Sponsored by:

ignition switch and immobilizer icon

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:24 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ignition switch and immobilizer icon

So I have had a diagnosis on my 1997 60 k mile cab that the failure of the symbol on the clock to be activated by the ignition switch is due to the switch electronics module. This was evidently a problem at 51k miles 4 years ago but was misdiagnosed then. The part is cheap enough, although the labor is several hours. My cigarette lighter also does not function. The clock bulbs and the lighter fuse are fine. The lighter socket does not work.

Questions: is this selective failure of the switch electronics normal? Would not more components downstream of the switch be affected? Could there be some other explanation for the icon failing to appear of which I should be aware, e.g. a harness issue?

To program the new immobilizer I bought the dealer had to use a mechanical hand held switch. I am also aware that the lighters are their own special deal, but assume it is relevant that the lighter socket is also not working.

Charlie
Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Adam5oh
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Might be a long shot, but I had similar symptoms that pointed to the ignition switch being bad. It ended up being the fuse for the interior lights (dome, key insert, etc). I'd check that first.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interior lights work. Fuse for lighter is good. Is there a separate fuse for the mobilizer symbol on the dash? I guess I will look, but I doubt the dealer would have overlooked that.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Adam5oh
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It wasn't the dash light fuse, my dome light, key light, etc fuse had blown and this was making the ignition switch behave as if there wasn't a key in it, so I got no immobilizer symbol. If your lights work it sounds like a different problem.

Quick Reply: ignition switch and immobilizer icon