Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zimmermann "Formula Z" 993 Turbo/RS rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:47 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Sebro is the brand considered OEM and what you normally get if you buy from Porsche.

Thomas
Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Actually the story goes like this.

Normally, a 914/6 came with the same front disc as any Porsche in 1970 and the same cast iron ATE caliper as a 911T and the rear discs were solid and designed to work with an ATE caliper that had the parking brake built into it.

Along the way I decided to install motorsport GT ventilated rear discs and sourced the discs and calipers from Porsche. The front brakes on a GT used either 908 calipers or 911 S calipers which were basically the same aluminum caliper, but the 908's used thicker pads and both used the stock front disc. I used the 911S units.

Anyway, story getting long, to make the system completely new, a friend at a parts store sourced for me what he said were OEM front discs made by Zimmermann. I bought them and they looked identical in every way, down to the balancing staples in the disc eye, to my original Porsche installed discs.

So, I have assumed Zimmermann to be an OE supplier of discs since and maybe have thought this erroneously for the past 30+ years.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Anyway, story getting long, to make the system completely new, a friend at a parts store sourced for me what he said were OEM front discs made by Zimmermann. I bought them and they looked identical in every way, down to the balancing staples in the disc eye, to my original Porsche installed discs.

So, I have assumed Zimmermann to be an OE supplier of discs since and maybe have thought this erroneously for the past 30+ years.
OE and OEM are not the same. I attempted to explain that a few posts before...

Andreas
Old 07-14-2011, 12:50 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

OK, so if they were front discs then they should have been the same as all 911 from 1970-83. Zimmerman is not OEM supplier to Porsche

Sebro are OEM to Porsche on the early 911 solid front discs and floating hub turbo discs.

No other discs will be Sebro if you buy them from Porsche
Old 07-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
OE and OEM are not the same. I attempted to explain that a few posts before...

Andreas
Could it be what he have here are multiple suppliers being described as OE or OEM depending on whether they are actually used in production at a given time?

Perhaps Porsche uses ATE for one production period and puts in an order to Brembo for another production period or for replacement parts inventory.

All parts being made to same drawings and specification.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
OK, so if they were front discs then they should have been the same as all 911 from 1970-83. Zimmerman is not OEM supplier to Porsche

Sebro are OEM to Porsche on the early 911 solid front discs and floating hub turbo discs.

No other discs will be Sebro if you buy them from Porsche
Interesting. You know a lot of arcane stuff here on brake discs. You must be in the business or something, so what is the manufacturer list Porsche has used for brake discs used in production and as replacement parts?

Who, for example, did make the ventilated front discs from 1969 to 1973 for Porsche?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:55 PM
911PERVY
Banned

I have no real idea, apart from not being Zimmerman! Brembo or ATE would be my bet
Old 07-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
I have no real idea, apart from not being Zimmerman! Brembo or ATE would be my bet
Even more interesting, so Zimmermann has never supplied to Porsche, surprising being a German company and all. Just curious how you are so sure about this, is their bad blood between the companies or something?

It is probably ATE on the early discs then, because it looks like Brembo did not start supplying Porsche until the 1980s. From their website on their 1980's History (the company didn't start until 1961):

"1980

Following a precise strategy of expansion into specialized market niches, at the beginning of the eighties, Brembo started developing innovative products and technological processes for cars, racing and motorcycles. The brake caliper for cars in aluminium, added to the product range in 1980, was highly innovative in terms of design and material and it were later adopted by high performance car manufacturers, such as Porsche (still supplied 100% by Brembo), Mercedes, Lancia, BMW, Nissan and Chrysler. In the mid-eighties, Brembo decided to also compete in the sector of brake discs for industrial vehicles..."

So it looks like everything Porsche has come from Brembo since 1990 when the 911 went all Brembo.

Thanks, this is interesting stuff to me.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:40 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Bob, Surprised to learn you've sold your Cup car. Must have been a tough decision.
Any chance you might start a new thread about your new 993 and what you're up to? I'd be interested.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dave morris
Bob, Surprised to learn you've sold your Cup car. Must have been a tough decision.
Any chance you might start a new thread about your new 993 and what you're up to? I'd be interested.
Yeah Dave it almost killed me to sell it, but I needed to do a perhaps last project before crawling around the car gets to be a hassle.

Will do thread on 993 once it moves along a bit. Car is up on my lift coming apart right now (I have only driven it around 5 miles). I have a G50/32 Clubsport gearbox for it plus a bunch of RS stuff including the factory front and rear spoilers and rockers along with monoballs, quick shifter parts, GT2 tie rods, uprights etc.

Plan is to get it going with the new gearbox, new suspension, brakes and aerokit. Out goes the heavy interior along the way, then off comes the roof panel to remove the sunroof. After that the GT3 engine I have here will go into it.

I plan to drag it out a bit, I have learned building them is more fun than driving them sometimes.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I plan to drag it out a bit, I have learned building them is more fun than driving them sometimes.

Yer a hot-rodder at heart and a very sick man.

And I absolutely understand!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, my condolences on the Cup. Know how difficult it must have been. Somebody sure got a beauty.

Sounds like you're well on your way with the 993. I look forward to following your progress. I'll be tempted to follow your lead.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:51 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Didnt the 930 have Brembo calipers on when it cam out in 1978?

OE & OEM, easy to get confused; Beru supplied the lead sets for our 993, if you buy a Beru dizzy cap is that OEM? Yes, its OEM not OE, thats why I prefer using Genuine Porsche instead of OE
Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

I read that Porsche actually made the 930 calipers in their own shops which would be unusual.

I agree on the Genuine Porsche. I think sometimes the quality level of the same part made by the same OEM going to Porsche for sale through them is better than that same part sold on the aftermarket.

Same with hot rod parts, if they come from Porsche Motorsport they fit, if they come from some non- OEM aftermarket supplier it is usually a hammer and file fit.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB

Yer a hot-rodder at heart and a very sick man.

And I absolutely understand!
The sickness has kept me from getting really sick sometimes

Quick Reply: Zimmermann "Formula Z" 993 Turbo/RS rotors