Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ok, so I did a search 1st. Did a 90k mi service go from $1400 in 2006 to $4500 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Glad you got it all sorted. I was going to suggest that a Dealer would probably do it for $1500...Too bad about the wires. You'll need to add 4-5 hours of labor and $400-500 for the wires...
Old 08-01-2011, 07:08 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

Hey Steve I guess you're fully aware not to volunteer a previous estimate to someone you're currently
asking for one..just sayin'
I recently had a similar experience with the starting of my TT some times it would sometimes it would
not,despite having a trickle charger etc.
I even tried a few different batteries and still just dash lights and nada.
When I proceeded to purchase a new full size platinum sealed unit viola she started right away.
Big relief,even thought the mobilizer had gone bad or maybe the alarm itself,all sorts of dash lights
flashed but no go.
6 years is pushing it for these batteries and limited useage,get a new one and tell us what happens
thanks Bert
Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd get a second quote for the tires.... Try Costco and Discount Tire. Personally, I like Tire Rack as I can read up on many of the tires available for my tire sizes, and then get it shipped via UPS. I then have a local tire shop install the tires for $10-$15/tire. And Tire Rack usually delivers within 1-2 days of the order, even when shipping UPS Ground. In aggregate, I tend to save 20-30% buying tires this way....

It sounds like this specific indy has sized you up as "non-technical" and is going to play that card for all it is worth. I personally had that issue when I owned my first 911 (in Baltimore, btw). Let's just say I was played several times.... DC/VA/MD is loaded with good independent shops. Definitely look into some other options.

Best of luck with the car. It looks awesome in your avatar.

-Blake
Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what your local Porsche dealer would quote you?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I was always hesitant to do some of the basic maintenance stuff until I spent some time on this forum. I now do brakes, brake fluid flush, transmission fluid change, front Viscous Coupling fluid change and many many other DIY stuff. These things really are not that hard. Now, the big stuff.... I'll pay to have it done right.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my car for over eight yrs., three of those in the desert climate and I haven't had to buy a new battery. I DIY'ed my plug wires a while back and that will eat up some labor. Not a small job. If I were doing it all over again, I'd pull the whole drivetrain out and do everything at once. I don't know how I've been able to avoid doing that all these years, but all the jobs I've done with the engine in the car have added up to a lot more time than it'd have taken to do it all with the engine out. Now that it's my only car, I really can't afford to have it down for very long. Someday I'll have to install those valve lifters and check valve I bought five yrs. ago. But this car just never seems to need anything. Original AC still blowing ice cold too, never been serviced.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
I'd get a second quote for the tires.... Try Costco and Discount Tire. Personally, I like Tire Rack as I can read up on many of the tires available for my tire sizes, and then get it shipped via UPS. I then have a local tire shop install the tires for $10-$15/tire. And Tire Rack usually delivers within 1-2 days of the order, even when shipping UPS Ground. In aggregate, I tend to save 20-30% buying tires this way....

It sounds like this specific indy has sized you up as "non-technical" and is going to play that card for all it is worth. I personally had that issue when I owned my first 911 (in Baltimore, btw). Let's just say I was played several times.... DC/VA/MD is loaded with good independent shops. Definitely look into some other options.

Best of luck with the car. It looks awesome in your avatar.

-Blake

Just to clarify, the indie it's sitting at now is one of the few I'd trust with my car with. It's at one of the "DC/VA/MD good independent shops" as we speak. I'm leaving for vacation in a few days and it'll sit there for a while so they have time to sort it all out. It's going to be great when I get it back, I just know it.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:54 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

So what's the word?

Andreas
Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

The mechanic went on a meth binge, took Steve's car and his ex-wife and headed out into the desert....no word since.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
So what's the word?

Andreas
The word... is that it's going to be VERY expensive to get my car back up to snuff. I've heard rumors of $5k-$7k so far plus the new tires I just bought for it from Tire Rack and shipped to my mechanic when I was gone.

I'll get the total tally early next week. I've been out west for a week doing more state high points (I'm at 41 now ) and got the news when I was out there.

I'll post here next week the details as soon as I get them and recommendations on what I should do (or wait to do). My "friends" are like "SELL IT!". In fact, they're all singing that tune. Idiots.

Yes, of course they would say that. They don't own one!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:23 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
The word... is that it's going to be VERY expensive to get my car back up to snuff. I've heard rumors of $5k-$7k so far plus the new tires I just bought for it from Tire Rack and shipped to my mechanic when I was gone.

I'll get the total tally early next week. I've been out west for a week doing more state high points (I'm at 41 now ) and got the news when I was out there.

I'll post here next week the details as soon as I get them and recommendations on what I should do (or wait to do). My "friends" are like "SELL IT!". In fact, they're all singing that tune. Idiots.

Yes, of course they would say that. They don't own one!
Steve,

I am real interested to know what your car will need at a cost upward of $7K plus tires. It seems that either you need to have a DIY mindset or a deep pocket to renew a 15 year old car. I no longer DIY and know that I will be writing checks when I get back into a 993.

Keep up posted.

Mark
Old 08-13-2011, 02:58 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7k?? ... careful you are not being taken for a ride...
Old 08-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Other than needing an engine or tranny rebuild, what kind of general maint. or repair on these cars can possibly cost that much?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Other than needing an engine or tranny rebuild, what kind of general maint. or repair on these cars can possibly cost that much?
+1. I'm vexed as well?

Andreas
Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
The fact is....very little and practically nothing if you DIY.

Going all out, replacing every single filter on the car, 12 spark plugs, 2 distributor caps, 2 rotors, a full set of Beru wires, all belts including the distributor belt, sealing washers and O-ring, 2L power steering fluid, 2L brake fluid comes to...$992.75 (Source: Pelican Parts). Add about another $83.50 for all valve cover seals and fasteners. All lubes...about $100.

Lets see now, how much for labor? I have to stop working for a living.

Quick Reply: Ok, so I did a search 1st. Did a 90k mi service go from $1400 in 2006 to $4500 today?