Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody looking for factory Litronics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

OK, talked to the seller. For 11 or more, he will sell to us at $1050. He is sending me pics of everything that is included so we can go from there.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:16 PM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just contacted my Porsche parts guy. My understanding is that the specified part number is for the headlight assembly only. Now, maybe this is a great deal and good luck to all interested, but for me, personally, too much uncertainty (btw, I have a 1996, too). The Porsche factory wants $4k for a complete unit with all that you need. Sorry, I am withdrawing my interest.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by tropheus
There is no difference between the US and ROW version.I have both and they are identical.

Jack
US and European light patterns are different. On the outside the headlights look the same but the US lights allow a small amount of light to go above the cutout of the light beam. It is meant to light up road signs. In Europe, the cut out is sharp with no light passing over it. I have been using the Euro headlights on several Audis and VWs and the difference is very noticeable.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
TheBen
Drifting

I'm getting pictures from the seller so we can see exactly what is included. I also found a source for the control units - 200 for both - and the seller has several sets.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
US and European light patterns are different. On the outside the headlights look the same but the US lights allow a small amount of light to go above the cutout of the light beam. It is meant to light up road signs. In Europe, the cut out is sharp with no light passing over it. I have been using the Euro headlights on several Audis and VWs and the difference is very noticeable.
In general you are right. The normal headlights are different in Euro and US. However, the Porsche Xenon Headlights are the same for the US and ROW. You can check this as they have the certificate label in the glass for both markets.

Jack
Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fineito
I just contacted my Porsche parts guy. My understanding is that the specified part number is for the headlight assembly only. Now, maybe this is a great deal and good luck to all interested, but for me, personally, too much uncertainty (btw, I have a 1996, too). The Porsche factory wants $4k for a complete unit with all that you need. Sorry, I am withdrawing my interest.
agree..

sorry I am out
Old 07-13-2011, 03:27 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Well, of course the Porsche factory wants 4,000....

I think I shall undertake this whatever happens with the group buy (which seems to be falling apart; that's why I hate trying to organize these things)

Last edited by TheBen; 07-13-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is a full kit, I am still in. Thanks for the help with this. Let us know what you find out with respect to the included parts.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
TheBen
Drifting

I will. Awaiting the seller's email. Also, trying to confirm about that source of ballasts.

I now believe that the price includes everything but the ballasts...but I found them for 200/set. I'll let everyone know asap.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
They are now over $3k from Suncoast:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=993LIGHTS

The kit number from Sunset includes all of the parts needed for the installation per the service instruction list I posted here previously. Even with the controller/ballast you still need the wiring harness and all the little parts to make it "correct". For me this is important to do it per factory specs otherwise one can save a lot of money and go with an aftermarket solution for a lot less money ($270 for a kit from Xenon Depot which includes Philips bulbs). I will be interested to see what the seller thinks is a "complete" kit and what the cost is.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
one can save a lot of money and go with an aftermarket solution for a lot less money
Yeah, I know this is a "purist" thing, but I got a great HID kit with a 5 year warranty, including bulbs, for about $250. Meanwhile, I just looked at the website I bought my HIDs from, and now it's $100 for the kit I bought, and $60 for the 5-year warranty, and it I didn't need to purchase anything additional for them to work. I've had them for 2-3 years, never once a problem.

Hard for me to justify something that costs around 10X-20X as much for the same result and no one would be able to notice any difference.

I believe in the 1990s, Litronics and HID was new and expensive, thus the expensive price. But now it's cheap and everywhere. Porsche is charging $4,000 for a $160 set-up? That's crazy.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM
TheBen
Drifting

OK, talked with the seller. It is the lamps, bulbs, and ignitors only.

I have a source for the ballasts/control units. The wiring is available from Sunset for around $80.

Has this fallen apart completely or are some people still in? I can see if he'll go lower because this does not include ballasts.
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry, Ben, not trying to step on your group buy. If you spend all this money on Litronics, I'll be taking you out to lunch next time we meet up
Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Yeah, I know this is a "purist" thing, but I got a great HID kit with a 5 year warranty, including bulbs, for about $250. Meanwhile, I just looked at the website I bought my HIDs from, and now it's $100 for the kit I bought, and $60 for the 5-year warranty, and it I didn't need to purchase anything additional for them to work. I've had them for 2-3 years, never once a problem.

Hard for me to justify something that costs around 10X-20X as much for the same result and no one would be able to notice any difference.

I believe in the 1990s, Litronics and HID was new and expensive, thus the expensive price. But now it's cheap and everywhere. Porsche is charging $4,000 for a $160 set-up? That's crazy.
I have aftermarket HIDs too. I think the difference in cost is at least partly due to the self-leveling feature that is not present in our aftermarket HIDs, that I'm guessing IS present in the Litronics (I believe car manufacturers have to have a self-leveling feature in their HID headlights).

To Ben... Right now I'm really on the fence on these. If it was plug-and-play it would be one thing, but wiring harnesses and ballasts are starting to add more money than they may be worth to me. Bummer.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I have aftermarket HIDs too. I think the difference in cost is at least partly due to the self-leveling feature that is not present in our aftermarket HIDs, that I'm guessing IS present in the Litronics (I believe car manufacturers have to have a self-leveling feature in their HID headlights).
I have aftermarket HIDs and they have the leveling "bubbles". Are the self levelers discussed here some sort of automatic adjustment to compensate for loading?

Quick Reply: Anybody looking for factory Litronics?