Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I did a search 1st. Did a 90k mi service go from $1400 in 2006 to $4500 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 441 Posts
Default Ok, so I did a search 1st. Did a 90k mi service go from $1400 in 2006 to $4500 today?

Hello folks,

I have brought my car to my indie for a "intermittent starting problem" as I posted on another thread this week. Sometimes it starts right up. Other times it won't. It doesn't crank when I turn the key, but all the lights come on the dash and there's not a sounds, not a click, nothing. I turn the immobilzer on and off, but nothing. Sometimes if I walk away from the car for an hour or more and try it again it'll start right up. Totally frustrating. I never know when it'll leave me stranded. The battery was replaced in 2004 but it always cranks right up when I'm not having this starting problem. I WILL have them install a new battery while it's in the shop. They said anything more than 6 years if pretty good for a battery and replacing is smart.

Brought it to two places recently and one gent had it for 5 days and it started right up each time. Same thing with the other place where it sat for a day.

He said he could sell me a new starter motor or a new immobilzer unit computer but that may not be the problem at all. He said that unless it didn't start while it was there it would be hard to diagnose. He added that throwing lots of money at it may not even work. I took it back home and the 2nd day had it I used it all day, it wouldn't start a few times while running errands. Eventually, it did after it sat for a while.

I bought a new DME for it and actually installed it myself on Saturday morning. Yeah for me! I did a DIY. I know, ridiculously easy one but I was still proud. I hadn't driven it in 2 weeks and it started RIGHT UP.

That's the day I drove it to my indie way down in Virginia. I mentioned that it never had it's official 90K service and he suggested strongly that I do so. It has 91k miles.

I was quoted $4500 by the local indie in Maryland that looked at my car 2 weeks ago for a 90k service. I thought that sounded ridiculously high so the car now sits at my trusted indie in Virginia waiting to have this starter problem hopefully fixed. Maybe it's the starter relay, the clutch relay (?), a bad battery connection (I ordered a new battery ground cable but it still hasn't come in yet), or any number of other things. I mentioned that he drive it every day if he has to till it replicates the problem - I don't want it back till it can be fixed!

I told him that the indie in Maryland said the 90k service could be as high as $4500 and he agreed that yes, that's about right.

Pretty blown away by the pricing so I gave him at his request, all 8 years of receipts to look over. They were nice enough to drive me back to my house on a Saturday 50 minutes from their shop after I dropped it off. He said he can look through the receipts to see what has already been done recently so he doesn't duplicate any efforts which would save me money.

So...I did a search here - "90K service" and came up with a list posted about 5 years ago that a 90K service could include. I'm a bit financially tight right now so he suggested breaking up the stuff that would be done and do 1/2 this year and 1/2 next year.

***On an off topic personal note: No wife around anymore to tell me what I can or can't fix, what car I can or can't keep so it's all on me now. Just got the final divorce decree a month ago. I got to keep the house, everything in it, and my 2 cars. She got almost 1/2 of my 401k and some cash. It's all good, I guess. Life could be a hell of a lot worse!***

Here's the list I found (I cut and pasted from a couple different threads) but 2 gentlemen quote prices anywhere from $1100 to $1400 back in 2006 for this major service.

Did it go up hundreds of percent to $4500 now? And, do I REALLY need to do all this stuff listed at the bottom? I may keep this car, I may sell it in the next 3-6-9-12 months. If work gets better, I will probably never sell it. I LOVE it. It work stays bad or gets worse, I may "have" to sell but that's not going to happen in the next 6 months is my guess.

These are 2006 prices and what was said in the '06 thread:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"12 spark plugs 78.00
Oil filter - main 16.50
Oil filter - aux 12.73
Pollen filter 80.40
Fuel filter 31.10
Belt alt/fan 15.29
Belt a/c 12.38
Belt alt 9.41
Air filter 22.17
Distrib cap 148.94
Distrib rotor 51.24
Wiper blades 17.19
Winshld washer fluid 3.25
Waste oil fee 2.00
Gear oil 19.95
11 qts Mobil 1 15/50 87.45
Other chemicals 10.00

Total Labor 637.50
Total parts 498.40
Sublet (waste oil) 2.00
Supplies (oil) 117.40
Sales Tax 50.80
Total 1306.10

I just had my 90k service and paid a little over $1400 for everything...........It was money well spent as my car is now silky smooth and happy that I love it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Another thread has this info on a 90K service)

"New plugs, oil / filter change , pollen filters, VC gaskets, air filter, maybe belts.... but you are probably looking at close to $1K for the whole shooting match. I would take a look at the brake fluid as well.

-new wires
-front differential fluid (she is a c4s)
-gear oil
-t-valve (why not)
-rs pulley (or new pulleys)
-tranny seal is leaking and a few engine leaks also so all new seals on the engine
-all new lifters (the car has a clicking sound)

-Distributor caps/rotors and fuel filter?

Dual distributor belt? (or get a remanufactured dual distributor that includes a new belt? 9 Replacing the dual-distributor belt is trivial and can be easily accomplished in less than one hour. For someone that has never previously performed the replacement it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours. You don't need to completely disassemble the distributor, cutting the bottom and then resealing with silicone caulking, just remove the top.)

Check the belts - Power steering belt?

A/C belt?

SAI valve and air passages?

full engine bay and engine detail while on the stand.

Oil pressure sending unit?

O2 sensors if they've never been done...

Check and if necessary, change the clutch plate. Take a close look at the clutch release bearing as well.

Sunset Porsche in Oregon for parts?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
The above was all from the 2006 thread about a 90k service. Any comments on the $4500 pricing? And is all this stuff listed above fairly crucial?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope, $4500 is way out of line
*assuming standard 90k service
Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

$4500 is not appropriate
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
$4500 is not appropriate
Hmmm, I wonder why both shops quoted pretty much the same price. I'll have to talk with the shop owner who has it now about this and get the exact list of what they're going to do vs. the price they'd want to charge for each item.

A breakdown of pricing is always helpful in this type of situation. I appreciate the "chime in" about pricing.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:35 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You are getting raped. Maybe change mechanics.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FGL28
You are getting raped. Maybe change mechanics.
They Porsche shops all seem expensive where I live. Do I bring it to an Exxon next for this 90k service?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Or roll up your sleeves and give it a try!! You can buy a whole set of tools, jacks, and all the equipment you need...in fact for $4500 you are close to buying a lift!

The price they quoted you is just stupid....all the 90K service is a tune-up, oil changes of engine and tranny, and belts. This is NOT major at all, and they did not even include a brake and clutch slave flush.

Too bad you are not close to me, I would do it for you far cheaper. :-). I would say that the hours to do this in a professional shop should not be much past 10 - 12 hours, which is about $800 - $1200 depending on the rates etc. (this will vary widely across the country, up here in Vancouver its not unusual for the dealer to charge $120+/hour for Porsche work).

However, this sort of work is about a 4/10 in total difficulty, so I would say if you want to save a buck, start working on the car yourself! Not only will you save money, there is a great sense of accomplishment to drive the vehicle you have services yourself!

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Or roll up your sleeves and give it a try!! You can buy a whole set of tools, jacks, and all the equipment you need...in fact for $4500 you are close to buying a lift!

The price they quoted you is just stupid....all the 90K service is a tune-up, oil changes of engine and tranny, and belts. This is NOT major at all, and they did not even include a brake and clutch slave flush.

Too bad you are not close to me, I would do it for you far cheaper. :-). I would say that the hours to do this in a professional shop should not be much past 10 - 12 hours, which is about $800 - $1200 depending on the rates etc. (this will vary widely across the country, up here in Vancouver its not unusual for the dealer to charge $120+/hour for Porsche work).

However, this sort of work is about a 4/10 in total difficulty, so I would say if you want to save a buck, start working on the car yourself! Not only will you save money, there is a great sense of accomplishment to drive the vehicle you have services yourself!

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks for that info Mike. Working on it myself is not even in the realm of being an option so I'm stuck bringing it somewhere for this 90K service. Guess I need to call around and see what the other shops in this area charge for this service and ask them what it includes. I'll limit my work done at the shop it's at now then to hopefully just fixing the intermittent starting problem.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those 2006 prices you quoted are just about right! $4,500 is just plain ridiculous.

I think the first shop wanted to rape you, and the second shop just agreed with that figure, hoping that you'd let him do the work. It would have been better if you hadn't mentioned the first shop's quote.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:03 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

a major with engine out, clutch refresh will still be much less than $4500!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

You can even save a lot on the parts prices you listed because some are way out of line.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Steve,

I understand your views on DIY and I am not comfortable doing more than the basics.

However, there are a number of r'listers on this forum that live in your neck of the woods. I am sure if you asked for some help, and a case or two of beer (or wine), you can get some hands on help too. And you can learn from the process as well.

It is simply insane to pay the numbers you are being quoted, even if the number is $2500!

Make it a fun day or two (you have the room) and a rennlister or two might pitch in and help.

Mark
Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Steve,

I understand your views on DIY and I am not comfortable doing more than the basics.

Mark
But Mark, everything in that list in the first post, other than maybe spark plugs, are very basic tasks. Like changing an air and cabin filter, belts, etc.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I told him that the indie in Maryland said the 90k service could be as high as $4500 and he agreed that yes, that's about right.
How did you go about asking for the second quote? Did you ask the 2nd indie to quote for a 90K service without divulging the first quote or did you just ask the 2nd indie to reconfirm the first quote?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 287 Posts

I'll do it for $4000.... Save yourself $500!

Quick Reply: Ok, so I did a search 1st. Did a 90k mi service go from $1400 in 2006 to $4500 today?