Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ayrton Senna - US Theatrical Release Aug 12 in LA/NY.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:33 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

The one thing that still blows my mind is Aryton is asked "what his most favorite memory is about racing" even after becoming World Champ in F1 etc, etc. His reply was "kart racing pure & simple. No money or politics involved-just pure racing".
Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

I'd forgotten what a a**hole Balestre was. Some have complained how they made Prost out to be such a bad guy, but it did show how they had "made up" before he died. Senna took no prisoners along the way. The images of him in the pits the morning of the fateful race are very haunting, as is the footage of Roland just before he goes out. And the look on Alain's face in the Williams pits after the crash show real human emotion...
Worth finding in a theatre somewhere near you.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Finally got to see it last night at the Sunshine along with another Rennlister. Great movie, on my "to own" list when the DVD comes out.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

Saw it last week in Philly with a few other couples including one lady who grew up and lived in Europe and saw Senna live in a half dozen races. She said he was even better in person, on the edge and fearless.

Anyway, really enjoyed the movie and I was impressed with how they cut the footage together to tell a great but tragic story.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I wonder if this will ever make it on Netflix. Better on a big screen but I'll take what I can get.
NF streamed the documentary on the 17th anniversary of his death. It was only 'up' for a day which upset a lot of viewers after they paused and found it gone when they went back.
Luckily I watched it all the way through in one sitting. It was captivating and so full of emotion. Hats off to the film-makers. Can't wait for the bluray release so I can watch on the projector.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Saw it, loved it, tried to tell the wife I was working late just to see it again. I've watched one F1 race in my life and had never heard of Senna before the movie buzz started...its that good. Enjoy!
Old 08-27-2011, 02:10 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Brazilian friend who can't quite bring herself to see it yet. In her words: "I can't, I lived it".

Really puts into perspective for me that Senna was more than just a genius behind the wheel of an F1 car, he was the hopes and dreams of Brazil at a time when they didn't have anything else. That as much as I was saddened by the tragedy at Imola, it will never come close to what the Brazilians must have felt to have their shining light extinguished during a time of true darkness...
Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 AM
speedbump2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's something a little closer for those in Westchester, Putnam, & SW Fairfield Counties:
The Jacob Burns Film Center in Pleasantville, NY will be showing "Senna" from Friday, 9/2 to Thursday, 9/8.

Dates & Times here:
Jacob Burns - Senna film

--Chuck--
Old 09-02-2011, 03:53 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found it showing locally and saw it last night. Well worth a drive just to go see it. Great period footage and very well stitched together. In addition to the Prost Senna drama I thought they really took a shot at Williams for fielding such a poor handling car.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM
speedbump2
Racer

Went to see "Senna" Saturday evening in Pleasantville. What a great film!

A couple of observations:

While I knew that Prost intentionally took Senna out at Suzuka in '89, I did not know that he was instrumental in getting him disqualified by the Stewards. So, the disdain I had previously felt towards Prost just elevated to disgust.

I did not know about the collusion between Prost and Balestre to put Senna off of the good track position for the '90 Suzuka race's pole. I'm not a huge fan of the French to begin with, and I know I should not judge an entire population by the actions of a few, but this just really rankles me.

And I do not recall any mention in this film of when Senna stopped and got out of his car to come to Comas' aid in Belgium in '92. I was always impressed with that very humanitarian act by Senna.

This film will be playing daily until this Thursday, 9/8 at the theaters in Millerton, NY & Pleasantville, NY
Get out and see it if you can. I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

--Chuck--

P.S. - Bring the wife, even if she hates cars. My wife really enjoyed this film, even though she knows nothing of F1
Old 09-06-2011, 04:07 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone wrote a letter to the Washington Post complaining that the review which made the reader go see the movie had a spoiler because it talked of the tragedy of Senna's wreck.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:17 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Too many Speedbumps in this thread!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
speedbump2
Racer

Originally Posted by ilko
Too many Speedbumps in this thread!
Hah! Not enough if you ask me!

--Chuck--
Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-07-2011, 05:57 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

It was a good documentary and I respected the work that went into collecting all that footage and editing it together.

But it felt a bit empty. There was something lacking about it. I didn't get pulled in and immersed by it. A tough film to make and difficult since it was dependent on preexisting footage. I felt like I wanted to get to know him better, but there was this distance between Senna and the viewer.

I'm certainly glad Oliver Stone didn't make it (he wanted to do a Senna film); he would have turned it into a typical commercial Hollywood drama.

A positive review here by Kenneth Turan: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug...senna-20110812

Quick Reply: Ayrton Senna - US Theatrical Release Aug 12 in LA/NY.