993 Forum 1995-1998

Need Help - Front Drop Link Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 PM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Need Help - Front Drop Link Question

993 suspension gurus, I need some help. Ive noticed lately that my car hasnt been handling the same. Upon further inspection I noticed my front drivers side drop link literally sheared in half. It looked like a stock front drop link (its a 98 C2S non-m030) so I ordered a replacement link from DC Auto part # 993.343.071.00 & 993.343.072.00. I just tried replacing the part and it seems like the new links will not fit. Please note the photos below, upon further inspection the links seem to be dramatically different, the broken one has much more curvature to it and seems to be 1/2in shorter. Did I order the wrong parts? Is this a different link than the stock piece or did DCauto send me the wrong parts? I couldnt find any Porsche part number on either, however they did have different numbers on the rubber boots

Link on car - 03034 020 000 110 12
New Link - 16002 020 000 110 12

Also, I should note the car has an aftermarket front sway bar from TRG

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images    
Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default I have the TRG front sway bar, and I....

replaced the stock links with adjustable links from Tarrett Engineering. Love these links.

Am I "upside down today", or is it the pics?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 359 Posts

w/ the bigger TRG sways i'd use RS drop links though in front at least straight ones can be used

these are f/r RS links

you can use a straight link in front

there is the concern about the brake likes though which the curved Rs links alleviate

Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM
JZ98-993
Racer

Thanks Guys - so I was able to verify the part #'s are the exact same. My car is lowered in the front by1.2in with Eibach springs and stock shocks. Im assuming these bars were bent to fit the lowered height? That being said, it seems like the adjustable bars are the way to go, but can you fill me in on the issues with the straight links and the brake lines?

Also - are you guys using the Tarrett and RS links with the TRG bars? THX
Old 10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ98-993
Thanks Guys - so I was able to verify the part #'s are the exact same. My car is lowered in the front by1.2in with Eibach springs and stock shocks. Im assuming these bars were bent to fit the lowered height? That being said, it seems like the adjustable bars are the way to go, but can you fill me in on the issues with the straight links and the brake lines?

Also - are you guys using the Tarrett and RS links with the TRG bars? THX
lowered or not makes no difference wrt the drop links, You do want heavier duty droplinks w/ stiffer sways

as to the brake line look at the last pic I posted, see the brake line? see the drop link, imagine the drop link being straight. TRG will be similar.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Aatos
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumb related question: I have noticeably lowered car, stock sways and stock droplinks in front and rear. What problems does this cause and should I replace them with M030 or RS droplinks?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aatos,
I am in the same boat as you. Lowered with stock sways and drop links. Unless the sway bars have been upgraded I doubt there is much benefit to upgrading the drop links. When you do go to the larger sway bar than the drop link will become the weak link and will flex reducing the effect of your new sway bar.
My gut feeling tells me the stiffer springs on the car leaves less work for the sway bars to do.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks to me like your original links were bent by someone. The more pressing concern with the straight links is that they actually hit the brake lines when you turn full lock. That could lead to a brake failure.

I went with the RS front links.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 PM
JZ98-993
Racer

Thanks guys, I have a set of rs links on order. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 03-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Just to be safe....

....order Tarrett adjustable drop links. Me, and many like me, swear by them.

As I recall, when I went to M030 RoW, used the stock drop links.

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Dug up this old post when researching my upcoming M030 sway upgrade. I recall (and verified) with my buddy Adam that when we did this upgrade on our 4S cars we didn't need new drop links up front. But I assume with my 2S I will need to get new drop links for the front. My questions are:

What different drop links do I need for the front? What are the part numbers? Do I need the Porsche RS drop links for a M030 sway upgrade or is there a comprobable part that will work for me? I don't track.

What about the rears. Going only from memory can't I just use the exisiting rear drop links? If not what are the part numbers for the necessary rear drop links?

Found these from my search but obviously need some help here. TIA.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:18 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
....order Tarrett adjustable drop links.
Martin, if those are like the ones pictured in Bill V's post above, are they out in the open like that without any grease or rubber boots? if so, how long would they last?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Good news...

Boots are now available for Tarrett drop links, $35 a pair I believe. I have them on my car.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:11 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have TRG sway bars and was continually breaking the RS drop links. As soon as I went to the Tarrett links the issues stopped. They are cheaper and have replaceable hardware.

I have had mine for 3 years and no boots without any play in the ball joints. I am doing a complete mechanical refresh this winter and replacing all my rod-ends in the process and putting the boots on them.

The Boots are available from a number of different suppliers for $25 to $28 for a packet of 6, Tarret is a little expensive for the boots.

Here is the manufacturers site http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp
Old 03-03-2012, 11:16 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
I have TRG sway bars and was continually breaking the RS drop links. As soon as I went to the Tarrett links the issues stopped. They are cheaper and have replaceable hardware.

I have had mine for 3 years and no boots without any play in the ball joints. I am doing a complete mechanical refresh this winter and replacing all my rod-ends in the process and putting the boots on them.

The Boots are available from a number of different suppliers for $25 to $28 for a packet of 6, Tarret is a little expensive for the boots.

Here is the manufacturers site http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp
Steven,

I have TRG bars on the way and didnt order the tarret links for the front. I have them for the back. I could use the stock ones in the meantime?

What setting should I put the sway bars at? Middle? I have JIC 8 and 10k springs with the damper 5 clicks from full hard. Its on the stiff side for normal road use but soft for track.

Paul
Old 03-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JZ98-993:

I raced a 993 with a TRG bar up front for several years. It broke several drop links until we discovered that it was not perfectly centered. I realize that this isn't your question and that drop links do break from time to time but do check and make sure it is centered. I never broke another drop link after reinstalling it correctly.

Hope that helps someone,
Hank

Quick Reply: Need Help - Front Drop Link Question