Sponsored by:

HVAC vacuum pipe gurus - help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:00 PM
samba-lee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC vacuum pipe gurus - help please

My fresh air flap (actuated by the diaphragm behind the HVAC unit) and operated by the solenoid out in the boot heater area is not working.

I pulled the white vacuum pipe from the solenoid and gave it a suck and heard the fresh air flap actuate inside the cabin this proving that part of the system is ok. I pulled off the input vacuum from the solenoid and expected to hear a hiss but nothing so I assume the pipe is either holed or not attached at the business end.

So the question is where does this pipe attach in the vacuum system ? it appears to disappear into the main loom. Does it attached to the vacuum tree behind the heater blower fan ?

thanks in advance

Lee
Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 256 Posts

Have a look at the diagram:
http://privat.bluezone.no/toreb2000/...schematics.pdf
From the web site: www.ccu.tore.bergvill.com
Cheers,
Tore
Old 10-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

It attaches to a T fitting in the engine bay on the drivers side right around the heater blower motor.

You should remove the blower assembly, then see the black hard vacuum hose coming form a hole in the cars body.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:37 PM
samba-lee
Instructor

Cool. So I pulled the blower and found the end of the pipe which dissapears into a section of the loom, goes across behind the engine then through a grommet on the right side of the car (I'm in the UK). This then joins the larger section of loom which runs over the rear wheel arch and down along the floor beside the drivers seat then up into the dash board. I peeked into the loom here and see the pipe.

With both ends disconnected I blew air down the front end and could feel it at the rear blower end. The diagram suggests it's just one continuous length and given there are no other vacuum applications along the way from rear to front I figure it is. This means there is a break or hole in the pipe along this length - it's weird since it it buried in the loom which is inside the car. I plan to pull the drivers seat break into the loom and cut the pipe to determine if it the hole is in the front or rear half of the pipe then I'll have to run a new section.

I vacuum tested the rest of the system with this pipe disconnected at the rear and it help the vacuum no problem.

Now I need to find some 4mm OD x1mm plastic pipe...

Lee
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 AM
samba-lee
Instructor

Fixed this. I found a previous electrical short circuit on the door pin switch circuit had caused one of the loom earth wires to cook along some of it's length (without blowing a fuse!). This had melted through a section of the HVAC pipe which goes from the engine to the front of the car - the holed section was in the loom under the carpet behind the rear side trim panels - unbelievable!

I had previously been aware of an electrical gremlin when the interior lights started misbehaving and ended up (unaware of the problem in the loom without unwrapping the insulation) bypassing the faulty wire which I now know to have short circuited.

I cut the section (1") of pipe out, and used rubber vacuum pipe to rejoin.

Lee
Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 AM
01coccobet
Racer

did you take any pics?
this will be appreciated.....
Old 10-30-2011, 03:42 PM
samba-lee
Instructor

Sorry, I didn't take any this time (I normally do for every job). I figured this was a very unique situation with the shorted wire. I think the after market alarm was part of the problem.

Happy to help anyone with this sort of problem or access to the loom.

Lee

Follow me on facebook :: Owning-a-Ferrari-360

leegriffiths.blogspot.com

Quick Reply: HVAC vacuum pipe gurus - help please