993 Forum 1995-1998

993 284 up to 320 hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Anders T.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 284 up to 320 hp

Anyone who have experiance of this kit? Sounds like a nice winter job.

http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/99...el2_320HP.html
Old 10-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Anders,

Based on my experience with very similar components, 320 BHP is quite optimistic. We have done quite a number of these cars with RS cams, modified mufflers and custom software and they all make around 308-310BHP on our engine dyno with 93 octane (98 RON) fuel.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:45 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the RS cams, and since you are based in Sweden, consider getting a 4l kit from Capricorn. Then get a custom chip from Steve Wong. They say they make components for F1 teams and supply most of the US tuners for their Pistons and Cylinders.

But then, you could keep your car stock and just use your 430 for getting an adrenaline rush.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with camlob. Keep your 430 for fast fix. The 993 donk is hard/expensive to win power with.

My experience is you probably can get to 295bhp from 284 by going to a catless X-over pipe like Dach X or Fabspeed, RSR or FD muffler boxes, and having chip reprogrammed by Steve. This is fairly cheap to do. Maybe $2000 usd all up. If you go RS LWFC and single alternator pulley you will benefit by faster throttle response which is nice.

From my own experience (you can look for threads from Camlob and myself on our cars), going down the route of changing cams can get expensive and with considerable costs of both parts and labour with things such as 4.0l upgrades, aftermarket ECUs, ITBs, injectors and Dyno time and expert tuning.

I agree with Steve that in real terms on a realistic dyno or engine dyno you will unlikely see more than 310 bhp with 3.8 kit and RS cams.

I have 3.6l with 993SS cams (backdated solid lifters) which are a fraction more aggressive than the RS cams. With Dach X cross over pipe, RSR mufflers, higher flow and more modern injectors, MAP sensor and cone filter with custom housing, and aftermarket Motec style computer and a whole load of dyno/tuning time I got 308 PS and 270lbft real world figures. Total cost around $8500 usd inc labour.

Camlob got a bunch more hp with a far more aggressive cam than mine, ITBs, strengths internals (rods, bolts etc), 4.0l heads, pistons etc etc etc. Im not sure what he spent but if I estimated if I had have gone that route probably in excess of 18k usd inc labour.

If you want my advice, go with the low cost option mentioned, spend a few k getting rid of 50-100kg from the car (seats are a good place to start), LWFC and maybe LSD, get the suspension sorted and you will feel like you have a car that is making 320 bhp for a fraction of the cost of a 3.8 or 4.0l upgrade....and no significant compromises either. Its those compromises on the more complex HP upgrades that take the time and money to tune or sort out....

Cheers
Old 10-16-2011, 10:16 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Want 320HP? Supercharge it.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:50 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah +1 on all the above.
SC is probably the best bang for buck on these cars.
Opening up the engine and trying to get a good HP increase is going to cost a lot of cash.
A 993 with suspension work, ECU, increased exhaust noise, and weight reduction, is probably the best upgrade option to take.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:08 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Want 320HP? Supercharge it.
I like the idea of supercharging, but have not personally seen what stress it puts on the engine internals - life is not free, and I suspect wear/tear and chance of failure must go up a lot with these sort of kits. Also the same with the externals, like transmissions, drivelines, etc.

I pondered about putting a kit like this on my NA car a while back, but decided at the end to go 993tt - the reason? I was changing a transmission off a 993C4, and ordered a 993tt coupling instead of the one needed by mistake - and I was surprised by how much larger it was to take the power. I love cars that are engineered from the bottom up to handle the power given!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Having owned a supercharged 964 that I (and the previous owners) tracked extensively, I have nothing but positive impressions. Blackstone Oil analyses showed minimal bearing wear over the years compared to a similarly pushed NA engine. The supercharger is the best bang for the buck IMO.

If price was no object however, I would go with a 9M/Motec full engine rebuild.

I agree the 993TT is engineered to perfection and if resale value is part of the equation then those should be looked at as well.

Quick Reply: 993 284 up to 320 hp