Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has DIY'ed a front bumperette delete and R&R?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I'm concerned with the bumperette filling mod showing cracks over time. It's crazy hot and sunny here. Though my car is usually garaged, it does bake in the sun when I'm out and about.
That's why I was recommending that a plastic bumper repair shop weld in a plastic piece first and then use minimal flexible plastic filler. Mine is all filler and a very slight hairline crack developed, which seems to have stopped since a clear bra was installed. I suspect that a goodly part of the reason for the crack is that I put in a little too much filler and might have pushed the bumper cover too hard on the end of the (internal) bumper.

If you do a DIY, remember to really taper the edges. You might also want to make a "buck" to form the inside so as to not get too much filler in there to where it might come in contact with the internal bumper, like mine does.

Also, if you decide to do it yourself, PM me and I'll send you some mesh tape. (You'd be surprised what a whole roll of that costs.) Might have some other materials from the project laying around that I could send to you, too.

Still recommending a good plastic bumper repair shop, though.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm concerned with the bumperette filling mod showing cracks...Rick Lee
I just had mine done, and my autobody guy would only use plastic, not filler. He happened to have a used bumper in the shop, from which he cut the pieces.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still dealing with insurance, as the guy who hit me was driving his buddy's truck, so his insurance is trying to get the truck owner's insurance to pay it. Insurance covers the vehicle here, not the driver.

Anyway, I have a local lead on a street glass turbo body kit. I haven't asked the guy if he'll sell just the bumper, but the bumper looks like it would fit the bill and I could probably sell the rest of the kit to offset some of the cost. Anyway ever use street glass on a non-track car? How does it look and fit?

Quick Reply: Who has DIY'ed a front bumperette delete and R&R?