Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ok, so I did a search 1st. Did a 90k mi service go from $1400 in 2006 to $4500 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Hey, if any of you guys want to open up a shop in Rockville/Gaithersburg MD you have a built in clientele of tons of people like me that are paying an awful lot for Porsche services! Niche market just waiting for you. Very few shops in my area.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
PS - These are pics of it in all it's loveliness right now...

Who the eff routed that #2 spark plug cable? The last guy that worked on it was a winner.

It was supposed to look something like...

Actually, I have to pull #2 up through the grommet by a centimeter or two, just so that it does not touch the #1 cap.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Hi Steve, I'd be interested in hearing what they determined the problem was.

cheers

Craig
I quote:

"Here is where we are as of now: We have diagnosed and fixed the 'no starting' issue. It turned out to be a faulty relay located in the front trunk. We have also mounted and balanced the tires.

As for the rest of the work, the car needs: 90k service (which includes oil/filter, 12 spark plugs, engine and cabin filters, fuel filter & chassis/body lube), valve cover gaskets, plug wires, timing chain covers, front diff output seals and the AC blower resistor.

In order of priority, I would go: 1-Alignment 2-Spark Plug Wires 3-Valve Covers 4-90k Service 5-Front Diff Output Seals 6-Timing Chain Covers 7-AC Resistor

The issue is the amount of work that needs to be done. If all the work was to be done, it would be cheaper in the end to simply pull the motor and perform the work. The labor on the 90k, plug wires, valve covers & timing covers all drops. But if one of those tasks is not approved/performed, it then costs more to remove the engine and do the remaining jobs.

One other potential issue is the front diff leaks. The front differential holds very little gear oil (less than one quart) and is known to be weak. So any loss of oil only increases the chance of a damaged front differential.

My recommendation is to come up with a budget that you are comfortable with and we will let you know what work we can perform according to the priority list. We will whatever we can to make sure the car gets fixed properly, just let us know what we can do for you. Please give us a call whenever you can."

Quick Reply: Ok, so I did a search 1st. Did a 90k mi service go from $1400 in 2006 to $4500 today?