Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Front Door Speaker Replacement (non HiFi)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Grendel911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Door Speaker Replacement (non HiFi)

Having researched the forums and found much help on this subject (as on many other occasions, Thank you everyone), but not quite what I was after, I thought the story below might be of use to someone out there for a little updated info.
My lovely 21 year old 16 cm Kenwoods that had replaced the original front Nokias, 8 years ago in my non-hifi equipped Carrera 4 coupe finally died.
The Kenwoods had been a very easy direct drop in replacement using original fittings.
I wanted a fairly simple DIY replacement, keeping a relatively standard look. I initially purchased some 16 cm Pioneers that looked like they would do the trick, only to find that the modern 16 cm speakers are not the same installation standard as my old Kenwoods.
I had a little difficulty in finding up to date recommendations of modern speakers that would simply drop in. A bit more research found that many modern 16 cm speakers require a 141 mm diameter minimum cut out or greater. The older standard is 130 mm. My 993 only has 130mm cut outs.
I had seen Infinity Kappa’s, Focal’s and Polk units recommended over the last few years, but a current check of the online specs for most current ranges always seemed to come up with minimum cut outs of 141mm diameters or more. Some 16.5 cm seeming to be more common and sometimes referenced as 16 cm speakers.
To keep a long story shorter, I found that Infinity still make a 16 cm Kappa model that only requires a 130 mm cut out. With a bit of digging I was able to order a pair of Infinity Kappa 62.9i. Very good build quality, subtle looks and the sounds not bad. However still not quite a drop in replacement, at least for me. The four screws locations did not quite align with the factory holes, which had worked so well with the old Kenwoods.
Due to the very smart grilles sitting a cm or so higher than the originals it is wise to install the speakers as high as possible in the existing cut out to ensure clearance of the grilles to the door pocket. I was able to use one original screw hole but needed to make 3 new holes and cut back the door card slightly to install the screw receivers, but no metal needed adjustment.
I added additional sound isolation carpet during the install and wrapped the off-board crossovers in more of the carpet to prevent rattles, there was plenty of space for the crossovers to sit at the bottom of the door underneath the speakers.
I investigated removing the now redundant high level separate tweeters, but without a door re-trim I can see no simple way of removing them without leaving an unsightly hole. So they stay, much as it bothers me to carry around something useless.
For info the head unit is a Becker Grand Prix with Ipod adapter and the Bluetooth hands-free phone function enabled. I believe it makes for a practical system with very subtle “in keeping with the original car” looks with a reasonably decent sound, but please note I am from the school of thought that if I am enjoying the car the hifi is switched off and the engine provides the sound.
I noted that the new speakers came with an adapter plate which would have made installation possible on a larger cut out with very little trouble, which triggered the somewhat late thought that perhaps I should have looked at what was available in 15 cm sizes. Perhaps I will leave that research for someone else.
Here are a couple of pictures of the finished install.
Attached Images   
Old 06-18-2011, 03:59 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not too shabby. Too many speakers now have some kind of fancy grille design. Just some plain mesh, please.

Nice all leather door panels!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Grendel911
3rd Gear

Thanks Bart. I agree it is hard to find simple ish looking speakers. The pictures do not give the best impression, but the outer rim is a soft touch matt black and the speaker grille is a very smart sound material. The tweaters are metal chrome grilles which allow the whole tweater unit to be alligned towards the listener. As the installation requires very little alteration from original, it will always be possible to reinstall a set of genuine Porsche Nokias and grilles if required.

My car has very few original mods, but the special black all leather interior is one of my favourite bits of the car, ....well just one of my favourite bits.......the lump in the back making the most noise is probably top.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM
jakfrost
Racer

I'm still hoping to find a simple mesh grill 'drop in' speaker for the doors, but may have to settle for something else.

Your solution looks very nice, not exactly a mesh grille, but not too futuristic either...good job!

Jim

Quick Reply: Front Door Speaker Replacement (non HiFi)