Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the RS LWF need a RS clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:26 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the RS LWF need a RS clutch?

So I got the flywheel, bolts, pilot bearing etc. without the clutch. I bought a stock clutch here. Now the mechanic tells me the fork is too far from the LWF. Do I need the RS specific clutch? TIA.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pressure plate is the same (although the RS part number may be slightly stiffer), . The throwout bearing and guide tube is longer and the disc has a sprung centre. Part numbers are available here if you search or on Pelican in their parts catalog. Be careful to use the correct length bolts and the starter ring gear can be installed backwards (it is notched only on one side).There are also some discs out there which are labelled with the flywheel side on the wrong side.( these should be all gone by now but old stock might still show up.)

Last edited by johnsjmc; 05-30-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Camlob, this link may help:

http://p-car.com/gearfaq/
Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
The pressure plate is the same (although the RS part number may be slightly stiffer), . The throwout bearing and guide tube is longer and the disc has a sprung centre. Part numbers are available here if you search or on Pelican in their parts catalog. Be careful to use the correct length bolts and the starter ring gear can be installed backwards (it is notched only on one side).There are also some discs out there which are labelled with the flywheel side on the wrong side.( these should be all gone by now but old stock might still show up.)
I ordered the right pilot bearing, is this the throw-out bearing you are referring to? The guide tube also came out from a 993(together with the LWF) so I assume its the longer one. The bolts also came from that 993. Everything except for the clutch.

So then the starter ring could have been installed backwards? Ill check on this mate. Thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 09:01 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Camlob, this link may help:

http://p-car.com/gearfaq/
Thanks for the link. The only inferrence I can get is that the clutch is RS specific. But according to the earlier post, it may have a different part no. but actually the same unit. Hmmm....
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 393 Posts

993 RS/CS M003 l/w setup
RS LWF 964 102 239 31
RS PP 964 116 028 53
RS disc 996 116 015 32 or 964.116.011.61
RS starter ring gear 964 114 143 31
RS guide tube 950 116 813 30
Rear main seal 999 113 426 41
Flywheel bolts 928 102 151 01
PP bolts n 014 715 3
Release bearing 944 116 080 01
Pilot bearing 931 102 111 00

Note that the M002RS uses the same dual mass clutch/flywheel setup as the rest of the normal 993s. You need the M003RS/CS or M001 Cup parts
Old 05-30-2011, 05:15 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

If you are using used lwf parts then the shorter flywheel bolts and longer guide tube should be correct already. Compare them to your DMF ones to be sure.. These parts are different than the dual mass flywheel because the LWF is thinner thus shorter flywheel bolts and a longer guide tube. The LWF throwout brg has a 944 number(the most common usage is in a 968) and has longer ears than the DMF one.The thinner LWF moves the clutch further from the trans and closer to the engine.Thats why your mechanic has noticed the throwout you have is too short
The pressure plates are interchangeable from 964 and 993 and twin turbo 996 and gt3. Clamping pressure is lowest in 964 next stiffer is 993 then twin turbo. The difference is about 30% from lightest to stiffest. The RS pressure plate falls somewhere between stock 964 and turbo spring pressure probably very close to stock 993.
You must use a spring centre disc with the LWF to provide some torsion damping. The DMF absorbs some torsion and can be used with a solid centre disc but you should not use that type disc with LWF
The starter ring has a shallow notch,the plate sits down into the notch . If installed backwards it holds the pressure plate slightly away from the disc by the depth of the notch. This will not likely be noticed but will result in clutch slip when assembled.

Last edited by johnsjmc; 05-30-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 AM
camlob
Pro

If you are using used lwf parts then the shorter flywheel bolts and longer guide tube should be correct already. Compare them to your DMF ones to be sure.. These parts are different than the dual mass flywheel because the LWF is thinner thus shorter flywheel bolts and a longer guide tube. The LWF throwout brg has a 944 number(the most common usage is in a 968) and has longer ears than the DMF one.The thinner LWF moves the clutch further from the trans and closer to the engine.Thats why your mechanic has noticed the throwout you have is too short
The pressure plates are interchangeable from 964 and 993 and twin turbo 996 and gt3. Clamping pressure is lowest in 964 next stiffer is 993 then twin turbo. The difference is about 30% from lightest to stiffest. The RS pressure plate falls somewhere between stock 964 and turbo spring pressure probably very close to stock 993.
You must use a spring centre disc with the LWF to provide some torsion damping. The DMF absorbs some torsion and can be used with a solid centre disc but you should not use that type disc with LWF
The starter ring has a shallow notch,the plate sits down into the notch . If installed backwards it holds the pressure plate slightly away from the disc by the depth of the notch. This will not likely be noticed but will result in clutch slip when assembled.
Thanks John. Ill look at the possibility of the LWF throwout bearing. I guess I have to use a RS clutch disc then. Now I regret not buying a full LWF kit!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Depends on how much you spent. If you buy a full kit with LWF and everything expect to pay about $2000 +. The parts places and dealers usually don,t just have a replacment RS clutch kit anyway and will still need to order the 3 parts seperately . The disc is about $375 and the bearing is about $160 you already have the pressure plate.The 3 pcs together are probably $1000+. If your 3 pc DMF kit is still new then maybe you can exchange it.

Last edited by johnsjmc; 05-31-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM
camlob
Pro

John/Bill - Will the 996 GT2 plate work? Here is the part no.

996 GT2 plate 996 116 027 51

Troy of EBS Racing has one in stock and is offering it to me. BTW, he has given me excellent service for my other parts:-)

Pls advise so I can order.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

That is the turbo pressure plate ( 20-30% stiffer than stock normal asp.car) I thought you already had a plate. You need the disc and throwout bearing. Some people use the turbo pressure plate as a performance upgrade but it will result in a stiffer pedal (Although still not as stiff as the " 999" Sachs motorsport number plate that the turbo guys often use.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:51 AM
camlob
Pro

That is the turbo pressure plate ( 20-30% stiffer than stock normal asp.car) I thought you already had a plate. You need the disc and throwout bearing. Some people use the turbo pressure plate as a performance upgrade but it will result in a stiffer pedal (Although still not as stiff as the " 999" Sachs motorsport number plate that the turbo guys often use.
No. These are the parts that I bought from a guy in pelican. He took it off a 993. I just bought the 993 stock disc and pressure plate. Troy says it could be the problem. Trying to get a confirmation on this. I dont want to have two pressure plates!!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
camlob
Pro

Just an update, I went with the 996 GT2 pressure plate. Ill see how things go. But it seems to be the most logical part left to change.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

I,m not clear what problem you are trying to fix. Your original post said the throwout bearing wasn,t right. You need the longer ear type for the LWF. 9441168001. That is the ONLY cause of your distance problem. That release bearing will still need to be used with any pressure plate IF you are using a LWF.. You also need to obtain the correct disc. There might be several part numbers which would work BUT you need a 240 mm with a spring centre. NOT a solid centre. You need the correct throwout bearing and the correct disc to use the LWF. I don,t understand how changing the pressure plate is the next logical part to change to fix your problem. The pressure plate are the exact same size and shape. THE THROWOUT AND DISC ARE DIFFERENT NOT THE PRESSURE PLATE. Your picture doesn,t show a starter ring gear. You will need one. The DMF has it built in the LMF is a seperate part.

Last edited by johnsjmc; 06-02-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 AM
camlob
Pro

I,m not clear what problem you are trying to fix. Your original post said the throwout bearing wasn,t right. You need the longer ear type for the LWF. 9441168001. That is the ONLY cause of your distance problem. That release bearing will still need to be used with any pressure plate IF you are using a LWF.. You also need to obtain the correct disc. There might be several part numbers which would work BUT you need a 240 mm with a spring centre. NOT a solid centre. You need the correct throwout bearing and the correct disc to use the LWF. I don,t understand how changing the pressure plate is the next logical part to change to fix your problem. The pressure plate are the exact same size and shape. THE THROWOUT AND DISC ARE DIFFERENT NOT THE PRESSURE PLATE. Your picture doesn,t show a starter ring gear. You will need one. The DMF has it built in the LMF is a seperate part.
Thanks John. Let me clear this up before they ship out the pressure plate.

I really appreciate your help in this matter.

Quick Reply: Does the RS LWF need a RS clutch?