Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too hot for a cross country road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:48 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too hot for a cross country road trip?

So I'm relocating from San Francisco to DC this month, and was originally planning to take 10 days or so to drive the 993 from here to there.

However, in the last few days, I've been thinking that 10 days in an air-cooled car with black interior when most of the country is experiencing 100+ temps daily, will not be fun for me or the car.

As much fun as driving through the southwest will be, I fear spending several days in the middle of the country keeping one eye on the radar detector and the other eye on the temp gauge, and being stressed out about both.

Thoughts? Am I being paranoid about the temp issues, or is really a case when I should ship the car and save the stress?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:56 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

If you've taken care of your car and maintain it regularly, the problem might be more in your imagination than reality....
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Much of your time will be cruising interstates at speeds that will give good airflow over the oil cooler, so the car should stay adequately cooled. Living in SoCal, I drive my 993 out to Palm Springs or Las Vegas when it is well over 100 with no problems. I don't think you will have any problem with the car overheating on this trip, but your body is another matter. That part depends on your tolerance for long drives with your sweaty shirt stuck to the seat. Take a cooler with lots of water, fresh fruit, salty snacks, and you're good to go.

That trip will take five days of steady driving, so ten days allows plenty of time for side trips and sightseeing. I say if you have the time, go for it.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 540 Posts

Make sure you have a spare DME relay in your glovebox and that your V-Belts are in good shape (or have a fan, alternator and AC belt and proper tools to change them)........also make sure your air compressor works for your spare tire.......

You should be fine......I did LA to NYC in less than 4 days straight in the summer, no issues.......AC worked great.........
Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you were contemplating this with a 356, then yeah, back in the day those guys would do the Phoenix-LA runs for Porsche Club events in the middle of the night during the summer. By the time things got to 993s (or really, 964s), unless you're planning to test top speed for a long stretch, no problem.

But most of the fun with the car will be if you're able to drive off-Interstate.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:50 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

JUST DO IT!!!

I'm jealous....On the life "To Do List" is "Drive cross country in a Porsche". I've driven cross country, but not yet in a Porsche. I did a more northerly route from ATL to Nashville, Memphis, hit the Corvette museum (for my buddy who was with me), St Louis, Nebraska & Wyoming following the Oregon trail sites, Rocky Mtn National Park, then south to PHX and on to my summer internship in Newport Beach, CA. A great time that I need to replicate again soon!

Whatever you do...do NOT just get on an interstate and stay on it for ever. I did Flagstaff, AZ to NC on I-40 in 3.5 days on the way back....ugh. NEVER to be repeated. BORING. Big mistake...

Heck, even if your trip is hot and miserable....it will make a GREAT story later!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:00 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would take the northern route - much cooler than the southern route. Way better driving too. Idaho and Montana have some of the best roads and least enforcement in the country.

Enjoy.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:05 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in Texas and daily drive my 993. Your cross country trip is going to be a breeze for the car if your car & its oil cooling system is running normally.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:24 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven my Tubo on the highway when it was -2 and 102 and the oil temp was not that much different when cruising for hours. +99% of the summer time I run with the AC off, windows and sunroof open.

When you park, try to find some shade. Use a windshield sunshade. Maybe even buy one of those auto window blinds (like parents use for young children) and suction cup it to the driver's window or passanger window (depending on sun position), to block some of the sunlight when actually driving during peak daytime temps.

Have fun!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Do it. I am in Dallas and when driving on the highway my temp is fine when it is triple digits out. Drap a beach towel over the driver seat to keep your back side cooler.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

As long as your 993 has been properly maintained and checked out before the drive, I see no issue with driving it cross country. It's not like it's that old. I bought mine in TX and drove back to WI and never gave it a second thought. This was without ever driving it before! Think of it as one of your many great adventures in the vehicle.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just do it ... the faster you go, the cooler it is
Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove my 993 from DC out to Phoenix. It was late March, 2008. Took me two days. I spent the first night in Bristol, VA and the second night in OK City. I made it from OK City to Albuquerue (560 miles) in 5 hrs. with two stops for gas. Thank you radar detector!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just drove to Atlanta and back last week. AC was great although I missed open window driving. Stayed cool the whole time.
Make sure to put in fresh antifreeze!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by patela
So I'm relocating from San Francisco to DC this month, and was originally planning to take 10 days or so to drive the 993 from here to there.

However, in the last few days, I've been thinking that 10 days in an air-cooled car with black interior when most of the country is experiencing 100+ temps daily, will not be fun for me or the car.

As much fun as driving through the southwest will be, I fear spending several days in the middle of the country keeping one eye on the radar detector and the other eye on the temp gauge, and being stressed out about both.

Thoughts? Am I being paranoid about the temp issues, or is really a case when I should ship the car and save the stress?
Save the stress? Well, I guess you could. But then you would have wondered for the rest of your life if you should have driven it and you KNOW you should. Just drive it and enjoy it. It'll be a memory you take to your grave. It'll be a story you'll tell for the rest of your life to your car buddies. It'll be full of moments and experiences you can't imagine till you are in it. I'll never forget my simple drive from Chicago to DC after I bought my car. SO glad I drove it myself.

Quick Reply: Too hot for a cross country road trip?