Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein HD's and oem spring can i lower it by adjusting the shock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:40 PM
al993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein HD's and oem spring can i lower it by adjusting the shock?

i have install bilstein hd and oem spring on my car, can i lower the car by adjusting the shocks?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes. They did that for me 993tt. Maybe .75 inch or so.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 AM
michel j
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that setup on my car. About .75 inch is about right. This is accomplished by shock adjustments. I love the ride quality and the softer springs work for me in my hilly neighborhood. I have tracked the car with this setup as well.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Smile Confused..

If you bought the Bilstein HDs with extra threading on the shock/strut body, this will allow you to adjust the spring perch. I would think more than .75 of an inch.
According to Gert Carnewal, www.carnewal.com

"The front and rear HD shocks are threaded. The rear shocks have enough threads, it are the standard front shocks that have limited threads and can be only adjusted + or - 5mm.

When you replace standard shocks or M030 shocks with normal Bilstein HD shocks and using the same springs, the car will sit about 10-15mm (2/5"-3/5") higher than before. Reason is that there is just not enough thread on the normal front HD's.

You can only achieve the same height as before by using our special ordered HD shocks that have 30mm more thread downwards than the normal HD’s. Because of this extra thread, a lowering of another 10-15mm by using the same spring is possible."
Old 07-09-2011, 04:12 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
If you bought the Bilstein HDs with extra threading on the shock/strut body, this will allow you to adjust the spring perch. I would think more than .75 of an inch.
According to Gert Carnewal, www.carnewal.com

"The front and rear HD shocks are threaded. The rear shocks have enough threads, it are the standard front shocks that have limited threads and can be only adjusted + or - 5mm.

When you replace standard shocks or M030 shocks with normal Bilstein HD shocks and using the same springs, the car will sit about 10-15mm (2/5"-3/5") higher than before. Reason is that there is just not enough thread on the normal front HD's.

You can only achieve the same height as before by using our special ordered HD shocks that have 30mm more thread downwards than the normal HD’s. Because of this extra thread, a lowering of another 10-15mm by using the same spring is possible."
These statements were true about 6 years ago but are not correct today. ALL HDs (for the past 5 years) have the extra thread. Bilstein only makes them that way now. So unless your Bilstein HDs are very old, they will have the extra thread.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Bilstein HD

"These statements were true about 6 years ago but are not correct today. ALL HDs (for the past 5 years) have the extra thread. Bilstein only makes them that way now. So unless your Bilstein HDs are very old, they will have the extra thread."
6 years ago....I am a little behind the times...but then again, I got my PSS9s about 6 years ago...I guess that is when my suspension knowledge peaked Thanks to Darin for the heads up on this..now I am current.

Darin...you must have weekend chores as the rest of us do, now get to work!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,059 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Darin...you must have weekend chores as the rest of us do, now get to work!
Darin's wife: "Can you wash my car today _________(insert petname of choice)?" (Remember, she owns the sweet Blue Turquoise cab in Mr. Fister's sig.)

Darin: "No problem _________(same as above but be nice this time, it's Darin's wife!), I'll give it a wash then take it for a quick spin to dry it off!"

Chores indeed.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Darin's wife: "Can you wash my car today Stud?" (Remember, she owns the sweet Blue Turquoise cab in Mr. Fister's sig.)

Darin: "No problem your Hotness I'll give it a wash then take it for a quick spin to dry it off!"

Chores indeed.
You know me so well Mr. Moffat. We need to have some beers together soon. FDM Shop BBQ? Coming soon!
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
These statements were true about 6 years ago but are not correct today. ALL HDs (for the past 5 years) have the extra thread. Bilstein only makes them that way now. So unless your Bilstein HDs are very old, they will have the extra thread.
For the Row, Bilstein still supplies the front shocks with limited thread.

Correct, for the US market, Bilstein stole my idea* and only supplies the ones with extra threads.
(*) I am still waiting for a "thank you" note from Herr Flick und Helga....

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD's and oem spring can i lower it by adjusting the shock?