Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My first oil change on a 993 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:44 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Had a few tears in my eye as I read this. Wow, initiative is commendable...
I think you may find there is too much oil added.

Just did this job, along with lower left valve cover gasket, so here are a few tips for next time.
Try only putting the rear on the jackstands. Plenty of space for me.
For the small filter, I have progressed to leaving the line attached, use a WIDE catch pan, and drop the oil filter onto the sway bar, slide to the center and it drops out.
Add 5 quarts, pull DME fuse, crank engine till oil pressure comes up. Surprisingly the starter is able to get about 3 on the gauge. This also moves some of the oil out of the tank and into the engine. That way it does not overflow when you add 3-4 more. I add 3, but you pulled the hose, about 1 more quart may be there. Replace the relay, Crank engine, let warm a few, and VERY carefully look for any oil on tip of dipstick. If there is, caution, you are on the edge of overfilling, don't enthusiastically add more! Think, you have 8 + quarts already! Warm it up, best to take a multi mile drive, carefully check the level before adding any.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

When I read how to change the oil on a 993, I envisioned this exact scenario. Thus I will let me Indie do it.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by techman1
Had a few tears in my eye as I read this. Wow, initiative is commendable...
I think you may find there is too much oil added.

Just did this job, along with lower left valve cover gasket, so here are a few tips for next time.
Try only putting the rear on the jackstands. Plenty of space for me.
For the small filter, I have progressed to leaving the line attached, use a WIDE catch pan, and drop the oil filter onto the sway bar, slide to the center and it drops out.
Add 5 quarts, pull DME fuse, crank engine till oil pressure comes up. Surprisingly the starter is able to get about 3 on the gauge. This also moves some of the oil out of the tank and into the engine. That way it does not overflow when you add 3-4 more. I add 3, but you pulled the hose, about 1 more quart may be there. Replace the relay, Crank engine, let warm a few, and VERY carefully look for any oil on tip of dipstick. If there is, caution, you are on the edge of overfilling, don't enthusiastically add more! Think, you have 8 + quarts already! Warm it up, best to take a multi mile drive, carefully check the level before adding any.
It's a shame the P-car, Pelican and Bentley directions don't give what sounds like great advice. I'm guessing I'll have to bleed out a quart or two after I've driven around a little.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:12 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks for bringing up this old thread. Hilarious but also useful lessons here:
1. Never change your own 993 oil unless you are a poor, heavily in debt bloke.......or masochist.
2. Understand your 993 buddies who say it's easy, you should do it yourself, only want you to share their pain and have a laugh at your expense.
3. Realize Porsche clearly pre-planned this so there would be one benefit to the 996, and
4. Gives me the leverage to say to my indie who poo poo's any "amaturish" r-list advice - "How come you charge me 1 1/2 hours shop time when the "r-list amatures" can do it in an hour?"
Old 12-30-2016, 08:38 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
By now it was dark and I was doing everything by the light of my trusty cordless spotlight. I replaced the oil plug, put the oil hose back, hopefully it'll be okay.
you didn't replace the o-rings on the oil return line?!
start over...
the good news is it gets easier every time.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:42 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
you didn't replace the o-rings on the oil return line?!
start over...
the good news is it gets easier every time.
Nope. Should I? I don't recall seeing that in any of the instructions. Is this a fatal flaw or can it wait until the oil change in a year's time?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:34 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Ha, changing oil is an annual bonding session with your 993. It definitely gets easier and faster. I have never had to take the real wheel off....save time. I also wrap anything u don't want oil splashing into like the heat exchangers with tin foil...makes for easy clean up.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:15 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
Nope. Should I? I don't recall seeing that in any of the instructions. Is this a fatal flaw or can it wait until the oil change in a year's time?
no big deal, they might even be the original o-rings depending on who serviced the car. probably just change them next time. the o-ring on the drain plug should be changed also.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:26 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Leander,

That was great reading and funny - we've all been there!

If I recall correctly I think I've been just leaving the hot air diverter (the vacuum cleaner R thingy) in place and only removing the longer orange elbow. It saves from having to fight with that little section of orange rubber hose and clamps.

Also, when you were checking your oil level initially, were you checking the dipstick with the engine oil hot enough? I start with 8.5 to 9 quarts and then go for a drive getting the engine warm. Then check the oil level as you normally would, warm (or hot), running and at idle. I have found 9.5 quarts puts me right in the middle of the dipstick. This matches what my owner's manual states for an oil change - 9.5 quarts.

I've never removed that small oil line. I just remove the small filter with it in place. A little of the old oil may be still in there but there's over two quarts of old oil also left in the cooler and lines.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:22 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
useful lessons here:
1. Never change your own 993 oil unless you are a poor, heavily in debt bloke.......or masochist.
2. Understand your 993 buddies who say it's easy, you should do it yourself, only want you to share their pain and have a laugh at your expense.
3. Realize Porsche clearly pre-planned this so there would be one benefit to the 996
Truer words have never been spoken on RL....
Old 12-31-2016, 11:57 AM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
This is one area where Porsche has really improved things. My 997 is a piece of cake to change the oil. Takes at most 20 min and is ridiculously easy.
Improved as in ease of oil change but that's true of most wet sump vs dry sump cars.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:59 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I always smile when I read these threads, usually because of the huge variability of mechanical skills on this forum, and the observations from oil-change newbies. Doing an oil change on these cars is not hard in the scale of what work you can do on these cars, but it is longer than most cars, and can be messy, but it's not difficult. I applaud the people who at least try to do the change though!

A few comments:

- I have never changed the O rings on the hard oil line, and after oh over 100 oil changes easily I have never had a leak there
- You can easily reuse the crush washers - again I have done it both ways, replace or not replace, and no leaks
- I always remove that hard line below the smaller filter for two reasons - you drain a significant amount of oil from the line, and it makes getting the small filter off easier - when you remove the hard line reach up and wiggle the line as you use the tab to pry it out - you should never need enough pressure to actually bend the tab. It should take hand pressure and some wiggling to get it back on.
- I never use "channel locks" on the filters, the remove is always with a filter removal tool that squeezes the filter when loosening, the installation is by hand than 1/2 turn with the proper filter socket, all using a 3/8 drive ratchet.
- Don't forget to drain the engine block as well
- I usually put in 7 litres, crank the engine over for about 30 seconds WITHOUT THE DME RELAY INSTALLED, put in two more, install the relay, then start the car and take it for a drive to fully warm it up. Idling is not sufficient unless you want to wait forever
- I then check the level with the stick (not the gauge on the dash) and top up so the oil level is 1/3 up the marked section on the stick. No more than that. Usually takes 10 litres.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-29-2018, 09:38 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

A recent thread made me remember this. Still funny after all these years

Quick Reply: My first oil change on a 993 yesterday