Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How To Jack Up A 993

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice product, but I don't think your pads will fit my jack. Your pads look much bigger than my jack platform.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:53 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Giving a bump to an old useful thread...

I'm sure a lot of us are in the same position right not - it's getting warm enough to work on the car in an unheated garage, but the roads are still way too much of a mess with pot holes and salt to drive.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

Yup- my car is lowered and I was wonder how best to do this
Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 PM
esses
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
Here's an option. Excuse the blatant self promotion, but we discount to RL members.

Skinned Knuckles: All About Jack Stands - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube
looks like I need a set of those
Old 03-09-2014, 12:40 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just bought low profile aluminum jack...can't believe how light it is. I hope it lasts.

P.S. Jacking my car with regular jack the first time around was comical...took me good 30-40 min. Lift rear...jack doesn't fit in the front. Lift front first, and then jack doesn't fit in the rear.... I had to roll the car onto 4 small ramps to have it off the ground so jack can easily fit. Hopefully the low profile jack will make things easy.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to use this method yesterday, and think something went wrong. When I started lifting the rear, I heard a clink, and noticed my exhaust tips were now firmly touching the bumper cutouts for the tips.

Did my motor mounts just give up on me? Or something else?
Old 11-02-2015, 11:23 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
I tried to use this method yesterday, and think something went wrong. When I started lifting the rear, I heard a clink, and noticed my exhaust tips were now firmly touching the bumper cutouts for the tips.

Did they "unclick" and return to the normal position once you released the jack back down? The only thing holding the engine to the car are those mounts, so all the force would be there. The Transmission mount has some flex to it. It's possible that maybe they gave out with the upward force. Or, if they're original to the car, they might just have some play to them.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:40 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

How much upward deflection of the tips are you seeing? Did the clink happen as soon as you started to lift or after the tips made contact then bent down...clink!? May be time for new motor mounts.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:54 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boman993
Did they "unclick" and return to the normal position once you released the jack back down? The only thing holding the engine to the car are those mounts, so all the force would be there. The Transmission mount has some flex to it. It's possible that maybe they gave out with the upward force. Or, if they're original to the car, they might just have some play to them.
Yes, when I saw what was happening, I immediately lowered it back down and the tips returned to normal position. Except now the driver's side tip is now loose. I think the "clink" I heard was that tip breaking free at the friction fitting where it connects to the exhaust system.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:58 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
How much upward deflection of the tips are you seeing? Did the clink happen as soon as you started to lift or after the tips made contact then bent down...clink!? May be time for new motor mounts.
The tips currently sit maybe 1.5cm below the bumper cutout, so the deflection definitely travelled some distance.

Yes, I think the "clink" sound came when the driver's side tip was bent downwards when it hit the bumper. It is now loose (still attached, just wiggles around now). The passenger side returned to its normal position, and is still firmly connected.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:05 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, when I saw what was happening, I immediately lowered it back down and the tips returned to normal position. Except now the driver's side tip is now loose. I think the "clink" I heard was that tip breaking free at the friction fitting where it connects to the exhaust system.
Ok, that's good news. If you had broken motor mounts they would sag down too ~ you'd know right away.

I would loosen the other exhaust tip clamp bolt so that it doesn't hit the bumper either. I scratched my ceramic coating on my wide ovals with my C4S bumper the same way last year during the engine drop. Suuucks! Lesson learned...

Before I got my lift, I used this lifting procedure and it worked great! Sketchiest part of it was adjusting the jack stands to be higher and higher on either end..ugh..I don't miss that at all!
Old 11-02-2015, 12:10 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boman993
Ok, that's good news. If you had broken motor mounts they would sag down too ~ you'd know right away.

I would loosen the other exhaust tip clamp bolt so that it doesn't hit the bumper either.
Ok - thanks Jakob. Good advice. Sounds like my mounts are probably saggy - but not broken. I'll have to think about replacing those soon.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:13 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Gerard- ok good that was my thought. I'd lower the other tip a tad and try lifting again. This time make note of actual deflection of the tips. If you see anything more than 1-1.5" movement, I'd replace the mounts soon. Replaced mine with RS mounts and love it!
Old 11-02-2015, 12:26 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Gerard- ok good that was my thought. I'd lower the other tip a tad and try lifting again. This time make note of actual deflection of the tips. If you see anything more than 1-1.5" movement, I'd replace the mounts soon. Replaced mine with RS mounts and love it!
Ugh - I have so many reasons why I'd love to drop my engine over the winter, but I think I'd have to take a month off of work (and my family) to accomplish anything!

Thanks for the speedy responses guys. Much appreciated!
Old 11-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

I just noticed the pix are down. Not sure why but I will try to get that fixed.

Quick Reply: How To Jack Up A 993