Sponsored by:

Unrealistic Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Unrealistic Buyers

OK, I babbled in, and walked all over JPP's Speedster conversion thread, so I'll make time to think out loud here about a little experience about what people THINK they want in one of these v. what the car really is.

This is about the yellow car, the faux RS, the Yellow Zonker. I don't need to go into chapter and verse about what the car is. If there's another more fully developed, arguably streetable, full weight 993 out there, let me know. Pleasure to drive, I can always count on it, hasn't left me stranded (except for one glitch, one time), built by a pro's pro. The one time, other than the Radical, where I've just written a check. And not much of one, considering what the car is.

So why would I be looking to move the car? Opportunity to do a 910 Bergspyder with some of my cousin's leftover parts. Or else take over one of the seemingly stillborn 907s.

Word gets to me via a racer friend that someone might be interested in the yellow car. (He's not on here, I'm not worried about offending anyone.) Pretty firm on price in the mid-40's. Potential owner has owned/raced 911s, supposedly wants something more dual purpose but is fast and not water cooled. I guess he's looked at GT3s and dislikes them as much as I do. Kindred spirit to buy the car!

Not so fast. He shows up yesterday at the shop. Car's not street licensed, but I'm heading up to Thunderhill today to instruct tomorrow, so he can go drive it then if he thinks he wants it. But the nitpicking started not 3 minutes in. There's a rock chip on the windshield. The paint is worn down on the trailing edges of the fenders. It doesn't have an OE wing. Why is it still a 3000lb. car? Where's the carpet for the front trunk. It doesn't "sound fast"????? (Stock mufflers and cat on it so I could get it smogged.) There's a crack on the rear reflector. And on and on and on it went. Best one was "how do I know it's really a 3.8?"

This is a 125K track rat, albeit with original paint still (as far as I know) and has never been damaged. Not to mention a cost-no-object build. I just basically quit talking to him, understood this wasn't going to meet his requirements, and to have a nice time on his search.

Basically a day later, I sit here amazed about people's unrealistic expectations. Or if he thought I'd just chop the price of the car in half.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See now I'm on the other end where I'm fine paying a reasonable price for the 95 I'm looking for, but sellers are in the 40's for a car that should, per RL, be in the 30's. Works both ways unfortunately.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slickster85
See now I'm on the other end where I'm fine paying a reasonable price for the 95 I'm looking for, but sellers are in the 40's for a car that should, per RL, be in the 30's. Works both ways unfortunately.
Looking for a street car, or a track car?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like your reaction was exactly right.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 214 Posts

It just boiling down to people. We are who we are. The right buyer will come along and appreciate the car. GLWS.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
Looking for a street car, or a track car?
Street, young kids, wife wouldn't be a fan.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:14 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 341 Likes on 239 Posts

Sometimes a buyer or customer, or a potential one, has just got to be fired. Some of them just never get it's a 50/50 relationship.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Ken people suck!

Sadly when most people are looking at a higher then market car, they want it to be "perfect". No matter what, when some one out side of the "track circle" looks at the car, they will not understand the patina of it. Either spruce it up a bit to broaden the market, or just deal with other track folk.

I would not believe it had a 3.8 with out records of the build or parts.

DO NOT put it on Graigs list, you will pull your hair out!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
It just boiling down to people. We are who we are. The right buyer will come along and appreciate the car. GLWS.
This was just a case of someone being turned onto me. I'm not actively marketing it. Obviously my intentions are public. If someone looks me up, fine, we'll talk.

Originally Posted by slickster85
Street, young kids, wife wouldn't be a fan.
Whole different car then. Guys 20+% over market on a street car are just thinking they can get a sucker. I've always maintained there are cars/houses/"things" that are "for sale" v. those people are "trying to sell."

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Ken people suck!

Sadly when most people are looking at a higher then market car, they want it to be "perfect". No matter what, when some one out side of the "track circle" looks at the car, they will not understand the patina of it. Either spruce it up a bit to broaden the market, or just deal with other track folk.

I would not believe it had a 3.8 with out records of the build or parts.

DO NOT put it on Graigs list, you will pull your hair out!
What irritated me was that this guy is supposedly IN the track circle. Car was desired as a track car. Or so I thought. Guess he really wants a concours car. It's not getting "spruced up." Honestly, it's in better cosmetic shape than well over half of the 993s out there, regardless of mileage.

A car like this is not advertised. I'll get a referral, or someone will look me up who knows what's going on.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Ken you need a beer......stop by Lancaster!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Then there was the thing about the 3.8. Right about receipts/proof. Which of course I have from when Kim had Steve build the car. Response I got was that was in 2003 (though ~7K miles), and how did he know it still had that P/C set. Right. Someone is going to figure out how to go back to a 3.6L set on a case that's machined for the good 3.8 set............... (He had no idea about slip-in v. machine for oversize 3.8 kits.)

As I read now how I've written this out, it's clear this was nit-picking to hammer down the price. Which doesn't work with me.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
Ken you need a beer......stop by Lancaster!
Gotta load up the car now. Maybe after I drop it in the garage up at the track, and have a "wonderful" dinner at the Casa tonight.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:55 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Ken, you sound riled up. Don't let that tire-kicker get under your skin.

Might I suggest you have a
Old 07-28-2011, 02:00 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, yes....
Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM
texas911
Race Car

It didn't work out, just let it go. This happens in sales all the time.

Quick Reply: Unrealistic Buyers