Tool needed for suspension DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Wow, wish I'd said that....
Thanks guys! I'm going to try and fabricate one and if all else fails then I will get it here.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

A closed end wrench worked for me.

Greg H.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:40 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Thanks guys! I'm going to try and fabricate one and if all else fails then I will get it here.
Do you just need it for this job? Do you want to borrow mine? If so, send me a PM with your address.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some deep offset wrenches also work. Samstag is great, but quite expensive.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:39 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason M
Do you just need it for this job? Do you want to borrow mine? If so, send me a PM with your address.
Jason. Thanks. I'm going to see if I can make one first. I'll PM you if that doesn't work out for sure.

Originally Posted by bart1
Some deep offset wrenches also work. Samstag is great, but quite expensive.
Bart , Removal doesn't seem to be the problem as I have all the tools needed. It's the re-insallation when I need to get the correct torque settings. Samstag is expensive. I still need to buy a good 3/8" torque wrench. I'm looking at Snap-on. Is there any downside to using a craftsman?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Is there any downside to using a craftsman?
Ha! Just you saying to yourself "why did I buy this fu@#!%g piece of s#!t?"

I've made do with Craftsman torque wrenches (3 different sizes) for 10+ years, but they really are aggravating. The locking mechanism on the adjustment collar never stays put and on 2 out of the 3 the ratcheting mechanism doesn't work consistently. I'd consider my use "light," wrenching on my cars and motorcycles. I dont use them as ratchets or breaker bars, and I keep them in a special drawer so they don't get banged around. They are not warrantied like their regular hand tools.

I'd jump at replacing them with Snap-On (check craigslist) or something else. The Craftsman torque wrenches will work for your job at hand, but down the road if you keep using them you may be sorry.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:55 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason M
Ha! Just you saying to yourself "why did I buy this fu@#!%g piece of s#!t?"

I've made do with Craftsman torque wrenches (3 different sizes) for 10+ years, but they really are aggravating. The locking mechanism on the adjustment collar never stays put and on 2 out of the 3 the ratcheting mechanism doesn't work consistently. I'd consider my use "light," wrenching on my cars and motorcycles. I dont use them as ratchets or breaker bars, and I keep them in a special drawer so they don't get banged around. They are not warrantied like their regular hand tools.

I'd jump at replacing them with Snap-On (check craigslist) or something else. The Craftsman torque wrenches will work for your job at hand, but down the road if you keep using them you may be sorry.
This is interesting, as my experience with Craftsman torque wrenches has been just the opposite. I have a 3/8" and a 1/2" and have been using them for years with no problems at all. I would recommend them.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:00 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy this torque wrench:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAw#ps-sellers
Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's the simplest, cheapest answer that solves all problems:

All pics are below.

The stock strut nuts are 21mm, and you don't care about torque specs when removing it. So, use a 13/16" spark plug socket to remove it, which has a hex end on it. You can't use a regular 13/16" socket because the fit is too tight. It has to be a 13/16" spark plug socket. Apply breaking torque with a 7/8" closed end wrench on the hex part. Or an adjustable wrench.

For the 22mm nuts that come with the Bilstein HD setup, get one of these for $8.99 (in store price):

http://www.toolking.com/1-2-inch-dri...-sensor-socket

It is made for 22mm/.875" O2 sensors, and fits the 22mm Bilstein nut perfectly. Now you can torque to perfection and sleep soundly without spending an arm and a leg.

PLUS, it's dual use - you can use it to change out your O2 sensors when they fail.
Attached Images     
Old 06-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave

All pics are below.

The stock strut nuts are 21mm, and you don't care about torque specs when removing it. So, use a 13/16" spark plug socket to remove it, which has a hex end on it. You can't use a regular 13/16" socket because the fit is too tight. It has to be a 13/16" spark plug socket. Apply breaking torque with a 7/8" closed end wrench on the hex part. Or an adjustable wrench.

For the 22mm nuts that come with the Bilstein HD setup, get one of these for $8.99 (in store price):

http://www.toolking.com/1-2-inch-dri...-sensor-socket

It is made for 22mm/.875" O2 sensors, and fits the 22mm Bilstein nut perfectly. Now you can torque to perfection and sleep soundly without spending an arm and a leg.

PLUS, it's dual use - you can use it to change out your O2 sensors when they fail.

The o2 sensor socket is exactly whit I used worked a treat!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dave

All pics are below.

Thanks Dave! Exactly the info I was looking for. This place is great.

Quick Reply: Tool needed for suspension DIY