Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I did a search 1st. Did a 90k mi service go from $1400 in 2006 to $4500 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:48 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
+1. I'm vexed as well?

Andreas
And we all know what happens when AOW is vexed. It happened last year in Thomas and it was not a pretty sight.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheralph
And we all know what happens when AOW is vexed. It happened last year in Thomas and it was not a pretty sight.
I pulled through though.

I think.

Andreas
Old 08-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
The fact is....very little and practically nothing if you DIY.

Going all out, replacing every single filter on the car, 12 spark plugs, 2 distributor caps, 2 rotors, a full set of Beru wires, all belts including the distributor belt, sealing washers and O-ring, 2L power steering fluid, 2L brake fluid comes to...$992.75 (Source: Pelican Parts). Add about another $83.50 for all valve cover seals and fasteners. All lubes...about $100.

Lets see now, how much for labor? I have to stop working for a living.
he has mentioned several times that he is not the diy type and doesn't intend to become one, which is fine.

perhaps he has some suspension bushings, wheel bearings, sway bar links, motor mounts, etc that need to be replaced?

perhaps this isn't a pure maintenance situation.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
he has mentioned several times that he is not the diy type and doesn't intend to become one, which is fine.
Yes, I read that in his post...#8. Edited to add: I only posted the everything-included parts prices so that one could see what a worst case scenario is if it were a DIY. I may have missed a thing or two, but I think its reasonably complete.

perhaps he has some suspension bushings, wheel bearings, sway bar links, motor mounts, etc that need to be replaced?

perhaps this isn't a pure maintenance situation.
He did mention a 90K service. A service is "maintenance" plus "visual checks" based on the list from Porsche that I have. If he needs parts to be replaced (repairs) then the cost will go up. But based on his first post list, I only see maintenance items. I guess it depends how one defines maintenance which to me is filters, lubes, spark plugs, etc.

Last edited by IXLR8; 08-14-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could take the drivetrain out of the car, replace just about every wear item there, send all four shocks out for rebuilding, replace all pads and rotors and align it for far less than his estimate. Unless this price includes a G50/21 swap, I'm still not getting it.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
You could take the drivetrain out of the car, replace just about every wear item there, send all four shocks out for rebuilding, replace all pads and rotors and align it for far less than his estimate. Unless this price includes a G50/21 swap, I'm still not getting it.
before we make ridiculous statements like this, why don't we see what the quote includes, huh?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lighten up francis. I've done just about every job on 993 there is short of an engine rebuild and I don't think I've spent close to this much in eight years of ownership.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Yes, I read that in his post...#8. Edited to add: I only posted the everything-included parts prices so that one could see what a worst case scenario is if it were a DIY. I may have missed a thing or two, but I think its reasonably complete.

He did mention a 90K service. A service is "maintenance" plus "visual checks" based on the list from Porsche that I have. If he needs parts to be replaced (repairs) then the cost will go up. But based on his first post list, I only see maintenance items. I guess it depends how one defines maintenance which to me is filters, lubes, spark plugs, etc.
Understandable on point one.

On point two, I'm guessing in the process of doing the 90k service, they found a bunch of stuff...could be a bad front diff, some worn synchros, who knows without seeing what they came up with.

Lighten up francis. I've done just about every job on 993 there is short of an engine rebuild and I don't think I've spent close to this much in eight years of ownership.
Lucky you.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

before we make ridiculous statements like this, why don't we see what the quote includes, huh?
Yep, I don't have the list yet but should have it very soon. I have to reiterate that this shop is the only one I'd even trust with my car at this point here in the DC area (well, there's another one but this guy is really good).

Stay tuned!

I believe it's going to be brakes and rotors, the 90k (about $1200-1300), ignition wires, some oil leaks or an oil leak of sorts, not sure about the clutch but it was replaced when I bought it 8 years ago at 58k miles and it has 91k now. He said it would be best to take the engine out at this point to do some of the stuff. I'll let you folks know. Maybe I can defer some of it to next year and do 1/2 now. or just sell it as is with the new tires (the last option I'd consider, right up there with slitting my throat)

JK in that last part of of course.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you have some buddies help you with the drivetrain R&R, all the other stuff is incredibly easy with the engine on a stand. Pads and rotors are easier than an oil change. Put it off for a winter project, save a ton of $$, learn a ton about your car and drink some beer with your fellow RL'ers.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

If you have some buddies help you with the drivetrain R&R, all the other stuff is incredibly easy with the engine on a stand. Pads and rotors are easier than an oil change. Put it off for a winter project, save a ton of $$, learn a ton about your car and drink some beer with your fellow RL'ers.
Sadly, I really don't know anyone in the area that would be able to help me with this so I'm stuck bringing it to the indie. If I did have those buddies, I'd be going down that road for sure.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:35 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

On point two, I'm guessing in the process of doing the 90k service, they found a bunch of stuff...could be a bad front diff, some worn synchros, who knows without seeing what they came up with.
Worn synchros; well that can add up. We'll see. Always curious to see what it costs if repairs are needed.

I have to agree with Rick on one point; if you can DIY and I know the OP isn't comfortable with that, in my opinion these cars are as inexpensive to run as any other. I was quite surprised at the cost of some of the parts...as low as if not lower than other makes. For example, a Porsche front disc for a NB, $183.89 at full MSRP and its one hell of a disc compared to the one on my Honda DD.

Its the accessibility to perform certain jobs and therefore the time required, that drives the price up.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Worn synchros would be very noticeable before any shop told you so and a tranny rebuild is way, way outside of routine maint. I consider that to be a major repair. Mine cost about $3200 and that was with my removing and reinstalling the tranny.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Mine cost about $3200 and that was with my removing and reinstalling the tranny.
If you remember, what parts were replaced? How much for the parts, how much for the labor?

I had to buy a gear set once for my used DD...not cheap.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 thousand clams is a rip-off. They see you driving a fine car and expect you to throw money at them.

I thought only dealers attempted rape, I didn't know independent shops attempted it too...

Quick Reply: Ok, so I did a search 1st. Did a 90k mi service go from $1400 in 2006 to $4500 today?