Does it make sense to do major upgrades for DEs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:26 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim W
<snip>
What do you think? Would you just be satisfied where you are, upgrade a little, a lot or move to a different car. If you are an upgrader what do you reccommend?

(I ask this knowing some of you can run with the 'better' cars already. For you, how did you get there and are you tempted to move up?)
to answer your subject line question, No at least not for me or most people I know.
For you = ?

best upgrade paths to make the car as capable as possible without digging into the engine =;
  • lighten the car as much as reasonably possible, a few locals have done so and gotten down to ~ 2400 pounds including a full cage.
  • when adding lightweight bodywork, make provisions for optimal wheel / tire widths.
  • add your favorite modified exhaust and air cleaner.
  • chip and tune.
  • have a pro work with you to optimize suspension and driving technique

WARNING, at least one guy that has followed this path and "ruined" a sweet 4S wishes he would have never wasted time and money modding his car and just bought a more capable car in the beginning, (but I was able to score some interesting goodies from him in the process ).

Once you make it as capable as you'd like it's very unlikely you'll ever drive it on the street again.

Have fun,

Craig
Old 10-18-2011, 12:35 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Uniformly best was the club race group, and the pro level drivers (Crescentini and Sofronas) in various Cups.
i was pretty amazed by how quickly those two were when passing the 956 / 962 variants. I know that the vintage cars are high $$$$$$$ pieces, but i was left wondering how much of the pace difference was because of,
  1. tentative driving of a piece of history or
  2. race technology moving on in 30 years
craig
Old 10-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
i was pretty amazed by how quickly those two were when passing the 956 / 962 variants. I know that the vintage cars are high $$$$$$$ pieces, but i was left wondering how much of the pace difference was because of,
craig
I think it's a combination of driver skill (or lack thereof) and the rarity/price of the cars. With around 750hp in a 2,000lb chassis on slicks and aero, 962's should be invincible against lowly 997 cups.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my first 993 10 years ago with a mild track setup. pss-9 r comp tires and track pads,
I would run with the fastest in my instructor groups win my class in pca time trials etc..
I also would do about 10 track days a year then. Now I have a stock 993 on street tires and I have a difficult time holding my own in the instructor session. Even spec miatas are tough for me to fight off at Summit Point. I do have a total of six track days in the past 3 years and I have gotten slower as the technology of newer cars has improved. I believe i can get back to where I was with more track time.
But I am tempted for more hp to help me get faster as well. Even though I am an instructor and have been since the late 90's I do need more training.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:49 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
craig
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I think it's a combination of driver skill (or lack thereof) and the rarity/price of the cars. With around 750hp in a 2,000lb chassis on slicks and aero, 962's should be invincible against lowly 997 cups.
I'm not going to go totally OT here and get into the above, but there's a LOT of discussion to be had about what vintage racing is/purports to be. I'll make up another thread with the lap time sheets (some race results, some qual and warmup), and we can discuss who's out there for blood v. who wants to celebrate the era of the machinery.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I truly think DEs are more driver skill then horsepower. I remember at Road America watching a Spec 944 blowing the doors off most other cars on the track.

After my first year of doing DEs my instructor cautioned against doing a bunch of mods like big red brakes and PSS-10s, and recommended getting better seats, a 5-point harness, a roll bar, and a hans helmet. I went ahead and did the suspension--mostly because I got a good deal from Viper Bob. I cut corners and bought a BK harness truss instead of doing it right with seats and a bar. After one track event I realized my mistake. You want to go faster spend $3,000 to $6,000 for some good seats that will allow you to use full harnesses, and get a DAS roll bar for safety. You will be faster and have more fun all because you are strapped in correctly. The bonus for all this is your wife will concur with the purchases because of the safety aspect.

Take care,
--Joe
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim W
I know their are many ways to take this question and also that is ultimately up to the owner to decide what is right for them but I would like to hear some thoughts from this august grouping.
I like to run with the some of the more modern cars (997's) if possible, Gt3's if possible with my 993. Aside from driver talent, which I know is most important, is it really possible to make a 993 competitive. And if so is it at such a cost that its silly. By that I mean that even though I love my 993 it still seems questionable to spend $20-30k on upgrades to a $30k car when you could probably use that to get into a 997 or 996 GT3 and do better yet.
My car already has upgraded suspension and brakes but the newer cars are still easily faster. I am sometimes tempted to look into power upgrades (SC or 9M heads) but even if you could match their power would the inherent chassis and other deficiencies make parity a pipe dream?
What do you think? Would you just be satisfied where you are, upgrade a little, a lot or move to a different car. If you are an upgrader what do you reccommend?

(I ask this knowing some of you can run with the 'better' cars already. For you, how did you get there and are you tempted to move up?)
It makes sense from the point of view that a well setup modified car is much more enjoyable on a track than any stock setup car. But you will never be able to top the Boxster/Cayman S or well setup 996s let alone a GT3.

I'd concentrate on the best suspension that can be installed followed by the best geared trans that you can afford.

A cheaper way to go about it might be to by a later car or if you like projects an SC/RS type car w/ 3.6.

But it also depends on the region if you get an entries like this fuh get aboud it!

The car w/ orange wheels iss by far the slowest in the picture
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I like the blue car with the orange wheels and mirrors in the background.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bb993tt
^^ I like the blue car with the orange wheels and mirrors in the background.
Me too, but it's still slow compared to your car or Bill C's 550hp Riv Blau tt just peaking it's nose out next to mine or the 993RSR(Baron J was running sub 2:00 at WGI w/it ) across the aisle, heck the street GT3s GT3RS and Boxster/Cayman S beat me up badly for the past 2 days, the only cars in my range were a setup 996, and a couple of stockish 964/944s

But the point is any well setup car is going to be more fun, jsy not as ultimatly quick as some of the later offerings unless you spend cubic $s to get something relly special.

I know of a couple of projects were 997 Cup engines are going in 993s, that should be really sweet
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There are a million ways to make the car faster, including buying more car. What are your goals as a driver? Personally, I find myself dialing back lately, to a point somewhere beneath my ragged edge where I can learn something new with my weekend. It's working for me, I'm carrying almost as much speed as I used to and relying less on brakes and power to get me there. I am definitely not the fastest hack in the red run group; the day I tell myself I'm done learning is the day I get a bus pass.

It's ridiculous how much horsepower is out there lately. I love my 997 and won't stop driving it on the track, but I'm seriously considering a cheap, light trackbitch that cuts cost and relies heavily on my input to drive clean. I'd spend a tenth of your suggested 993 upgrade budget on one of the following: pro coach or momentum car. Your car will feel twice as fast after stepping out of a Miata.

Happy hunting!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by number9ine
There are a million ways to make the car faster, including buying more car. What are your goals as a driver? Personally, I find myself dialing back lately, to a point somewhere beneath my ragged edge where I can learn something new with my weekend. It's working for me, I'm carrying almost as much speed as I used to and relying less on brakes and power to get me there. I may not be the fastest hack in the red run group, but the day I tell myself I'm done learning is the day I get a bus pass.

It's ridiculous how much horsepower is out there lately. I love my 997 and won't stop driving it on the track, but I'm seriously considering a cheap, light trackbitch that cuts cost and relies heavily on my input to drive clean. I'd spend a tenth of your suggested 993 upgrade budget on one of the following: pro coach or momentum car. Your car will feel twice as fast after stepping out of a Miata.

Happy hunting!
That's the truth, one of the guys in my group just stepped from a '10 997Gt3RS to a '90s 964RSA but full stock class race prep, this was his first DE w/ the car, he was absolutely ecstatic about his new ride and doing quite well w/ it too.

Quick Reply: Does it make sense to do major upgrades for DEs