Sponsored by:

Wire Harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wire Harness

P-car dealer calls today, wants to do a wire harness replacement on my 96 993 at no cost to me. I remember 7 years ago when I bought the car that the 95 had a recall but don't remembering it being an issue on the 96.
I don't even get the car serviced there, just buy parts and most recent had a key fob programed there (the dealer).
Did a search on this, and most of the threads that pop up are 6-7 years old. I figured that most cars that have been properly looked after would have had the recall done long ago.
Not saying that my car hasn't been properly maintained and kept up with, just find it a little funny that they are calling out of the blue on this.
Maybe they want to win over my business? The independent I take my car to for stuff that I don't do probably sees more 993s a month than the dealer does all year, and that might be a conservative estimate.
Any thoughts here? Or am I just babbling out loud?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do it. I have a 94 and while my harness was in transit my ecu got fried bec of the old harness. Never heard of 96 being recalled too but its being offered to you for free so why not?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 AM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an issue with rough running on mine and did some research on the wire harness recall...it turns out that yes it is 95's and early production 96's fall under it. You can have Porsche check by the vin to verify. If you car is elgible and never had it replaced then you are covered free of charge by Porsche.

Not sure if you are aware but a production year can start as early as the 7th month of the previous year so...your 96 could have actually been built from July 95 or later... Im sure this is the reason your car qualifies for the recall.

Last edited by J.B.H.; 08-30-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: horrible speller
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 96 had the old harness and was replaced under the recall.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

The TSB for the W301 recall specified affected vehicles by VINs. Ask you dealer to show it to you. The affected cars did include 96s. Your car either is or is not among the affected cars. If it is, and your dealer is clearly telling both that it is so affected and that the recall has not been performed, get it done. As you saw among the old posts, the range of problems related to old, tired rear wiring harnesses is quite broad. Interesting to note that it was a Rennlister who pushed Porsche/NHTSA into issuing the recall.

Regards to all.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Warpig
Pro

you can also pop the cover off the electrical box on the drivers side of the engine compartment and look at the part #'s of the wire harness. I dont have the part numbers handy for the old and new harness but 3 minutes and the search function here will tell you everything you want to know.

Nick
Old 08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
gruppe75
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 96 twin turbo and was done. I think the ones that needed to be done had a build date before september 95
Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warpig
you can also pop the cover off the electrical box on the drivers side of the engine compartment and look at the part #'s of the wire harness. I dont have the part numbers handy for the old and new harness but 3 minutes and the search function here will tell you everything you want to know.

Nick
I have to do that anyway for the dealer and get the date on the harness.

Thanks for the responses - just was caught off guard when they called about replacing it. I've know for over 7 years about the wire harness recall but figured mine didn't need one. And after doing a search, not for research, but just to see if there any current threads - I noticed that most of the threads were from 2002-04ish.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:43 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first 993 about 5 years ago was a 96 and had it done. Ran smoother afterwards. I would get it done, I've seen pictures of the fried version, not pretty.

Quick Reply: Wire Harness