Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oktoberfest, Porsche Factory Tour & Museum - You Wanted Photos.... You Got 'em

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, for my story: My friend who I go see in Stuttgart every year used to work for Porsche in the 90s. His father had also worked with Porsche for many years. We finally went to the museum this year and I figured his audio tour would be better than, or as good as, the one they offered. A couple of the cars Chuck posted had a story with them.

My friend has a wrecked 550 that he plans to rebuild one day. He was over looking at the 550 that Chuck posted, so I asked him if he was getting ideas for his car. He said, no I actually know this car quite well. Apparently it is still, or at least was until recently, raced in vintage event. He pointed out several things on the car that they had upgraded back when he worked there and told me several stories about it. Apparently it is also almost painfully loud when running inside a shop

Also, the 959. His Dad had an aftermarket Porsche VW tuning company in STR (which Bernd now runs) that had always worked closely with Porsche. He used to do a lot of electronics installs into the cars. When the 959 came out, it has some type of polymer roof structure and the way it was, it interfered with cell phone reception at the time. His father was apprenetly on the team that came up with the idea to put some sort of metal mesh inside the roof, which I think was used as an antenna of sorts.

He had several other srories about some of the cars there, like the Boxster and Panamerica prototypes, the 356 police car, etc. I had a great time there!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 AM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like a great time! I definitely need to make it over there! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Andy
Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks for the kind comments. It was truly a great trip. Three weeks flew by. I could not believe some of the places I went and the things I saw. In addition to small trips around the USA we are already planning a trip to Africa for next year.

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
What can I say, but amazing trip and pictures. You better hug your son!!!
Originally Posted by SheepHerder
Amazing Pictures, I hope my son will do this for me when I retire.
Yeah, my son is something special. He is 32 and a pleasure in my life. The three daughters aren’t bad either! Two of them and given me grandkids!

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Chuck, great photos and write up. All those car photos are amazing and you look like you had the time of your life!

So you made it as "high" as Amsterdam, huh? Hey, your words, not mine!
Haaaaaaaaaaaa……. Nice to see you picked up on that. Did you know that the coffee house sell pot but the bars don’t. Now, you can buy the pot in the coffee house and take it to the bar to smoke it. The red light district was wild.

Originally Posted by 600RR
Cool pix. Thanks for evoking memories. BTW, nice smile, dude! Easy to see why you were happy.
I think I smiled the whole trip. Those beers in Munich just made it easier!
Originally Posted by JDHertz11
BTW did anyone else notice how young Chuck is? I want to follow in your footsteps and retire young and look like Sir Richard Bransons stunt double!!!
Yeah, starting when I was 21 years old helped. Thirty six years in one carrer was enough. I have to agree, I am blessed to retire at 57 years old.
Originally Posted by camlob
Seems like you were enjoying the Oktoberfest more than the museum! LOL....care to upload more pics of the museum?
Sorry, that is all I have. You’ll have to go take some of your own.

Originally Posted by JPP
Hey buddy, welcome back! Looks like a good time was had by all, eh. That's the good news. The bad news is now that you have the 'bug' you'll be figuring out all kinds of creative ways to go to all the places you see on 'Rick Steve's' Travel shows ... it's VERY addictive :-)

This is my favorite shot of yours from the Museum. I fell in love with this little Terra Cotta Gmund beauty the last time I was there .... When Porsche introduced the Speedster at the Paris motorshow in 1954, they showed a Terra Cotta Speedster with dark blue interior .. I know it sounds odd, but it's really stunning.
Thanks. That was one pretty car. The 550 and blue Speedster had me.

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Chuck - not enough 'beer wench' pictures, but as you are an old retired guy who was away with the wife, I'll cut you some slack.

Glad you had a great time.
Haaaaa…… there is a reason I have been married for nearly 35 years. I know when the right time to look and take photos of pretty girls is. And there were some cute ones there. Those outfits … well you know.

Originally Posted by bart1
So, for my story:
Great story. I like things like that that have personal history.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Chuck-- As always: you deliver the goods! Danke.

Two things I learned: I need to...
1. retire NOW.
2. get adopted by your son

Recently, I saw the below shot of the same 964 Speedster on the webz.
If you took a close-up photo of the museum's info plate, I'm exactly certain a Facebooker could use it:
Originally Posted by TWM Performance
Originally Posted by Doug Mare

I can say for certain exactly what it is. It's a rebodied '95 wide-body 993 Speedster built for Jerry Sinefeld, 1 of 1.
Started life as either a Targa or a Cabriolet, was sent back to the factory in '98 to be rebodied as a Speedster. Apparently when he sold it it returned to factory ownership.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:37 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Chuck,
Darn, I missed you by 2 days. I hit the museum on Saturday the 24th with my German cousins. I missed Octoberfest, but made it to several nights of the local Winedorf fest instead!

So, more museum pics coming sometime when I get a chance to sort through them....(I know, tease...) I think I took 350 pictures! I've got plenty of the 917 engine display with 1/2 of engine fully disassembled to show all the innards (one of my fav things in the museum).

Keith
Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Defiantly on MY list...my wife has been taking German lessons for a couple of years now, time to put her to the test!

Jim
Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great shots and perfect way to celebrate retiring. Did the factory tour a few years back but could only go through the old museum which was tiny with just a few cars. Ah, next time.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Chuck, that's for sharing! Looks like your son is a "chip of the old block"!

Quick Reply: Oktoberfest, Porsche Factory Tour & Museum - You Wanted Photos.... You Got 'em