Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too hot for a cross country road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:09 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few weeks back I drove my new '58 356 coupe (unrestored) 2000 miles from Phoenix to Edmonton. I took the scenic route too. I think you will be fine in the 993

To reduce stress just be prepared for a breakdown even though the chances are remote. Some will say a cellphone and credit card are all you will need. Others pack a few tools, parts and water too..
Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

105 here last weekend and my car ran at normal operating temps w/ a/c on full blast, you will not have any problems. Driving across the country will be a great adventure, like the others said if your car is well maintained and you have a few spare parts you are good to go!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 548 Posts

Do it. If you like driving a 993 the fun way, choose the southern route through the UT canyons, NM and CO. Not much of a detour from the boring interstate.

Heat be damned, the car can handle it and the AC will work. I have been in Death Valley at 114º with my 993, just fine.

The first 1/3 northern or southern is really nice, even on the interstate. The rest, when you have seen a thousand acres of corn fields and know you have a couple days left of more corn fields.... that's the part where you may wish you had shipped. Still, we live in a beautiful country, and you have an opportunity to take it all in.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

picked the car up in CA, drove it back to NJ, literally coast to coast.

I took the highway.

Horrible, boring trip. Would never do it again. If you don't mind taking a whole lot longer to cover the same distance and don't mind lots of b-roads, go for it.

I think the whole enchantment of cross country trips is extremely overrated. There are a lot of areas that are just plain boring to drive through.

Oh, and if you like to drive fast, count on at least one ticket.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I made it from OK City to Albuquerue (560 miles) in 5 hrs. with two stops for gas. Thank you radar detector!
WOW! That's some serious average speed for 5 hours. With two gas stops, you had to be averaging over 115 MPH for 5 hours.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I was. I saw one cop in the middle of nowhere in the TX Panhandle and another somewhere in NM. Both were going the other direction with no radar and didn't even look at me. I left Fairfax, VA late Friday afternoon and was at my place in Phoenix exactly 48 hrs. later. Car ran like a top.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Just do the trip! Made this trip four times and in the process of preparing for a 5th . Be prepared as you would with any car travelling cross country, extra belts and that DME Relay are especially a good idea. Avoid the interstate as much as possible and have fun!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Horrible, boring trip. Would never do it again. If you don't mind taking a whole lot longer to cover the same distance and don't mind lots of b-roads, go for it.

I think the whole enchantment of cross country trips is extremely overrated. There are a lot of areas that are just plain boring to drive through.

Oh, and if you like to drive fast, count on at least one ticket.
Quad, you sound like a blast to travel with
Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Quad, you sound like a blast to travel with
Meh not so bad on the beach with a couple drinks in me.

On the highway doing 70mph for 8 hours a day, kill me
Old 08-02-2011, 01:31 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that long trips are no fun.. After all we are only looking for a few seconds of fun in an hours worth of travel. Unless you are planning on hitting every exit ramp, i would not bother.

I just went to Burlington VT from Boston. Could have done all highway, but decided to take backroads in VT. It should have been a 4 hr trip, instead it was more like 5+, but I would not trade the extra 90 min for anything. Drove up the craziest mounting road, and the best part was going over a ridge at Mad River Glen (Ski it if you can). All 180 switch backs. My wife actually asked me to pull over at one point cause she thought she was going to be sick. I knew it was a great run at that point ;-).

I say load the car on a flat bed, and ship it out. Once you get there, look for some great roads on Google.Map and enjoy.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:17 PM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another Texan here - 100+ heat is no problem when driving on the highway. Stuck in traffic or idling is another story.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 540 Posts

Long trips are great with a girlfriend next to or close to you........
Old 08-02-2011, 07:05 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Road trip in Europe

Pretty much agree with everything others have posted...I'm on a road trip through Europe (Switzerland to Poland and back) and everything is just fine. Ran to 144 mph so far on the autobahn and averaged over 100 mph (or very close) for most of the highway part of the trip...was happy when the GPS took me off the trail...no problem with heat or anything else. These engines are made for speed so they need to be run through the paces...
Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I did 1524 miles over two days when I picked up the turbo (TX to CA). It was 22 hours of driving. For me, that was enough. I have to agree with Oliver, it gets boring. That said, I would go for the coast to coast drive. It is a life experience. One time.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:28 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

When I lived in Texas, I remember an August DE labeled "hotter than hell". Temps were in the 110+ range that weekend and not many people showed up. We all huddled around portable fans at the "garages" at TWS in between run groups to try and get some short of relief. By the end of the day the track owner who we run the event with ( Motorsports Club) was coming around to see if anyone wants to go out and drive.. We did so many laps that day in the heat with condensed run groups and few drivers, that the drivers gave up faster than our 993's. Buck 40 down the straight at TWS lap after lap at WOT was not a problem, the car never went above 9 oclock in the temp gauge. I went through a set of rears that day and by 3pm I was really done having logged possibly over 100 laps in anger that day... The faster you go the better it is

Quick Reply: Too hot for a cross country road trip?