Sponsored by:

DC metro types: Taylor Chapman Opened his own shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:11 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Wow, 9 years of ownership and never needed one but the clock is ticking so I'll get one SOON!
mine failed while parked in meh garage.. ..get one..
Old 07-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Instead of waiting for the day it would fail I just put a new one in to avoid the possible hassle. Still have a spare just in case......
+1.

Course; I never had a DME problem. That would be far too simple a fix. Mine was a very different, very complicated and very... worthy-of-suspect... problem which makes Steve's three months seem like a dream.

Steve-o... when you get to the 12-month mark; shoot me a PM and I'll recommend a therapist. Alternatively, my car will probably be at Taylor's new digs for the lift day on the sixth. We yanked it from GAG on Monday. Perspective being everything; I'd be glad to turn that frown of yours upside-down and, after about ten minutes of discussion, have you leaving with a smile *because* you are experiencing intermittent starting problems.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
+1.

Course; I never had a DME problem. That would be far too simple a fix. Mine was a very different, very complicated and very... worthy-of-suspect... problem which makes Steve's three months seem like a dream.

Steve-o... when you get to the 12-month mark; shoot me a PM and I'll recommend a therapist. Alternatively, my car will probably be at Taylor's new digs for the lift day on the sixth. We yanked it from GAG on Monday. Perspective being everything; I'd be glad to turn that frown of yours upside-down and, after about ten minutes of discussion, have you leaving with a smile *because* you are experiencing intermittent starting problems.
Ugggh, sorry to hear all of that. Truth be told, I've had my intermittent starting problem for 3+ years now but it's come back hard to the point that it rarely starts when I take it somewhere else other than my driveway.

In any case, I'll be dropping it off at Taylor's new garage tomorrow so we'll see if he can fix it. It really has to do it first when it's there to be diagnosed I guess. Can't wait to at least drive it tomorrow. It's been weeks since I've dared! It probably won't start

I know, think positive. I DID get my DME relay in the mail today, I also finally bought a towhook (long story, don't ask, but NEVER let Speedy Towing in Gaithersburg MD tow your car!!!!) and my battery ground cable should be here in the mail in a couple of days.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I DID get my DME relay in the mail today.
Steve,
Why not go out to the garage and replace the relay tonight? It takes 17 seconds, start to finish.

If the car fails to start in the morning, you can at least rule the DME out, rather than paying for another diagnosis....

Just a thought.

Andreas
Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Don't laugh and I just did a 10 minute search (ok, 5 minutes, maybe 4) but where the heck does the DME relay go? Where is it in my car to replace it? Anyone got any quick and dirty pics of it's location? Replacing it shouldn't do a darn thing about a no starting problem where the car isn't even cranking but I can at least rule it out by replacing it. If ...I can see where it goes.

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Steve,
Why not go out to the garage and replace the relay tonight? It takes 17 seconds, start to finish.

If the car fails to start in the morning, you can at least rule the DME out, rather than paying for another diagnosis....

Just a thought.

Andreas
Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Disregard. I just typed "DME Install 993" and up popped this link. Thank god for Google! Everything is on there!

http://p-car.com/diy/relay/

Quick Reply: DC metro types: Taylor Chapman Opened his own shop