Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

9m93 Speedster S #3 - Prime Time viewing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:37 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One more thing to add--the chances of me selling to someone here would be next to zero, anyway. If the car goes, I don't want to hear about it again. (Which would be the case if one of my old customers, the guy who bought one of my prepped SCs years ago and has expressed interest in this car.) Someone, somewhere would be pissed/think I cheated him because a 140K mile 4S, even if it sold for $9999, would have a rock chip on the nose. No matter what someone's intentions are, unless you're into these things as deep as I am, there's going to be disappointment/unrealistic expectations. And if you are into these things that deep, you're blamed if the car isn't in better-than-factory build condition. One of the reasons I pulled the plug early on the slope/widebody conversions I was doing 20 years ago.

(That this is on my mind has everything to do with someone supposedly knowledgeable who really, really, really want(ed) the faux RS. I'll put THAT experience yesterday up in another thread when I've got some time later.)
Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

So Ken, how about painting it Sport Classic Grey to set off the Brown interior? You could easily add a set of 19" Fuchs and complementing pale grey stripes over the clamshell for the complete Sport Classic look .....

All jokes aside, there is an apparent strong demand for 9m built vehicles and we know for sure that ALL the owners of the 9mRS & 9m93 Speedsters built to date have been offered well above the build cost if they ever decided to sell, so whilst spending the disproportionately high conversion cost into a $10k 140,000mile 993 may seem extravagant I am sure that in the long run it would not be the worst investment that you ever made. Food for thought?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
So Ken, how about painting it Sport Classic Grey to set off the Brown interior? You could easily add a set of 19" Fuchs and complementing pale grey stripes over the clamshell for the complete Sport Classic look .....

All jokes aside, there is an apparent strong demand for 9m built vehicles and we know for sure that ALL the owners of the 9mRS & 9m93 Speedsters built to date have been offered well above the build cost if they ever decided to sell, so whilst spending the disproportionately high conversion cost into a $10k 140,000mile 993 may seem extravagant I am sure that in the long run it would not be the worst investment that you ever made. Food for thought?
I think we know the car is worth just a bit more than $9999..........

IF I ever went down this road, obviously I'd be doing it myself. Even though I hate bodywork. I'm more than happy to pay for the consult on how to do it right, as far as the coupe-to-cab part of it. I'm not really sure I'd bother with the Speedster windshield, or frankly any top at all. How about a Ginther windscreen like the old CP 914s, and a tonneau for getting caught out in unexpected bad weather!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by race911
I think we know the car is worth just a bit more than $9999..........

IF I ever went down this road, obviously I'd be doing it myself. Even though I hate bodywork. I'm more than happy to pay for the consult on how to do it right, as far as the coupe-to-cab part of it. I'm not really sure I'd bother with the Speedster windshield, or frankly any top at all. How about a Ginther windscreen like the old CP 914s, and a tonneau for getting caught out in unexpected bad weather!
Unfortunately our consult fees are higher than our conversion price.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm pleased to say that we are now progressing to the point where there is something tangible to show you all.

Following our impromptu dyno session the shell was stripped and loaded onto the Celette jig so we could make an immediate start on the fabrication work. You've probably seen this all before with Graham's and JP's builds, so at the risk of repeating myself I'm going to assume you would like to see them again....

Apologies for the poor quality of the shots but my Iphone does not like the low light of the fabrication shop.

First job was off with the quarters, b-posts, sills & cabrio stiffeners so we could access the inner sill structures. Dashtop & rear inner quarters were next on the list. Doesn't take long to generate a large pile of scrap steel.
Attached Images     
Old 08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

First construction job was to repair the back end of the rear chassis legs, a typical spot for the 993 to rust as the quarter panel supports are fitted before the shell is painted.
Attached Images   
Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rear quarters are bulkhead were next for the Owen treatment.....
Attached Images      
Old 08-19-2011, 02:23 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Whew ... a reprieve from the Governor!! Nice Timing! ... and you already have the rear bulkhead welded in??? Jeeeezus ....
Old 08-19-2011, 02:35 PM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

i just can't belive it! after 6 months of organizing, collecting parts and discussing the build had just begun!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:31 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RP993
i just can't belive it! after 6 months of organizing, collecting parts and discussing the build had just begun!
...As they say in the Bud Lite commercials .... "Here we Go ..!"
Old 08-20-2011, 11:54 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Slight pause to the progress this week when Owen caught some 48hr bug and had to be sent home on Monday. The Friday before he had cut out & welded in the 9m engine bay stiffener for the rear panel, today he's progressed to the front end and removed the LHS door post which was too badly damaged by the check strap to repair.
Attached Images   
Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rear bulkhead stiffener now welded in place, along with the nearside A-post which we replaced complete due to check strap damage to the original pillar.

Hopefully I will be able to post more updates as this week progresses, but make the most of it because I'll be away on vacation for the following two weeks and will probably miss the finishing of the fabrication work and the shell going for e-coat.
Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Replaced the damaged left A pillar with the new 964 Speedster A pillar I see ... sort of a 'Two-Fer' .. So, can't Owen Snap some pics with someone's cel phone while'st you're playing around with that little two-wheeled kiddies bike of yours for two weeks? That way you can post it all when you get back ... ;-)
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Don't you go dissing "Tiny", been prepping it all night for the roadtrip so not only is it now freshly serviced, for once it is also spotless.

OK, I'll see if Pete can take regular photos as the work progresses whilst I'm away.....

Quick Reply: 9m93 Speedster S #3 - Prime Time viewing.