameron friggen Diaz !!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon93
Was I supposed to drag him? He would have known I couldn't have any way since I'm only in a 993 C4S. Any surely he would have known that I would know that too. So why bother. I enjoyed it though. Heres to new experiences....
And what does getting to the next light first when you have gobs more HP prove anyway. Its not like the driver was the reason. Just another one suffering from short pecker syndrome.

I come across those from time to time in various brands of cars.

Its fun not taking the bait even when you know you have the advantage. It seems to upset them. Good!

Quick Reply: 993 vs. mazda cx9??