Sponsored by:

Why no love for the 993 Targas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no love for the 993 Targas?

Since starting my search for my 993, I've been reading a lot of posts here and other Porsche forums and there just doesn't seem to be the affection for the Targa's like there is for the Coupes, Cabriolets and Turbos. I personally like the looks with the stock wheels and might consider one if I can't find the right Coupe with an Aero Kit II. Wonder if there has ever been a Targa with an Aero Kit II? Hmmm....
Old 09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I would guess that it's because the 993 is associated with being somewhat of a sports car, and the idea of a big heavy lump of glass at the highest part of the car goes against everything that a sports car is supposed to be about.

Personally, at this stage of the game, I think the 993 is a pretty average performer, aside from the 993TT. Some newer Accords and Camrys put out as much power now, so the idea of a Targa being less of a sports car is a rather moot point.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

I think a lot of this is prejudice based on the leaks, squeaks and rattles of the earlier versions. Disclaimer, I had an '86 briefly until I realized it was not what I wanted (a coupe).

The 993 version really is spectacular - but I have no comment on how problematic this second short-lived generation design really was.

In fairness, there is a fair bit of anti-cabriolet and tip sentiment as well. It's not personal, but I think it's fair to say that many first-time new Porsche customers opted for more expensive open topped cars. The folks laying out the cash for 16 year old and older 911's generally gravitate to the coupes. That's reflected in price and availabilty.

If you are in the market for a targa, tip or cabrio, you have a better bunch of clean cars to choose from at fair prices.

Best regards,

Matt
Old 09-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Personally, at this stage of the game, I think the 993 is a pretty average performer, aside from the 993TT. Some newer Accords and Camrys put out as much power now, so the idea of a Targa being less of a sports car is a rather moot point.
I have to say, I am still quite happy with the performance of my 993. Lightened a bit and with some sticky tires, she runs pretty well at the track as far as I am concerned. Not too worried about Accords or Camrys in the twisties either!

All kidding aside, you can't stop the march of progress. I have made a specific personal mission to not drive progressively faster cars specifically to avoid getting tempted with the latest and greatest. I'll ride along in race Vettes, Vipers, RSR's etc.

But I don't want to drive them.

When I had my 147 HP 1987 924S it was fast. Then again, my experience was taking the bus to school.

When I had my 217HP 3.2, it too was fast. Nothing the like the 4 in the 924S.

Wound up, the 282HP in the 993 is just the ticket for me now. At the track, I am still the limiting factor by a large margin.

I think if you have the right midset, power and performance is a bit of a fools game, as there will always be something faster. The key, for me, is to learn to use and exploit the perfomance that you have. That's quite the challenge.

Best,

Matt
Old 09-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the Targas. Would've bought one instead of the C2S had the right one come up.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:26 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whaddya mean? They get lotsa love. I'd love to have one if it weren't for the squeaks and rattles.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

My dream daily is a green/chocolate 997 Targa4.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:01 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

I spent most of today under a low-mileage '96 993 Targa.

Super-nice owner (NEK), sweet looking car, and good beer.

All is well with the world today.

Andreas
Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I have to say, I am still quite happy with the performance of my 993. Lightened a bit and with some sticky tires, she runs pretty well at the track as far as I am concerned. Not too worried about Accords or Camrys in the twisties either!

All kidding aside, you can't stop the march of progress. I have made a specific personal mission to not drive progressively faster cars specifically to avoid getting tempted with the latest and greatest. I'll ride along in race Vettes, Vipers, RSR's etc.

But I don't want to drive them.

When I had my 147 HP 1987 924S it was fast. Then again, my experience was taking the bus to school.

When I had my 217HP 3.2, it too was fast. Nothing the like the 4 in the 924S.

Wound up, the 282HP in the 993 is just the ticket for me now. At the track, I am still the limiting factor by a large margin.

I think if you have the right midset, power and performance is a bit of a fools game, as there will always be something faster. The key, for me, is to learn to use and exploit the perfomance that you have. That's quite the challenge.

Best,

Matt
Totally steering this off the topic, but my Spec Miata is the most challenging, frustrating car in my fleet.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

There were so few of them and coupe people like coupes, open top people like cabs. The Targa is well.....something different. I am an open top guy myself, had about 15 different open tops through the years, but after living with the slick top on a Boxster S for the last 4 years I just couldn't bring myself to mess with the boot cover, etc on the 993 cab and had stared looking for a coupe. At that point in time I didn't even know the glass top Targa existed. I had never seen one. I stumbled across one accidentally and the rest is history.

As far as on Rennlist, I think the very low production numbers keep the posts low. It will be interesting to see how they hold their value in the next 10-15 years or so.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the look ... hate the squeaks
Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the look. Only hear the engine - never noticed the squeaks.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 553 Posts

Must have been the busy looking wheels....
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put rope in the windshield seal and tighten down the roof as per the TSB and you shouldn't have any squeaks, I don't.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok, as a guy who owned a Targa for 10 years, I think the is LOT of love for these cars.....here are my opinions:

1 - My car is quiet. Can I say that again? Quiet. No squeaks, rattles...I have been in lots of coupes with way more noises that my car. Its a matter of proper adjustments and lubricants where needed.

2 - As for the constant comments about "weight up high", I would like to argue that the sheet metal, supports, sunroof mechanism and headliners weigh a bit as well, and the difference is not that much as you think. I know this because I have lifted a roof that is separated from the car - and I can do it myself. In fact, on a properly setup-car, I think the feeling difference is NIL. I have driven lots of coupes, 3 or 4 turbos, cabs and a few other Targa's, and the handling is more of a factor of suspension/roll bars/bushings/alignments than this supposed extra weight.

3- The Targa's are holding their values well - not many were made, and that makes it good for resell. When selling mine, I had lots of interest.

4 - The downside is the mechanisms build by Westabo is overly complex, and as these roofs age, finding people who know them (since they are rare) will be difficult. If you are handy then they are quite serviceable, but if you do not know your way around a wrench, it could be expensive.

I loved my Targa, lots of natural light and extra room for your helmet to boot! I only sold because after 10 years its time to try something else with perhaps a bit more grunt...LOL!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Why no love for the 993 Targas?