Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Long Term Storage

Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48 Month Update coming up ...

Car is coming up to 48 months in storage and will check on it next month.

Any views on the need for an oil change? (Was changed in July 2013 and has done nil miles). Assume no is still the answer.
Will be getting a new battery.

(As previously mentioned I am overseas and unable to export to my current location. Car is a keeper so it's in long term storage. Will advise on issues as they arise and are subsequently resolved).

On another note on the last 4 years prices went through the roof on these babies so glad I did not sell it and buy another one later as some had suggested!!!
Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

I'd definitely get the gas out of there -- go for a drive it if you have to.

How much longer do you expect the car to be in long term storage?

/
Old 05-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

OP: at this stage your tires may be shot (depending on yr of production rather than use), but I found these super useful in eliminating flat spots, plus you don't need to over-inflate the tire:

Amazon.com: Flatstoppers Tire Supports: Automotive Amazon.com: Flatstoppers Tire Supports: Automotive
Old 05-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

My recommendation is to have the engine cranked every 3 months with the DME relay pulled - the objective is not to start the car, but circulate the oil, and reposition the pistons/camshafts/pump. If the car sits for years without being turned over, I have seen cases where rings freeze into a position (rare), or the exposed bores (there are always ones with open valves) can actually start to lightly rust (I have seen this locally here in Vancouver - maritime environment). You are in HK which can get very humid and this can happen.

There are other areas of concern as well like the brakes not being used for years (if there is any moisture in the brake fluid it can corrode), or the fuel system also having moisture in it causing problems.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I have been told that rodents hate the smell of clothes drier sheets. I place them in each tailpipe and in the trunk and around car for winter storage. It was worked well so far.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:35 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An item I just discovered that might be helpful for storage...

Amazon.com: Dry-Packs 750 Gram Silica Gel Canister Dehumidifier - Moisture Indicating: Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: Dry-Packs 750 Gram Silica Gel Canister Dehumidifier - Moisture Indicating: Home & Kitchen
Old 05-13-2015, 10:13 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Be very careful using any Damp Rid type of product. I used a few Damp Rid bags on my 997TTS when I shipped it to Europe two years ago. The "water" that was collected in the bag dripped onto one of the rear seats and shrunk the leather. It looked like salted fish or beef jerky. So please be careful. I suppose other desiccants would have similar results.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:39 AM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Since you have access to electricity a better alternative to keeping the interior fresh would be to use a marine low watt heater/fan.. These are meant for continuous long term use. They key is to keep air circulating and the temperature above the dew point. These do just that while only consuming about 100 watts. They are about $50 and available at west marine or online. I keep one in my wooden sailboat and it's always fresh.
Cheers
Old 05-15-2015, 09:00 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Car25 I'm intrigued by your heater placed inside car approach. Isn't this dangerous?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Car25 I'm intrigued by your heater placed inside car approach. Isn't this dangerous?
These are meant for continuous long term use and only draw 100 watts. Not really a "heater". Mine has been running mostly continuous for 7 years in my sailboat that sits covered in the water. Keep car windows cracked open. The price listed is now about $100.00 though.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...er--P007867518
Google:
WEST MARINE Air Dryer with Fan, Dehumidifier
Old 05-21-2015, 06:02 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

MikeJ - car is warmed up annually and taken out until hot. Question for you...it had all fluids drained & replaced 24 months ago - oil, gasoline, brake fluid. It's done about twenty miles since then. Is it worth changing the oil at this point? It's Mobil1. Appreciate your view.

Humidity- Car is not in Hong Kong. It's back in Europe in dry climate in a dry underground garage. So luckily humidity not an issue.

Turn it over- Can't get access to it or have someone periodically turn the engine over unfortunately. Just once a year when I return to Europe from overseas. So, I'll start it in a few weeks time with the DME out, and then give it a run to just get it warm.

Tyres- agree, yes they will need replacing once I put it back on the road. Not yet unfortunately!

How much longer?- difficult to say. could be another 4+/- years. Depends on work.

Yes it's a pain not having the car - but also comfortable knowing its waiting for me, and that when the time comes I'll bring it back to perfect shape, whatever that requires.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents

Aviation fuel helps...any vented fuel will go bad though in a few years.

Fog the cylinders when you get back and you should not need to start the car for a year or two but always fog the cylinders. Look that up in YouTube.

I would store the car up on jack stands. You should be able to get a cheap floor jack and jack stands from harbor freight and store the jack in the trunk.

If your oil was clean, I mean just changed when you stored it... mobile 1 will be fine to use when you start it and use it. If it were me I would change it when you had time because it's cheap and why not.

They sell Golden Rod dehumidifier you can put in the cabin, because you have power charging your battery you can use one of those.

As much as I hate mothballs if you put a bunch under the car on the garage floor it helps greatly with rodents.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fog it and forget it

I strongly agree with fogging the cylinders. Get the engine hot, not just warm, and when cool change the oil and fog the cylinders. Put it away.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:37 AM
jinukk
4th Gear

My junker has been on jack stands since January. I know the feeling...
Old 06-28-2015, 08:12 PM
gatok
AutoX

Ppashley,
Do you drive your car annually when you return for a visit? I'm moving to HK in a couple of weeks and need to store my 993 for a few years. Similar to you, I'm planning on coming back at least once a year and drive it while in town.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 Long Term Storage