Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Tone Interior or Leave Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:40 PM
got*ki
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thought would be to take a second to make a list of potential mods. You'll find that there are so many mods to do and the cost adds up so quickly that you may find that you can live with a decent interior for a short time while you put the other mods in place.

Fister exhaust (being a Harley owner- you can relate to this one)
Suspension
Wheels
etc....

Just speaking from experience......
Old 10-16-2011, 06:15 PM
HD97
Rennlist Member

Trust me I have a list just like everyone else. For some reason I'm focused on cosmetics right now just to get the car to suit my eye and go from there. I have the Motor Sound Package which was a factory exhaust option and I really like the sound. I don't know if there is any performance enhancement but it sounds cool. I have changed wheels to BBS turbo twist II, I know not LW but they look good and I'm saving (again) for TechArt Formulas. I will be looking into suspension over the winter.

Last edited by HD97; 10-16-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive attached a few images from my files that Ive poached over the years. Some examples here of factory and custom classic grey/black mixes. The one with the blonde may be a bit more difficult to replicate. Im still trying...no luck yet.....

Ive also attached a few of mine with carbon as the black offset.

My advise having spent alot of time and money on the interior is this. Keep it simple. Go for a black three spoke wheel you can buy at a good price on ebay. Alternatively send you grey one away to be made carbon and grey. Sometimes an all black wheel is too much. Black carpets are simple. Then i would re skin the door panels with a black leather (the part where the window lifters etc are mounted. This will make a nice contrast and tie in with the black strip on the dash. That look can be achieved for under 2k including labor and is the best bank for buck....IMHO

Cheers
Attached Images      
Old 10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Maybe add some black pedals too. Those aren't expensive...
Attached Images    
Old 10-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images    
Old 10-16-2011, 07:19 PM
HD97
Rennlist Member

Great input! It never ends does it? The carbon just isn't my thing, no offense just personal taste. I'm going to be shopping for black pedals now - need those, that wasn't on the list. And the blonde, that's going to be expensive, that wasn't on the list either. Whatever scheme I settle on it's going to be leather with contrast stitching, it's just a matter of how much and where. I think this where I am going to start and have Classic 9 wrap the upper and lower dash, door tops, and wheel with color crest. Then, if I like it after a while send him the door panels and handles to wrap in gray leather rather than vinyl. The question for phase 1 is now the shift boot and brake handle??
Attached Images  

Last edited by HD97; 10-16-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to comment on the blonde
Old 10-16-2011, 08:43 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Sorry in advance-

Gray is the worst color in the 993 era because it turns purple-ee over time... the red seems to
shift especially on the carpet.

So whatever you do, since you are set on modifying the car, get rid of that nasty carpet....
Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi ssarchi.

I beg to differ. The signature colour for the 993 when it was launched in 1993 was midnight blue with classic grey interior. I like it. Makes the cabin feel airy and modern. Hasnt dated much and isnt blinding or hot to sit in. Its also easy to configure with an alternate colour such as black.

My car was built inn 1993 so is almost 20 years old. Ive had it over one dozen of those years. The grey hasnt changed at all - at least on the doors, dash, steering wheel etc. At least not to my eyes. The carpet hasnt changed noticeably either when I compare to digital images I have of the interior 12 years ago when I got the car. I must agree however that the camera can make the carpet look a bit pinkish in certain lights - white balance can be an issue as well as light reflection from different angled surfaces. In the flesh however the colour is very evenly saturated. I think this is a trick of the camera as in certain lights you can also pick up the differences between the vinyl (dash etc) colour classic grey and the leather classic grey and carpet grey. Manufacturing different materials in the same colour is almost impossible (to get the perfect match). this perhaps is the only real downfall of the colour. Over time fade rates may differ too - however this pretty much will happen to all coloured interiors even black.

My 2c worth.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Aatos
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Maybe add some black pedals too. Those aren't expensive...
Hey Macca where to get those exact pedals? I checked pelican and couldn't find 'em.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sullivan Racing Products. Huge range of finishes and styles for Porsche. Top quality....
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search under my username, I've posted pics of my cab's interior which was originally primarily tan and has since been converted to tan/black.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:03 AM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by HD97
Great input! It never ends does it? The carbon just isn't my thing, no offense just personal taste. I'm going to be shopping for black pedals now - need those, that wasn't on the list. And the blonde, that's going to be expensive, that wasn't on the list either. Whatever scheme I settle on it's going to be leather with contrast stitching, it's just a matter of how much and where. I think this where I am going to start and have Classic 9 wrap the upper and lower dash, door tops, and wheel with color crest. Then, if I like it after a while send him the door panels and handles to wrap in gray leather rather than vinyl. The question for phase 1 is now the shift boot and brake handle??
I like this combination from a for sale thread;

just replace grey for red in picture

Quick Reply: Two Tone Interior or Leave Stock?