Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Techron and oil contamition

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the inquiry. There is no need to change your vehicle's oil after using the Techron Concentrate Plus (TCP). However, Chevron does recommend that you use no more than 5 treatments of the TCP per oil change.

With the use of the TCP there is a concentration of the product in your gas tank which is at least 10 times higher than what is in the gasoline itself. This higher dosage might create the chance that some of the product will manage to get into the oil crankcase and react with certain oil additives therein or dilute the oil itself. This is the main reason for the limitation of use - customers would not want to "overdose" and cause an unsatisfactory amount of the product to be diluting the oil. The directions for use are such that any dilution that might occur would not be a problem.

Again, It makes no difference if you add the Techron Concentrate before or after the oil change.

Regards,
Chevron Fuels Technical Services
Old 09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

What fuel system cleaner, lead additive, or octane booster should I use?
Fuel system cleaners are widely available from dozens of companies, all promising everything from helping you to pass emissions testing to increasing octane. Many do little more than put a drain on your wallet. In most cases, using a quality pump premium formulation is the best thing you can do for your engine, regardless of octane requirements. Most modern engines and fuel management systems can adjust for the increased octane and provide improved fuel economy and horsepower, so even though the octane requirement may be 87 or 91 octane, it can benefit from 93 or even 94 octane.

If you want to use a fuel system cleaner, use one that meets OEM requirements and is actually used by OEMs. Redline makes a fuel system cleaner that is good for both fuel injected and carbureted engines, called SI-1. They also make a lead substitute, called just that, Lead Substitute, that also cleans your fuel system and is safe for injectors and catalytic converters. Both are excellent products ok for continuous use or occasional cleanings.

Another product endorsed by many Porsche owners is Chevron's Techron Fuel System cleaner. There are many versions of this cleaner, but it is the most expensive one (with the highest % of Technron) that does the trick. The only caveat is that many owners recommend this cleaner should be used just before you change your oil, as the fuel system cleaner can contaminate your motor oil.
Additionally, Swepco's 503 gasoline and diesel fuel improver is an excellent fuel system cleaner, but can be expensive to ship because of hazardous material charges.

Lubro-Moly also offers several professional grade fuel system products (as well as other cleaners for cooling system and engine) that are excellent.

Regardless of which you choose, I recommending using these products at least every time you change your oil (preferably before you change it!).
If you need to boost your octane, again, if you have access to race gas, that's your best bet for a guaranteed octane boost. That said, Torco makes two race gas concentrates. One is unleaded and safe for use with catalytic converters and for street use and the other is leaded (with real lead) for OFF-ROAD USE ONLY. For example, 10 gallons of pump premium blended with 1/3rd of a bottle of either concentrate yields roughly 98 octane. In my own personal testing, the engine ran smoother and the plugs were cleaner when running their race gas concentrate, as it helps the fuel burn more completely and cleaner, regardless of the fact that it did make my carbureted engine run richer. But keep in mind that lead gets into the oil and will cause accelerated wear, so try to keep lead additives or leaded fuel limited to race engines that get oil changes frequently, if not after every race.

This is why I have done it before the oil change for over 4 years now.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I might believe that if the information was put out by a few car manufacturers along with substantiating data.

I've used Chevron Techron twice a year in my Honda. Twelve years and 130,000 miles later, the engine still runs as it did in the first year...like new.
Alex, I recall seeing it referenced in one of the Tech Forums, either in Excellence or Panorama, several months ago. I may be able to find the article if you're interested.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
Alex, I recall seeing it referenced in one of the Tech Forums, either in Excellence or Panorama, several months ago. I may be able to find the article if you're interested.
If you have a link to a PDF, post it as some of the other RLers may be interested as well. I remember reading that a few manufacturers approved/recommended it. In fact BMW would package it under their name, but it was in the same bottle.

In my case, I haven't found any disadvantage to using Chevron Techron. In fact, when I installed a new timing belt and tensioner on my Honda, I was able to check out the overhead cams. The approach side of the cam lobes weren't even scuffed; and considering they get oiled last on start-up, especially in our sub-zero winters, not too bad at 118,642 miles. So if the oil is being degraded by Chevron Techron, it had no ill effect on my engine. BTW, it has only been run on Mobil 1 since the first inspection at 1476 miles. I do all my own servicing/maintenance/inspections.

Maybe it was the cause of pre-mature catalytic converter failure at 92,115 miles.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a link to a PDF, post it as some of the other RLers may be interested as well. I remember reading that a few manufacturers approved/recommended it. In fact BMW would package it under their name, but it was in the same bottle.

In my case, I haven't found any disadvantage to using Chevron Techron. In fact, when I installed a new timing belt and tensioner on my Honda, I was able to check out the overhead cams. The approach side of the cam lobes weren't even scuffed; and considering they get oiled last on start-up, especially in our sub-zero winters, not too bad at 118,642 miles. So if the oil is being degraded by Chevron Techron, it had no ill effect on my engine. BTW, it has only been run on Mobil 1 since the first inspection at 1476 miles. I do all my own servicing/maintenance/inspections.

Maybe it was the cause of pre-mature catalytic converter failure at 92,115 miles.
I would rely more on a professional oil analysis than a visual inspection of cam lobes to tell me if there was a issue. Personally I run it 2 or 3 times a year and don't worry too much about it. Do need to do the oil analysis this next time though.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:55 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Do need to do the oil analysis this next time though.
Bill, that's all well & good, but keep in mind, one UOA will not tell you much, other than your base-line. Now, if you have done several UOA's you might be able to see a trend and a change in your results. Just an FYI.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Bill, that's all well & good, but keep in mind, one UOA will not tell you much, other than your base-line. Now, if you have done several UOA's you might be able to see a trend and a change in your results. Just an FYI.
Thanks, yes, I understand.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:59 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I would rely more on a professional oil analysis than a visual inspection of cam lobes to tell me if there was a issue.
I could wash the cams and sell them as new, even with all the miles that are on them. Thats good enough for me, plus the mileage is another indication.

I've never done an oil analysis. I've also never had an oil related failure (or any engine/transmission failure) in 35+ years of vehicle ownership. Maybe the 993 will be my first.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

I think its a bit overly ****. The 20oz that gets mixed with 19 gallons of fuel already represents a mere .8% of the total fuel burned in 1 tank. Now assume that maybe .05% of that ends up in the oil.

Thats a hundreth of an oz of fuel system cleaner ending up in 12+quarts of oil.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:49 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I'd say no. As long as you're using a quility oil and a resonable time/mileage interval for your driving conditions & style. What is your current regiment?
Originally Posted by Canyon56
However, Chevron does recommend that you use no more than 5 treatments of the TCP per oil change.

Regards,
Chevron Fuels Technical Services
Thanks for that post. Since we run twice as much oil than typical cars, it would seem to me that we could use Techron up to 10 times between oil changes in keeping with Chevron's recommendation.

As far as my regimen, I am changing oil once per year with Mobil1. Last year I had around 3,000mi, this year probably 5,000. I have used Techron for the first time and found it to really help clean-up how he engine runs and will continue to do so. A local Porsche owner who I respect uses is every other fill-up.

I'll have to see how quickly the engine "gunks up" to see how often I use it, but I will have no qualms using it multiple times between changes.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

I remember reading that a few manufacturers approved/recommended it. In fact BMW would package it under their name, but it was in the same bottle.
fwiw, Daimler AG specifically recommends Techron for their Mercedes vehicles. They also have an internal part number as an additive product which suggests they have their own proprietary blend or may re-package it, too.

It's specifically mentioned in respect to carbon buildup prevention which they say is a "concern among various engine manufactureres." (And this bulletin comes from even before they started building DFI motors which will be appearing in some of the 2012 models.)

Old 09-18-2011, 03:37 PM
DanL993
button queen

Alex (and others),

I found the article that put this in my head from a September 2010 issue of Excellence.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Thanks for posting the article. I had always wondered where this idea came from. And after the article's elaborate detail of fuel detergents and fuel injectors, the premise that Techron can contaminate oil all comes down to a "friend" who worked in customer service. And who "suggested" that it could contaminate motor oil. But did not "elaborate" on the "degradation mechanism."

Whether in print or on the internet, a rumor mill operates the same way. It's unfortunate when it comes down to a "friend who said xxx" instead of some actual analytical data. And so we still don't have any real facts here.

In the meantime, I'd probably heed what the manufacturers have said in print and what Chevron themselves suggest. But adding the product in excessive amounts could lead to the possibility of oil contamination, that's just common sense.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

While I generally schedule fuel additive treatments around oil change intervals, its important to maintain context with some of the above information.

The vast majority of 911 oil systems contain 10-12 quarts of oil and that does not become diluted in the same fashion as the average car's wet-sump system containing 5-8 qts.

If a fuel additive is used properly, no matter whether its Techron, LubroMoly, BG, Swepco, etc, I don't think one suffers any ill effects or lubrication-related problems. Moderation, like in most situations, is the key.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Steve, thanks for your input.
I have two bottles of the Techron super concentrate that is added to the tanker trucks to bring the fuel load up to specifications at the station.
I have never added any to my car, however, I have wondered if this stuff would be useful as a SAI port cleaner or diluted to be used as a fuel additive.
Your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Techron and oil contamition