Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Supercharger Project - data logging begins

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011 | 02:27 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Thanks axl
I have that diagram but it means little to me. I don't have climate control, don't have smog pump, and not using map sensor.

After doing some more research - the pipe in post #13 would be the tank venting valve. The direction of the flow according to the valve points inwards to the engine. So logically the fuel vapours from the carbon cannister should be pumped back into the engine so I'm thinking this is connected to "B" the larger barbed fitting on the inlet manifold.

Is this what your setup has as well?

This is connection "C" on the intake manifold - if it helps.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 09-05-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2011 | 02:31 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

This picture is the brake booster if I'm not mistaken.
This will go to "B".

Last edited by haygeebaby; 09-05-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-15-2011 | 02:35 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

This must be the fuel pressure regulator.
And it will go to "C" on the intake manifold.
Is that right?

Old 07-15-2011 | 02:38 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

And this pipe which I think is an engine oil line, becuase it originates from the right side of the engine bay.
This would go into "B" as well.
How is it like on your setup?

Old 07-15-2011 | 02:45 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

And finally - the SC bypass valve would logically go to "C" on the intake manifold.
Don't want to get these connections wrong.
Old 07-15-2011 | 03:18 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Oh man - now I'm reading more and confusing myself even more.
The bypass valve is vacuum operated - so does that mean it needs to go to either "A" or "B"?

And the check valve - I use the existing one, but what would it get connected to?

Sorry gents - I'm starting to see that I have no idea which pipes go where. And the more I read online the more confused I get.
Old 07-15-2011 | 03:58 PM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Thanks axl
I have that diagram but it means little to me. I don't have climate control, don't have smog pump, and not using map sensor.

After doing some more research - the pipe in post #13 would be the tank venting valve. The direction of the flow according to the valve points inwards to the engine. So logically the fuel vapours from the carbon cannister should be pumped back into the engine so I'm thinking this is connected to "B" the larger barbed fitting on the inlet manifold.

Is this what your setup has as well?

This is connection "C" on the intake manifold - if it helps.
Correct for the tank vent valve, it allows the intake to suck in fuel vapor and burns it rather than going out to the environment. I think you would connect it to either A or B. I would pick the smaller one since you need the bigger one for the brake booster. Brake booster needs vacuum to operate the power brakes.

That C connection on the manifold is the one that will see boost pressure. It normally goes to the fuel pressure regulator and the TPC controller (boost sensor to controll the additional injector). Since you're not using TPC controller, what are you using to measure boost so then you can control the extra amount of fuel need for the extra air?
Old 07-15-2011 | 04:32 PM
axl911
Drifting

This picture is the brake booster if I'm not mistaken.
This will go to "B".
I think that is a brake booster. You have a 95 C2 right? If so, that would probably be it. However, see the other line connected to the same assembly? You will also have to figure out where it goes. I think it also go to the OEM intake. You'll probably have to cap that or something so it doesn't create a major air leak.
Old 07-15-2011 | 04:36 PM
axl911
Drifting

This must be the fuel pressure regulator.
And it will go to "C" on the intake manifold.
Is that right?
Yeah, that's the fuel pressure regulator and it goes to C.
Old 07-15-2011 | 04:42 PM
axl911
Drifting

Oh man - now I'm reading more and confusing myself even more.
The bypass valve is vacuum operated - so does that mean it needs to go to either "A" or "B"?

And the check valve - I use the existing one, but what would it get connected to?

Sorry gents - I'm starting to see that I have no idea which pipes go where. And the more I read online the more confused I get.
I don't think the SC bypass valve (that flapper/plunger thinggie that attaches to the supercharger right) goes to either A or B. From what I've seen, it goes to its own port somewhere on the supercharger or inlet. I think they make several different model/type of bypass. Atached is a SC with the bypass attached. Note where the bypass hose goes.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2011 | 04:48 PM
axl911
Drifting

And this pipe which I think is an engine oil line, becuase it originates from the right side of the engine bay.
This would go into "B" as well.
How is it like on your setup?
Here is where you have some decisions to make. That is indeed one of the 3 oil vent lines from the oil tank. Its purpose is to allow the intake to suck in oil vapors inside the oil tank. I left this one open because if you run the intercooler, the oil vapor sucked in would coat the intercooler internals and reduce its effectiveness. If you choose not to connect it, you can put a little K&N fiter on it or run it to a breather catch can.

Since there are two oil vent line from the tank to the intake (the third is from the crank to the oil tank, you must keep this one) you should either run both to the intake or leave both open. Connecting one to the intake and leaving one open is like creating a huge vacuum leak.

Keep reading and researching....you will begin to understand...then get confused. But that is a good thing, since you must get past the confusion to get to a true understanding on how things work. My negotiation professor said that, it is very true.

Last edited by axl911; 07-15-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2011 | 06:07 PM
Denise993
Pro

Enjoy your SC! I'm absolutely no help on what should go where... I pay people to fix and I just drive.

I'm looking forward to hearing how much you love it!
Old 07-16-2011 | 09:07 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies Anthony.

For the bypass valve - only 4th and 5th generation units from Eaton have an internal bypass. Earlier units have a remote unit which is plumbed to the discharge side of the SC. So this means the bypass should be connected to connection "C".

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/bypass.htm

Thanks Denise - I notice that you always comment that you love your SC and that it has been trouble free. I'm hoping for exactly the same here.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 07-16-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2011 | 09:18 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Oil line is interesting. What to do? What are the pros and cons?

One of the oil lines connects to the rubber intake elbow. I have made a custom pipe that is shorter than the original so it can connect to the 2nd oil line. If I go this route then to avoid a vacuum leak I should also attach the 3rd oil line (in pic in post #19) to the intake as well. Need to think of where to connect as there are no more OEM points to connect to - must be custom made.

Sounds like the easy thing to do is to just leave both open and run to a breather catch can. Do you have a picture of your breather catch can setup Axl ?

Last edited by haygeebaby; 09-05-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2011 | 09:59 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by axl911
Since you're not using TPC controller, what are you using to measure boost so then you can control the extra amount of fuel need for the extra air?
By ditching the Unichip piggy back setup and simply using Protomotive stage 2 turbo software with stage 1 timing (which is just a replacement ECU chip) I don't have to worry about the 7th and 8th injector which is part of the TPC gen 4 SC design.

To supply the increased fuel demands we have installed larger injectors. Stock injectors for a C2 are 26lb. The larger injectors are 36lb.

We have also added a Protomotive mass flow expansion network - which I believe results in a more precise reading of the mass air flow sensor (MAF) - which the ECU uses for fuel injection, ignition, oxygen sensor control, venting of the carbon canister, and knock regulation.

This setup greatly simplifies the TPC SC setup.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 11-19-2011 at 03:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Supercharger Project - data logging begins