Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Confessions of a Speedsterholic ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 AM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely stunning. The work they do is truly amazing. Any plans for special set of wheels?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Jager's going to be pi$$ed!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

finally!!!!

you must be sleeping much better now JP

I cannot wait to see it in person. Now we can finally plan the FDM BBQ
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
I found myself holding my breadth as I scrolled through the transformation pictures.
Same here. I have come back to this thread four times to go over the photos.... amazing!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
That is simply spectacular! Congratulations.
Thanks, Brian. You own my two other 'Bucketlist' cars .. and I wouldn't change the color on the Carrera GT ... LOVE it!!

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
That is an amazing journey and resulted in an amazing car. Amazing! I look forward to seeing it in October.
Hi Chuck! Thanks my friend. One of the first things I did when I got home was to put the BHP license frame on the back plate ... a little tribute to her past.... but I moved the front plate down to the lower opening .. so now I have a spare frame!
Can't wait to meet you in October as well, I suspect the days will fly by now ...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Renaud Bizet
Congratulations !!!

the car is truly stunning, it was pretty amazing when I saw it last year, but now it is on a different level altogether. Can't wait to see it in person.
How could you resist a 9m engine upgrade? If I could get the wife to sign off on that, I would really go for it. Was the shipping too expensive? Just curious.

Enjoy your masterpiece.

Renaud
Thanks Renaud .. a little more radical than an 'HID upgrade ... so I needed some help .. To be frank, I'm semi-retired and I knew this would be a stretch, so I needed to make a serious budget and try to stick as close as possible to it so not a lot of 'wiggle room' for extra goodies, not that I wouldn't have liked to go down that road .. Just the cost of shipping in a private 20' container wasn't bad .. BUT the Marine Insurance, total loss only was $1000 each way and the cost of getting the car in and out of the container on both ends ... add another $1500 .. then there's customs duty on the U.S. side plus a Custom's Broker that's mandatory and they take a % 'Bond' of the total value of the goods ... NONE of that expense was disclosed to me while discussing shipping costs with the carrier .. of course. Otherwise, nobody would ship anything anywhere ...

Originally Posted by EckFe1
Very awesome, what did you have done to the engine? Just an overhaul or did you add some goodies as you were right at the source?
I would blast my budget if I had any parts or even the car there to get stuff done.
I like it alot,
Ed
Hi Ed, As I said above, I had a very strict budget, but 9m's quote for the engine rebuild was actually quite good. I just needed all of the rest of my resources for 'hidden problems' and they showed up in spades. Here's a picture of the 3 pistons they had to replace ..

Obviously some previous owner missed a shift ... and then fixed the resulting leaks with RTV sealant! So, to ensure there wasn't any contaminant damage in the lower end, we had to open it all the way. Fortunately, all of the damage was isolated around the valve train. There was a chipped cam that had to be replaced and several valves and lifters AND missing hardware and brackets everywhere this genius worked .. luckily 9m has a LOT of very low-mile used 993 engine parts available .. and Marc did a beautiful job putting it back together, the engine looks 'as new' now with the clock set back to zero.

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot
Once again, the lads at 9m deliver! If we still have gasoline to power our cars by the time I can afford it, I would love to have them build me their version of the RS with the 400+ hp motor, then spend the summer driving it around Europe. Here's to hoping I win the lottery soon!
Honestly, it's more affordable than you think. I spent several days at 9M listening to Colin turn his magic in the next room with 400+hp normally aspirated motors on the Dyno .. the sound in an old brick pre-war building with 30 foot ceilings and cement floors takes your breath away ...

Originally Posted by kjr914
It's been said above, but about all I can say right now is....
WOW!
just...
WOW!!!
Thanks Keith!

Originally Posted by RP993
Gratulations JP!

really awesome work, enjoy it!
I will, well ... with this much invested, I better ...

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
Miles of smiles to you!

Originally Posted by skibbatechno
Very cool!

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
That, is one helluva popemobile
Gotta get that hat in there somehow ..

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
At last the SpeedArena is revealed!
Great news that the car's arrived safe & sound and back with JP in the California sunshine. It was good to share 'experiences' with JP as another 993 Speedster evolved and great work by Colin & Marc and all the crew over at 9m in creating a sister car to mine!

Graham
Thanks Graham! I know I said it before, but it was a REAL pleasure meeting you and your car .. I'll never forget our day at Oulton Park watching the race there ...

Originally Posted by Viggo
JPP- Congrats! WOW. . I can't find words to describe what you have accomplished. Takes passion, dedication, patience and a big wallet . I love all the small details, the painted guage surrounds, the 9m doorpanels with pockets, the 993RS comfort seats and ofcourse the speedster details. The 996 3-spoker looks like it has been comstomized (grips), please tell us more! Did you put RS carpet in the back or is there a rear seat delete underneath the speedster "cover"? Again, very well done!
Hi Viggo! Damn, I thought I was going to be in Stockholm this fall, but the meeting as been moved to the U.S. I could have met the Black Pearl ..
Anyway, thanks and yes, it's been quite a journey .. but I think worth it. The steering wheel was one I bought from a company here in the Bay Area. They take standard 3-spokers and rebuild them with bigger diameter and more 'ergonomic' grips .. but honestly, their leatherwork was crap, so 9M's trimmer recovered the leather sections to match the rest of the interior. I really like it. Now if I could just find a cheap leather airbag .. but that's an oxymoron methinks ...

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Simply brilliant! I am in awe of their work. I found myself holding my breadth as I scrolled through the transformation pictures.
Yes, I was doing that almost every evening as Colin would send me that days progress in pictures. Some nights I went to bed thinking .. 'oh my god, .. I must be crazy .. '

Originally Posted by paa502
Congratulations. Great story and absolutely stunning outcome. Enjoy.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Wow - gorgeous...

Without a doubt my favorite speedster!

Congrats JP - way to scratch that itch!
Yes, I've got hedonism and spendthrift down to a fine art!!

Last edited by JPP; 07-15-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jon Paul-- Wow, your 'quintuplet' grew up to be quite the fox
Welcome to your beautiful SpeedArena! ... plus HUGE congratulations to you & the British boys for the breathtaking transformation -- RLers Colin, Graham, etc. have reason to be proud.
Originally Posted by FisterD

It's about friggin' time! The car looks fantastic JP. I can't wait to see it in person.
Darin said ^^ what the lucky few 'in the know' have thought. It was a privilege that you let me in on your secret early, asking for my time & insights. As you found, I'm the eager little kid thrilled another friend's finally getting an amazing new toy, & to later share the resulting exuberance in person. Always happy to help other RLers spend their hard-earned money, too
Although complicit in your 'downfall' (& hopefully more RLers to follow), it's been a blast keeping you away from the "Speedsterholics Anonymous" meetings ... much more fun to feed the need
After 2-3 years of trying to spread my 'disease,' I'm glad the sickness has finally spread to this side of the ocean!

Thanks for keeping me in the loop during the process, even allowing some insight & advice from experiences with my red jalopy. Speaking of experience, I've always been in awe of your decades of being a Speedsterholic, back to owning 356 Speedsters. You've taken that passion & created a work of art. You've been through quite a journey, & really deserve to enjoy such a jewel.

Let me know when the kids can get together to play -- Speedy has a new friend From Arpad's "another 993 speedster is on the way" thread...
Originally Posted by curve lover

Making the world a more beautiful place, one Speedster at a time
Also gorgeous with the top up:

Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sbarracl
Absolutely stunning. The work they do is truly amazing. Any plans for special set of wheels?
I am one of the lucky ones .. I really like the stock 'Twists' .. always have so no plans. Having said that IF I went down that road, I would probably do a wheel with an offset rim and paint the centers body color ...

Originally Posted by MarkD
finally!!!!

you must be sleeping much better now JP

I cannot wait to see it in person. Now we can finally plan the FDM BBQ
Yes! Let the party begin!!

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Jager's going to be pi$$ed!!!
SSSHHHHhhhhhhhhhh ......
Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is awesome. I opened the thread up expecting a "i want to build one" post. Cant believe you kept it a secret this whole time!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Revisiting this again, can you guys imagine what kind of a POS wannabe I can make out of the abandoned '92 targa shell I've had sitting around for 7-8 years?

Now that I understand a bit more on the engine mechanicals, it never ceases to amaze me how some of the cars (ALL Porsches, just not 993s) are treated when something happens relatively early in their lives. Then it's all about forensics, and an owner with the budget to properly fix what's wrong AND a shop who knows what to do. A low number on the odo is one of the most meaningless stats available when assessing a car's condition.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

holy moley!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
It's about friggin' time! The car looks fantastic JP. I can't wait to see it in person.
+1

Awesome build!!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

JP, the Porsche community is so fortunate that there are owners and enthusiasts like yourself; willing to put in the effort, gain the knowledge to get the job done right, and have the resources, to preserve the rolling art as you have done.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:13 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by curve lover
Jon Paul--
Welcome to your beautiful SpeedArena! ... plus HUGE congratulations to you & the British boys for the breathtaking transformation -- RLers Colin, Graham, etc. have reason to be proud.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop during the process, even allowing some insight & advice from experiences with my red jalopy.

Let me know when the kids can get together to play -- Speedy has a new friend
Hi Jäger! I thought you had abandoned me here ... you know how insecure I can be :-)
Yes, I couldn't and wouldn't have done it without your influence, that's for sure. And thanks for all your help along the way .. like where and how to attach the vin number ...
another bit of 9M custom ingenuity ..

Anyway, I'm assuming we will finally meet in October at Laguna Seca .. or I better cancel that extra room reservation...

Originally Posted by ryano
this is awesome. I opened the thread up expecting a "i want to build one" post. Cant believe you kept it a secret this whole time!
Me neither! There were a few little 'clues' in other 9M threads where the car was "inadvertantly" photographed in the background .. I wanted to keep the whole project in stealth mode until I knew exactly what I needed to deal with bringing her back into the U.S.

Originally Posted by mcipseric
holy moley!
Exactly!

Originally Posted by chris walrod
+1

Awesome build!!
Thanks Chris! Are you going to Rennsport Reunion?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
JP, the Porsche community is so fortunate that there are owners and enthusiasts like yourself; willing to put in the effort, gain the knowledge to get the job done right, and have the resources, to preserve the rolling art as you have done.
Thank you. To be honest, my family doesn't quite see it as a Character strength, and I'm seriously out of resources ... but I can say 'It's been FUN!'

Quick Reply: Confessions of a Speedsterholic ...