Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yikes....I have to get busy wrenching!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WEVO mounts are a great product, if I didn't make mine I would have bought theirs.

They firm up the "feel" of the car, and transmit a bit more noise into the cabin. I am not sure how much it actually stiffens up the chassis... I doubt much at all. If your motor mounts are soft/mushy then the shifting will feel better with the stiffer motor mounts.
I really want to put a semi-solid trans-mount in my car to compliment the motor mounts but it seems like a real PITA so it will wait for a clutch job...

The Walrod bushings make a huge difference if your front bushings have gone "soft". Mine had the infamous 55mph shimmy which went away with the suspension overhaul.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

My front end bushings feel a bit too compliant as they are right now..
Old 10-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good thread. I am subscribing.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 AM
funbug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I have that down, and have all the collars.
Why 2 collars? Do the new shocks normally come with 2 collars or do you have to buy extra ones?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Need extra collars to lock down the sway bar perch. Don't ask me why they didn't include them - but when you do the install you understand that the way they have it designed does not work.

New engine mounts make the engine feel like it is part of the car and gives you more confidence when cornering. With worn mounts you can feel that the engine is swaying to one side and making you feel that the rear end is on its limits. Engine mounts also make gear shifting smoother. Did not change cabin noise for me at all. I went wevo black semi solid. Cost about 300 bucks I think - for both. Install takes about 15 minutes. Big effort to feel/benefit ratio. I rate this modification/renew in the top 4 bang for buck, night and day difference feel changes to the 993. Other 3 would be HID lights, SW chip, and supercharger.

I ran HD/30 - you may find stock height is a little high. I ran +10 RS height and have no problems. And the stance looks nice and sporty. I noticed that it took more than a month for the springs and dampers to settle in - so you may want to wait a while before you get the alignment and corner balance. My car has dropped a little over what I set it to. And I wanted about 2 weeks before getting the alignment.

Kinematic toe adjust could be a problem - try to find someone in the know when you align. I went with sport alignment - it's nice - I would recommend it.

Good luck
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

My shocks came stock with the collars, as they should IMO.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:08 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Not bad - who was your source Ed?
They gave you 2 collars on either side - that's the way it should be.
Note - that on my rears - when I had the collar as low as possible and then the sway bar perch and then the upper collar - I could only get as low as RS+10.
Dial in the rear as best you can when you install them and bolt it up. The fronts are easy to change the height - but the rears take a lot more work to adjust.
The DIY suspenion guide is pretty spot on.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Not bad - who was your source Ed?
They gave you 2 collars on either side - that's the way it should be.
Note - that on my rears - when I had the collar as low as possible and then the sway bar perch and then the upper collar - I could only get as low as RS+10.
Dial in the rear as best you can when you install them and bolt it up. The fronts are easy to change the height - but the rears take a lot more work to adjust.
The DIY suspenion guide is pretty spot on.
Thanks for the pointers. I got the shocks at FD Motorsports.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:23 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Check the rear toe arms while you're in there...
Old 10-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993James993
Ed, could you explain the difference between the M030 and M033 springs and why you chose the M033s? I am considering a similar set up for the '90.

Are you doing the install yourself? If so would you consider documenting everything with photos and posting them? I'm sure that thread would be very popular.
The MO33 are very similar in spring rate to what is stock, and I believe, linear. The MO30 is the sport version with a progressive spring rate.

I will be installing myself. I'll try and document it fairly well and post.

There is a Suspension DIY thread here that is great, the OP changed hosting, so the pics and such went away. I think he's selling a PDF version for minimal cost. It's been the bible on how-to for this project, for many on here I'm sure.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Ed,
If you have ever done suspension work before (and I am sure you have) than the 993 is cake to work on. No spring compressors or surprises. The Walrod bushings will be the hardest part, and that's more time consuming and stinky than anything else. With your lift you can definitely get it all done in one day, but it's more fun to take two and clean stuff while you are in there.
If you don't have an 18mm combo wrench yet I would recommend buying two
Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Ed,
If you have ever done suspension work before (and I am sure you have) than the 993 is cake to work on. No spring compressors or surprises. The Walrod bushings will be the hardest part, and that's more time consuming and stinky than anything else. With your lift you can definitely get it all done in one day, but it's more fun to take two and clean stuff while you are in there.
If you don't have an 18mm combo wrench yet I would recommend buying two
I've designed and installed a pretty nice suspension in the 911-Torsion bars should be tougher than springs to deal with. And I figure building a 3.4L engine has to be tougher than the Walrods!

With each year I get older, I get less inclined to do stuff in one day.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Nov 5 will be a good day:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post8955984

Quick Reply: Yikes....I have to get busy wrenching!