Sponsored by:

Front Differential Input Shaft Seal R&R

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011 | 05:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Default Front Differential Input Shaft Seal R&R

Gentlemen and ladies,

My beater 993TT has a slight leak from the front diff input shaft seal. While the fluid loss appears to be minor, I'd like to rectify this.

The seal itself is cheap at about $16.

Questions:

1. Do you need to pull the diff from the car?
2. If not, is this a diy'able replacement?
3. Procedure, if anyone has it.

Thanks all.
Old 09-18-2012 | 09:38 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Gentlemen and ladies,

My beater 993TT has a slight leak from the front diff input shaft seal. While the fluid loss appears to be minor, I'd like to rectify this.

Questions:

Thanks all.
Hi:

I need to do this and I saw your thread. Did you ever do this? I haven't found a DIY for it but I have found other posts.

Let me know if you have any pointers for me.
--Michael
Old 09-18-2012 | 10:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Michael, I didn't.

My leak actually was due to some vent overflow or something. I cleaned it all up and it hasn't leaked since.
Old 09-18-2012 | 10:15 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

I pulled mine out when I did the clutch. The shop manual says you can remove it without having to drop the front suspension. I was unable to do it without dropping the front suspension. I just couldn't get the diff to come out any other way
It doesn't take too long to do. Unfortunately you will need to realign the front afterwards. My input shaft seal was OK. I did replace both output shaft seals.
Old 09-18-2012 | 10:32 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhg41977
I pulled mine out when I did the clutch. The shop manual says you can remove it without having to drop the front suspension. I was unable to do it without dropping the front suspension. I just couldn't get the diff to come out any other way
It doesn't take too long to do. Unfortunately you will need to realign the front afterwards. My input shaft seal was OK. I did replace both output shaft seals.
Thanks. Upon closer inspection, it looks like it is my driver's side output shaft seal. I think this will be a bit easier, no?

I just ordered the part.

I found a thread about it.
--Michael
Old 09-18-2012 | 10:37 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

The shop manual says to replace the retainer clips anytime you remove the output shaft. You need to press the shafts in using a press, so I think you will have to remove the differential. I did not replace my clips, they appeared to be in good condition. I have driven 6,000 miles so far without issue or leaks. If I had known the manual said to replace them I would have. It was going to be a few weeks to get them and I was not looking forward to seeing my new to me car on the jack stands for two more weeks. I will replace them in the spring.
Old 09-18-2012 | 11:26 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

The shop manual says to replace the retainer clips anytime you remove the output shaft. You need to press the shafts in using a press, so I think you will have to remove the differential. I did not replace my clips, they appeared to be in good condition. I have driven 6,000 miles so far without issue or leaks. If I had known the manual said to replace them I would have. It was going to be a few weeks to get them and I was not looking forward to seeing my new to me car on the jack stands for two more weeks. I will replace them in the spring.
Ok. That is good to know. I have to get a shop manual. Which one do you have or recommend? I have been using DIYs on Rennlist for everything so far.
--Michael
Old 09-18-2012 | 11:51 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
Ok. That is good to know. I have to get a shop manual. Which one do you have or recommend? I have been using DIYs on Rennlist for everything so far.
--Michael
You need the Porsche shop manual...you use to be able to download a pdf version from the uk but I do not think it is there anymore...Pelican has them for about $1000 but this is overpriced (rumor is they bought most of the stock up...so maybe this is the new price) Sunset had them on sale beginning of summer for about $400...just keep checking online.
Old 09-19-2012 | 12:14 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

I got lucky and snagged one of the last sets Pelican had at the $400 price. I can try and scan those pages for you when I get back from Lime Rock Friday. I have found the set to be very useful. I'm fine figuring out how to get things apart and together but they are full of extra info like all the torque specs, wiring diagrams etc.. if you can find a set reasonably priced I would suggest picking them up.
Old 09-19-2012 | 12:15 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

You don't need to remove the differential. I did this on my car a few years ago on my back with jackstands. I had my lower control arms out to replace the bushings which gave me alot more room to work with, i'm not sure i could have done it without removing those. I've got the manuals in my garage somewhere and if i remember it states "press in with a suitable drift" I interpreted that to mean hammering the output shaft with a piece of flat round steel (suitable drift) that i had placed over the outside flange. I then used a sledge hammer to pound that steel piece and hence the shafts into place with new retainer clips, and I used plenty of grease on the shaft and covering the new clip. At first I was slowly hammering it but I realized nothing was happening and then I took a whack and really used the momentum of the sledge hammer and it went in easy. Also some advice on removing the seals, give them a whack on one side with a screwdriver to **** them and then yank em out. I remember trying to pull them with pliers and they weren't going anywhere.

Old 09-19-2012 | 10:35 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

I got lucky and snagged one of the last sets Pelican had at the $400 price. I can try and scan those pages for you when I get back from Lime Rock Friday. I have found the set to be very useful. I'm fine figuring out how to get things apart and together but they are full of extra info like all the torque specs, wiring diagrams etc.. if you can find a set reasonably priced I would suggest picking them up.
I bought a cd-r of the shop manual. I think I will check that out first before spending the multiple hundreds for the paper version. I generally like the paper versions but I can keep the laptop close by in the garage so hopefully I will be fine.
--Michael
Old 09-19-2012 | 05:56 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Gentlemen and ladies,

Questions:

Thanks all.
BTDT .... you may find this thread helpful ...
Old 09-19-2012 | 07:44 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garth S
BTDT .... you may find this thread helpful ...
That does help. Thanks.
--Michael

Quick Reply: Front Differential Input Shaft Seal R&R