993 Forum 1995-1998

One of our RL 993 brethren is ill

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:53 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 3healey
Just so you all know, I have printed this entire thread and will leave it at the hospital for Chuck to read when he is able.
Visiting hours are very limited, but I will try to keep y'all posted on Chuck and his family.

Grant
Grant,

Thanks.

And Chuck, we are all pulling for you. With that many horses on your side, something good is bound to happen.

CP
Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Grant,

Thanks.

And Chuck, we are all pulling for you. With that many horses on your side, something good is bound to happen.

CP
+1
Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill - Thanks for posting.

Chuck is a super nice guy. I remember the first time we met at Palooza in 07'. I was taking these pictures of his car and wondering what suspension and other mods he had done, when he walked up with a big smile and introduced himself. As we talked he offered me a ride in his car for suspension comparison. He took me around corners over hills, and even over a few speed bumps in a local parking lot. Thanks to Chuck I got to ride in an M033, M030, and a PSS9. Before 08' I had new suspension. Now every year at Palooza Chuck is one of the first I'm looking up.

Get well Chuck. We're praying for you buddy!!!
Attached Images   
Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a picture I took of our boy, Chuck, at that Dallas road trip in 2008. Nicest guy you'll ever meet.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Give him a hug for me.
And from all of us.

Andreas
Old 08-18-2011, 07:04 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just returned from the hospital. As I mentioned earlier, visiting hours are very limited, and therefore precious for the family. We were not able to see Chuck this afternoon. However, we were able to sit and visit with Katey for a while after visiting hours were over. She says Chuck is pretty doped up, but is lucid and able to do most things for himself. She also said he is already sick of what passes for food at the hospital.
They were hoping to move Chuck out of the ICU to a "step-up" room this afternoon or evening, and possibly get him home over the weekend or early next week.
All things considered, Chuck is doing very well, and still has the positive attitude that has served him so well during his previous struggles with liver problems. He's more concerned about his family than he is about himself, which is typical Chuck.
If you wish to send Chuck a note or card, Katey suggested that you send them to the house, rather than the hospital. Here's the address:
8658 Dogwood Oaks Cove, Germantown, TN 38139.
I will continue to update the thread as I learn more.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the update.

First sign of recovery, complaining about the food.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:49 PM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold Chuck a set of A8s and, through the transaction, we became Rennlist pals. When I was driving from Santa Fe to Sanibel in Nov. 09, we met up in Eureka Springs for Palooza and became friends. Katey and Chuck were gracious hosts to me at their Memphis-area home and showed me around the city. Chuck took me to the Interstate BBQ, Katey chose a place that had the best fried chicken EVER. Chuck and I spent an afternoon at the Roc-n-Soul Museum and he regaled me with stories of Old Memphis.

Gracious.
Authentic.
Passionate.
Hilarious.
Humble.
Accomplished.
Soulful.
Beloved.

Chuck and Katey, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Bobby G
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Chuck and family - best wishes. Cancer is a battle, but never give up.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

My prayers for you Chuck, your family and friends. Fight the good fight, and may the treatments allow you some quality of life.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 PM
3healey
Racer

He's already asking about his car...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:00 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 3healey
He's already asking about his car...
Old 08-19-2011, 12:36 AM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A true testimony to Chucks character is the number of people he has touched in the Porsche community. I don't know him but have him in my thoughts and prayers in this difficult time.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:41 AM
3healey
Racer

To all: the photo that ca993twin posted is perfect. Great picture of a truly nice man.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Katie's update from last night:
Hello Everyone;
Chuck is recovering from Monday's surgery as well as can be expected. He did suffer a seizure yesterday morning which, although very scary to witness, is fairly common after this type of surgery. The docs ran a CAT scan to make sure it wasn't due to any bleeding and found no problems there. He was pretty much wiped out the rest of the day so the plan to get him walking and moved out of ICU were delayed. He was moved out of ICU into the Neuro-CCU late this afternoon. We'll see how he's doing tmrw and hopefully they'll get him up and walking a little bit. No word on when he'll be coming home but just don't see it happening before the end of the weekend at the earliest. Tomorrow we meet with the oncology team to figure out the next step; chemo and radiation.

As far as we can tell, there seems to be no impairment- small motor skills and speech are very good and he certainly hasn't lost his sense of humor. He's been having some hiccups due to the meds. Last night he sat up, looked at all of us and said "watch this" then proceeded to hold his breath to stop the hiccups only to crack up when the alarms started ringing, which of course, brought the nurses running.

Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts and support. We've been printing them out to read to him - he really appreciates it. Keep em coming.
That's all for now - must sleep.
Katie
I'm not the least surprised.

Quick Reply: One of our RL 993 brethren is ill