Sponsored by:

back in BLACK

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
With all of your past cars, nice to see you back in a 993. What plans do you have for this beauty?
Originally Posted by Flying Finn
After reading few lines of your post, I was going to ask whether you'll go RS route again but when reading further, I see you're already thinking that...
Hopeless case!
And if I had read the text under the pics, I wouldn't have asked for info you already posted!

Oh well, car looks great, looking forward to more "mod" threads.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Hank,

A little late to this party. I just had the Walrod bushings installed on my control arms and a corner balance by Darin at West End. While the handling wasn't bad before, it is REALLY nice now. I am also running Sumi HTR ZIIIs running 36 front 40 rear.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks all. Not sure there really is a plan at this point. I was just casually looking at 993s but when I drove this one; I had to have it. I am sure it all depends on where you start with Porsche but, to me, the 993 is the real essence of Porsche. The car is at the same time refined and raw enough that you can muscle it around when you want to.

It’s not ridiculously expensive to make these cars handle well so that is one project for sure. I am interested in the JRZ RS or RS Pro dampers though I haven’t read or heard much about them. The OEM RS sway bars are a great match for 993s which only leaves spring selection. I don’t want to get carried away there as I know the consequences.

I really like the RS look and will be careful not to do anything that can’t be undone. I have lately realized that the organic shape of the car without wings and splitters is a really great look too but, for now, I am pressing ahead with the RS wing, side skirts and tail. Not sure about wheels and the LMs on the car look pretty good to me at this point.

I do want to get the car on the track as that is such a great way to experience these machines. They just seem to thrive on the track. That probably means upgrades to several of the other suspension parts too.

So, maybe there is a plan after all…

Thanks again,
Hank
Old 09-27-2011, 02:04 AM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome Hank , newb her, Great color choice, inside and out like mine minus a few things. I really dig the BBS, stance, the pics, and your ambition to start modding again. I'm new to mine and the mod big bit quick.

Looking forward to the progress!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM
funbug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I like black cars.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
I am interested in the JRZ RS or RS Pro dampers though I haven’t read or heard much about them. The OEM RS sway bars are a great match for 993s which only leaves spring selection. I don’t want to get carried away there as I know the consequences.

Hank
Hi Hank,

Don't overlook the new Motion Control Suspension dampers,.....

These are made by the same people that used to make Moton's and they do know what they are doing. With the right springs, its a killer street and track machine.

If you will be at RS ride height, you should also plan on installing the EVO uprights and tie-rods to kill the bumpsteer.

BR,
Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

How many times per month/week/day, Steve, are you accused of being a drug pusher?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many times per month/week/day, Steve, are you accused of being a drug pusher?
all day, everyday, every week, every month
Old 09-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil
The 993 forum is basically one big opium den for gear heads.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I had heard you got another one and this one looks like a nice one!! Welcome back!!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Phil
I think Phil summed that up rather accurately.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:19 PM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome back to the slippery slope.... resistance is futile.

Beautiful car.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank y'all.

Hey Chris.

I am hopeful that at this stage I hope I know what to spend money on and what not to spend money on and that I only purchase one suspension and not buy the same thing a few times finding the one I like. That said, technology has changed a lot. I'm sure and the slope is as slippery as it has ever been.

Steve, I searched for Motion Control and came up empty. What can you tell us about that shock/strut? Is it a remote reservoir damper? Any other interesting details like is it aluminum or steel and what are the shaft diameters? Also, the all-important question--what is the price?

Thanks again,
Hank
Old 09-29-2011, 03:39 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Steve, I searched for Motion Control and came up empty. What can you tell us about that shock/strut? Is it a remote reservoir damper? Any other interesting details like is it aluminum or steel and what are the shaft diameters? Also, the all-important question--what is the price?

Thanks again,
Hank
Hi Hank,

The short version is that Moton Suspension Technology was sold to AST Suspension back in May and the people who owned and operated Moton started a new company called Motion Control Suspension.

These gentlemen are making an excellent lineup of double-adjustable and triple-adjustable shocks very much like the Clubsport & Motorsport shocks of old. Further, these folks will offer the same superb level of technical and customer support just as before, and one of the things they were known for.

I'll have details very soon, however both lineups will use the same size shafts and pistons to ensure the same performance and range of adjustment (14 bump & 14 rebound).

Pricing is VERY competitive and you can call me directly for that.

Quick Reply: back in BLACK