993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I don't worry about it or I would have bought a Smart Car.
Seriously. This is like talking about 0-60 times and performance mods on the Prius board....
Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started tracking my fuel economy on a spreadsheet using my blackberry back in the spring. Here's the 993 mpg so far. August was very wet, so not much 993 time . Road trip to Pittsburgh in early June with some interstate time yielded pretty good mpg.
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think wearing earplugs would help out. The notes that the engine makes are very addictive and lead to quicker depression of the fun pedal--for me at least...
Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Originally Posted by steerpike
To Jakfrost.
Fuel consumption like your getting, especially from a U.S gallon, is spectacular, I wonder how?
The car has an AutoThority chip, K&N air filter, drilled air box, and RSR exhaust. I have no idea how this all helps the fuel efficiency vs stock since I bought the car this way, and this is my first 993.

I miss-spoke when I said US gallon previously, and also note that that milage was over a 6 day period of constant cruise control interstate driving. Also eastbound...I had a tail wind pretty much all the way home. Even so I was amazed at the fuel economy.

Subsequently here at home...with reasonably leisurely driving, as I said the last time I fuelled the car it took 52 litres and the odometer said 532 kms. Which works out to something like 9.8 litres per 100 kms or...24 miles per US gallon or....28.8 miles per IMPERIAL gallon.

Not far off the average on my 6 day drive.

Jim

Last edited by jakfrost; 09-09-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 09-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get 26-28 MPG on the hiway.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Aircooled Dave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think anyone here is overly concerned with gas mileage from a cost standpoint, but these mileage posts are interesting to benchmark how driving styles and various states of tune can affect it (positivly or negatively). I don't think anyone bought these cars because they are benchmarks of efficiency.

Note that poor gas mileage may also be an indicator of poor performance so it's not just about trying to be cheap, but also related to the overall health of the engine. To be honest, I have been a bit dissapointed in the mileage on my C4S. I do mostly city driving, but I am not speeding from light to light and I barely crack 14mpg average. Regardless of the cost impact, I think this is a bit low.

I'm going to try a mini tune up, fludi changes, etc... to see if I can improve this slightly as I would expect to be closer to 16-18mpg in the same driving. I averaged 20-21 in my previous BMW driving the same route.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:07 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

I've only watched mine a couple of times. And then just to estimate my range, for fill ups on long road trips. It was mid 20's. Like 24-26 MPG.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 PM
rsimon
AutoX

Default Fuel conumption

I bought a 97 cabriolet 6 months ago, I drive mostly urban with some motorway and B roads, the fuel consumption is terrible. I spent a couple of months trying to improve it then thought better of it as it was spoiling my enjoyment. I didn't buy the car for fuel economy. Having much more fun now(:
Old 09-09-2011, 08:52 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Originally Posted by Aircooled Dave
I don't think anyone here is overly concerned with gas mileage from a cost standpoint, but these mileage posts are interesting to benchmark how driving styles and various states of tune can affect it (positivly or negatively). I don't think anyone bought these cars because they are benchmarks of efficiency.

Note that poor gas mileage may also be an indicator of poor performance so it's not just about trying to be cheap, but also related to the overall health of the engine. To be honest, I have been a bit dissapointed in the mileage on my C4S. I do mostly city driving, but I am not speeding from light to light and I barely crack 14mpg average. Regardless of the cost impact, I think this is a bit low.

I'm going to try a mini tune up, fludi changes, etc... to see if I can improve this slightly as I would expect to be closer to 16-18mpg in the same driving. I averaged 20-21 in my previous BMW driving the same route.
+++ well put, and a thoughtful addition to the OP original question.

Jim
Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I get a disappointing 15 to 17 around town and I drive it like I stole it. Some mornings I never get out of 2nd gear and I love every minute of it! What awesome cars we own!!!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:27 AM
steerpike
Rennlist Member

Well as we can see here we have from 16 m.p.g. to jakfrosts "hard to believe" 38.5 per Imperial gallon, a very varied set of figures.

I personally drive very carefully when I am trying for more m.p.g. but cannot get more than 16 mpg so 38.5 mpg is simply not acheivable nor expected from Porsche although I did get 32mpg from a 964 I had from new in 1990 but only by sticking it in neutral any time I got the chance.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:50 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Had the car for 16 years - consistent 16 MPG around town and 24 MPG highway......
Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Well as we can see here we have from 16 m.p.g. to jakfrosts "hard to believe" 38.5 per Imperial gallon, a very varied set of figures.

I personally drive very carefully when I am trying for more m.p.g. but cannot get more than 16 mpg so 38.5 mpg is simply not acheivable nor expected from Porsche although I did get 32mpg from a 964 I had from new in 1990 but only by sticking it in neutral any time I got the chance.
Did you actually read my posts? I originally stated I got "30/32 miles per U.S. gallon" but then corrected my comment in the second post:

"The car has an AutoThority chip, K&N air filter, drilled air box, and RSR exhaust. I have no idea how this all helps the fuel efficiency vs stock since I bought the car this way, and this is my first 993.

I miss-spoke when I said US gallon previously, and also note that that milage was over a 6 day period of constant cruise control interstate driving. Also eastbound...I had a tail wind pretty much all the way home. Even so I was amazed at the fuel economy.

Subsequently here at home...with reasonably leisurely driving, as I said the last time I fuelled the car it took 52 litres and the odometer said 532 kms. Which works out to something like 9.8 litres per 100 kms or...24 miles per US gallon or....28.8 miles per IMPERIAL gallon."

At no point did I ever claim to get " 38.5 per Imperial gallon". That would indeed be in the realm of 'hard to believe'.

Jim
Old 09-10-2011, 09:13 AM
DanL993
button queen

To use a phrase, "That's all very interesting and totally irrelivent." I never check mileage--why would I? When the car is empty I fill it up and empty it out again--I have no freakin' idea what my mileage is nor do I care (my DD Acura gets great mileage so I'm doing my part there).

This is a race-breed automobile and is to be driven aggressively, which I do most of the time. I could care less what MPG I'm getting. Just sayin'.

However if that's important to you I hope the car delivers.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Is it?

It depends how you drive and that makes all the difference. The best mileage is achieved at a steady speed, less than 60 MPH, without stops and with a tailwind instead of a headwind.

I got 30.9 MPG Imperial driving on an Interstate type of highway. I could have increased that if I had slowed down and didn't accelerate to pass cars.

As for the US Gallon - Imperial Gallon confusion, life would be simpler if the US came out of the dark ages and went metric...like the rest of the world.

Quick Reply: 993 Fuel Consumption