Sponsored by:

Why no love for the 993 Targas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:38 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks Marc - will take a few years to get the turbo to the same state - the paint on the Targa was in great shape. it's up to the new owner now - do not think she gets the same TLC, last I saw all four wheels (once perfect) are scuffed, some below the bumper nose rubbing, etc. I do give credit to the guy though - he drives it HARD. My rebuild is still holding out strong.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, but even though she's getting beat up by someone else, it must feel good though knowing your rebuild is doing so well. Wish I had done such a monumental task.

Perhaps a top-end is the most I'll consider to tackle in years to come. in which case, I hope I can put your phone number on speed dial or buy your ticket for a visit when it comes to the tricky stuff like timing the camshafts!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RMEllis
I have had mine for about ten years and love it. I have read two things that I would like some opinions on. First the Targa wheels are intentionally heavier than the coup or the cab to balance out the extra weight of the top and lower the center of gravity. And second that you are not supposed to install bigger than 17" wheels as that will increase the vibrations which will mess with the top.
Thoughts?

Whilst I was posting the 993 TSB's years ago, I had to read all TSB's word by word to evaluate if it was necessary to post, or permissable to post.
I know that tens of thousands 993 enthusiasts copied them, but I think a majority did not read them thoroughly.

1st TSB's were for USA and the Targa designated in TSB was SUV ride height
2nd TSB for 18's on ROW targa does not exist
3rd The specific TSB does not say that 18's are forbidden on Targa, but that 18's are not yet 'approved' as until date 04/1996 ON THE Targa AND ON MAJORITY OF THE 1995 coupe 993's
4th Wheel and tire recommendation USA Bulletin does not show 18" wheel option for Targa or for 1995 coupe. But at the dealer, for ROW targa, 18" wheels and tires are offered no problem.
some imaginative people read the TSB diagonally, and ignite theories dumb as never
Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Love mine and wouldn't give it up for anything....

<sorry for the big photo...but it's worth it>
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Why no love for the 993 Targas?