993 Forum 1995-1998

weird eBay experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default weird eBay experience

Back story: I love my 993, but realize after 3 years that I would prefer a coupe (the cab was a compromise with my wife, who wanted the ragtop -- she now agrees a hardtop would be better). And I really love SY -- or pastel -- so I keep an eye out for them but am in no rush.

eBay find: No rush, that is until two days ago when a 95 coupe with sport seats (the other thing I crave) is on eBay classified (not auction) for $32.5 or best offer. 60k miles, clean carfax, few pictures, but they all look good. owner has solid eBay feedback. I email him asking about PPI.

the emails: he emails back saying he has an offer for near asking. I email him back and say I'll take it at 32.5, subject to the PPI checking out. He now has two offers and, although he has nothing against a PPI, neither of the other guys are asking for one and he doesn't want to yank it off eBay for my "maybe" (because of the PPI).

I can understand the bird in the hand, so I evaluate what I want and try to figure out how to get there and make him happy. Because the car looks nice, is SY, and has the hard back sport seats, I think it is a little under market and email back "your ad says 32.5 or best offer. My best offer is 34k subject to PPI." He says he feels obligated to let the other bidder know (now there's only one) and will get back to me later in the day.

the end: the day is coming to a close with no emails, so I check the eBay classified. The car has sold at 29.5. I'm more curious than anything else, because I did make my best offer. I realized early in the process I was not willing to buy the car long distance without a PPI and if he sold it to someone who didn't need one, bully for him. But I did have images of a SY 993 in my garage...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing sucks like loosing the car you wanted, except getting the car you wanted and having to do a bunch of work because of not getting a PPI. Ask me how I know. SY is not common, but it's not rare either. The right car with the right circumstances will come along.

Mike
Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe he was nervous about a PPI, knowing there were issues. That's what I would tell myself...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, so this is why you made the comment about my car in the other thread! Believe me, your wife would want out of the car after 100 yards.

(The car is back here if you're curious about anything pertaining to it being yellow.)
Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Some things are of value to a seller, other than just $$$.

When I sold my 1980 911SC, my preference was to sell it out of state (i live in CA) as I knew the car would not pass smog, and it was just easier to sell it to someone that didn't care about having it smogged. I took a lower out of state bid, because not having to smog it was of value.

Likewise, when I bought the SC, the seller sold it to me, when he had a higher offer from someone else, but he didn't want to deal with the other person. We had a common mechanic, and it was "easy".

I am with deekay911, there were likely issue that were going to show up in a PPI and the seller didn't want that reveled.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't really find this experience weird. As a seller, I'd be weary of long distance offer based on PPI, especially if that offer was above asking price. If I had a solid local offer I'd take that.

Now, as a buyer, to prevent this, I'd definitely ask seller for his phone number and called him. Nothing makes people relaxed like a personal conversation, especially if it is about the subject they like (993 in this case). Emails are way too impersonal and way too often are part of a scam, while phone conversation are not nearly at that level yet.

Inka, the bottom line is - don't worry about this. It wasn't meant to be your car. You'll find another that will be both better less hassle to get. They are not hen's teeth. And you are not Porscheless now, so it is OK. Lemme see a little into teh future here... wait... wait... You will soon join the SY club
Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I don't really find this experience weird. As a seller, I'd be weary of long distance offer based on PPI, especially if that offer was above asking price. If I had a solid local offer I'd take that.

Now, as a buyer, to prevent this, I'd definitely ask seller for his phone number and called him. Nothing makes people relaxed like a personal conversation, especially if it is about the subject they like (993 in this case). Emails are way too impersonal and way too often are part of a scam, while phone conversation are not nearly at that level yet.

Inka, the bottom line is - don't worry about this. It wasn't meant to be your car. You'll find another that will be both better less hassle to get. They are not hen's teeth. And you are not Porscheless now, so it is OK. Lemme see a little into teh future here... wait... wait... You will soon join the SY club

+1, when I sold my SC, the buyer immediately called, we talked several times, and I have to say, it made both of us much more comfortable with the ensuing transaction. email is too impersonal.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
Maybe he was nervous about a PPI, knowing there were issues. That's what I would tell myself...
My thoughts, too.

Good luck on the next one.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Be patient and the right car will come along. There was a SY coupe on here a few months ago in Cali that sat here for sale for a bit, so I'm sure another will come along!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:03 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with all the comment, basically. I don't know that he "feared" the PPI, but why take the chance? I wouldn't as a seller unless there was motivation, which I tried to give him.

And I tried to talk with him, but he clearer preferred emailing -- which made me more hesitant. I know enough about cars -- having restored three or four with my own paws, including building the motor -- to judge one through my personal observations, talking with the owner, and looking at the repair records. But I cannot do that via email, or even the phone. So, as much as I tired to make it work, it was not meant to be. Perhaps that's because I really want Joanne's old car -- a SY C4S....
Old 06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

I would never buy a car without at least talking to the owner. I think you dodged a bullet on this one...
Old 06-08-2011, 02:31 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with most of the other comments here. I think it was a combination of ease for the seller and concern about the PPI turning up an unknown problem. He took what was to him the bird in the hand which is understandable. You'll find another.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Spidey 993

Buying my Turbo from MarkD, everything that I thought would be stressful, wasn't. It just felt right every step of the way.

Sounds like this just wasn't the "one", which will make buying the "one" even sweeter!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:05 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Nothing sucks like loosing the car you wanted, except getting the car you wanted and having to do a bunch of work because of not getting a PPI. Ask me how I know. SY is not common, but it's not rare either. The right car with the right circumstances will come along.

Mike
Mike knows of what he speaks... just tell yourself you dodged a bullet and keep up the hunt.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I have to agree with most of the other comments here. I think it was a combination of ease for the seller and concern about the PPI turning up an unknown problem. He took what was to him the bird in the hand which is understandable. You'll find another.
I also agree. A sure thing vs a 'maybe'. A PPI can be a real hassle for the seller if he isn't close to anyone. I will be in that same boat one day. I am 2 hours to Atlanta one way. My indy shop is 1.5 hours away and most likely the buyer would not want to use the same guy I take the car too. Not sure what the answer is but what a hassle!

Quick Reply: weird eBay experience