Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Who has DIY'ed a front bumperette delete and R&R?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who has DIY'ed a front bumperette delete and R&R?

I got backed into today by a raised truck with a big trailer hitch. The guy said he didn't hear me leaning on my perfectly working horn. I'm not trying to make money off this, but am wondering if the guy's insurance is just gonna laugh at the $2200 estimate I got. If they lowball me, how much will it cost me to DIY this and how tough a job is it, assuming I have a pro do the prep and paint?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I got backed into today by a raised truck with a big trailer hitch. The guy said he didn't hear me leaning on my perfectly working horn. I'm not trying to make money off this, but am wondering if the guy's insurance is just gonna laugh at the $2200 estimate I got. If they lowball me, how much will it cost me to DIY this and how tough a job is it, assuming I have a pro do the prep and paint?
There are no aftermarket parts to get "cheap" here. They should write the check in your name, done deal. What you do with the repair is your business.

Did the estimate come from YOUR shop?

Bumper covers are readily available, the euro version for both are in stock still I imagine. If you want a euro turbo style, there are just two left in the country, in Ontario, Ca...ask me how I know.

Naturally, just having the bumperette space infilled is a viable option, and certainly the more cost effective route. A standard C2/C4 front bumper cover is still almost $1K, + shipping and tax if applicable.

If the bumper cover is repairable, just get them infilled. Decide if you want euro clear corners, or euro orange corners. If not repairable, scan for used first. I believe I saw a couple of standard covers while I was looking Sunday night.

Best of luck, but always remember...you were the one harmed here, thru absolutely no fault of your own. You have every right to have the car repaired to your total satisfaction.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 387 Posts

I filled in the bumperette holes then had a shop do the final prep and finish. The whole job ended up costing about $600, but I removed/installed the bumper cover which saved quite a bit of labor charges. If I were to do it over again, I'd have a plastic bumper repair place do the job by welding in a piece of bumper material.

The repair estimate is the repair estimate. His insurance company may laugh (probably not, though), but it will cost what it costs to repair the damage and they are obligated to pay it. $2200 for any repair is not a lot anymore, and they should consider themselves lucky that the hitch didn't do any other damage.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are needing a NB cover I am about to pull mine off the car to install a Euro one. It needs to be refinished but I can let it go cheap. PM me if you are interested
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, but I am absolutely getting a Euro or turbo bumper out of this. I've heard they are both $1300 from Sunset. I just got a verbal guestimate from Patrick Motorsport over the phone yesterday. They haven't seen the car yet. I'll call the at-fault driver in a few hours. I'm sure he'll want to go the insurance route, since the bare bumper alone is over $1000. He won't want to pay cash.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that bites... Sorry Rick

yep, some guy named John did a DIY a while back

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...tte-holes.html

but I like the WB bumper cover idea... Good luck with the situation
Old 07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Rick,
Sorry to hear this - I remember your 993 fondly from the MD get-togethers.

Andreas
Old 07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, but I am absolutely getting a Euro or turbo bumper out of this. I've heard they are both $1300 from Sunset. I just got a verbal guestimate from Patrick Motorsport over the phone yesterday. They haven't seen the car yet. I'll call the at-fault driver in a few hours. I'm sure he'll want to go the insurance route, since the bare bumper alone is over $1000. He won't want to pay cash.
Sunset's latest is $1321 and change, plus shipping. The shipping out East was quite expensive for me. Your shipping should be very fair, considering your just a couple of states away from them.

Be advised though...there are only two euro turbo bumper covers left in Porsche stock...both in Ontario, Ca. I took the last out of the Atlanta warehouse yesterday. I don't know if more are enroute...but it would absolutely suck to have to wait for the part from Germany.

Make sure you get a formal quote from your shop of choice, regardless if the at fault driver wants to go thru his insurance...or pay cash. I wouldn't throw him the $2200 figure, then come back again at $2500 when you get the real quote.

Remember, there are almost $100 in gaskets/foam blocks/etc, that should or probably have to be changed along with the bumper cover. Make sure the estimate includes everything so you are protected from additional out of pocket expenses.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm calling him in a minute. I'm not going to even give him an estimate. I'm going to tell him the bumper cover alone costs $1321 before we even get started. Pretty sure that will make him tell me to call Farmer's. And then the fun starts.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 387 Posts

Why not a Euro Turbo bumper? Remember that going to a Turbo front bumper from a standard NB bumper also requires some additional parts like front half of the wheel well liners, etc, etc. Another $200 should cover those parts.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, Euro turbo bumper would be good too. I left a vm with the guy's insurance agent this morning and haven't heard back yet. This is all premature until I hear from him.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

keep in mind the price diff between a standard US C2 front bumper cover($1062 at Sunset), and the euro turbo($1321 at Sunset)

The insurance company will certainly pay for exact replacement parts, any upgrades will be on your dime.

Best of luck
Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's so easy to fill the bumperette. I did it in less than an hour using plastic bumper repair kit. But I also cheated by creating a mold off from an Euro turbo front bumper I had.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm concerned with the bumperette filling mod showing cracks over time. It's crazy hot and sunny here. Though my car is usually garaged, it does bake in the sun when I'm out and about. I can find a clean US-spec bumper locally for $400. I assume the paint work would be another $400 and I'd have to buy the Euro-spec clear side markers. Now I have the cut-down ones from AJUSA to fit my US-spec bumper. I guess I could sell those easily enough. Need to hear what the insurance guy says.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

I'm concerned with the bumperette filling mod showing cracks over time. It's crazy hot and sunny here. Though my car is usually garaged, it does bake in the sun when I'm out and about. I can find a clean US-spec bumper locally for $400. I assume the paint work would be another $400 and I'd have to buy the Euro-spec clear side markers. Now I have the cut-down ones from AJUSA to fit my US-spec bumper. I guess I could sell those easily enough. Need to hear what the insurance guy says.
euro clears are $60+ change at Sunset

don't ask me how I know all current pricing....

Quick Reply: Who has DIY'ed a front bumperette delete and R&R?