Where to hide a key?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by justin993
I couldn't help it
That's exactly what I thought of when I read the title of this thread! Perfect!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meanwhile...back at the OP's question. Does anyone have a neat solution to the 'hide a key' question?

I have a spare key in the glovebox, and a spare ( now tuned...! ) remote hidden in the driver's door pocket. Stuck a little velcro to the back of it and it just attaches itself to the black inside liner of the pocket anywhere you like. I like the almost hidden recess forward of the opening...if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't know it was there.

So in a worst case scenario, I'm walking across the street to my car which is parked at an expired meter and the meter maid is 2 cars back of mine...when in my rush to get across the street I drop my key/remote combo down the storm sewer grate.

No big deal, ( well, OK, so I'll have to buy a new remote...), I approach the car, stealilly reach into my 'secret hiding place' for the flat metal key, ( 8.00 cut ), hidden there, open the door and reach into the door pocket to retrieve the hidden remote, cancel the alarm, get in and drive away.

So having looked over/under the car there wasn't a 'secret hiding place' that sort of jumped out at me...maybe behind the front licence plate? Dunno? Ideas?

Not really worried about someone finding it and trying to steal the car, you need the remote as well...and searching the car with the alarm going off wouldn't be a thief's preference. If they steal it they will do like they did with my 2.7RSR, pull it onto a flat bed and take it somewhere more private.

I know, maybe paint it ( the flat metal key...) flat black and stick it between the joint in the front wheel inner liners with a black garbage bag tie under the screw to keep it in place. Hmmm.

Other/better ideas?

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 03:39 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, got a solution I'm happy with, I think, unless someone can point out where I 'mis-thunk' the whole deal...

The Porsche 'flat metal' key is wrapped in plastic with a magnet taped to the outside, and stuck up into the little opening behind one of the front jack points, ( you think I'm going to tell YOU which one? No way! ), and the spare remote is velcro-ed to the inside of one of the side pockets.

So when I realize someone has taken my jacket by mistake at the restaurant I can still recover the hidden key, open the door, cancel the alarm in a few seconds, get in and drive home and wait for the restaurant to call and tell me to come and get my jacket, ( you never know, it could happen :-).

Jim

Quick Reply: Where to hide a key?