PMO ITB's, DC 43 cam, JIC, Electromotive TEC3R, etc

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickmysta
Camlob,

What are your expectations on the additional requirements / issues that the ITB could bring about? For instance, will you need to rev the engine for a little while before taking off on cold starts? Also, do they require frequent adjustments?

I am very anxious to see hear your impressions once the project is done!
Here is a link to a DIY that I guy did in pelical to a 3.2. The only issue I see is the idle setting. Unlike the regular motronic, the idle of the ITB is dependent on the throttle body opening and not the DME. But the guy eventually solved it. One big issue with ITBs is the linkage should be solid and really firm. You want the throttle bodies opening at the same time consistently.

Other than that I dont see an issue. I used to own a E36 M3(euro), E34 M5 and a E39 M5. They all had ITBs. BMW pretty much perfected it.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...b-project.html
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

wow.. just wow....

Very nice
Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Intriguing project. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:12 AM
camlob
Pro

Just came back from the shop and pretty much on sched. The wiring harness from Clewett is installed but we had to use some parts of the old(actually new!) stock harness to utilize some sensors e.g. oil level etc.

The immobilizer issue cropped up so we are figuring out a way to disable it. I dont have a clue on how they will do it. This is the only roadblock that we are facing. I dont know why he asked for the old ecu. Needed a part for the immobilizer by-pass I guess.

We decided also to install a fuel pressure gauge.

The aircon hoses will be relocated next week. Cant wait to get it started and tuned.

Finally installed the DFI's. The sound insulation will also come off eventually.

EDIT: Just found out that the car ran! So tuning starts on Mon!!

Last edited by camlob; 06-11-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats an incredible looking motor. Im expecting big things from this so dont let us down! I think you will be pleasantly surprised once the tuning is completed properly...

ViPEC/LINK is a New Zealand designed and manufactured product s. Its cost effective here too and plenty of experienced installers. I have the v88/Extreme being installed and tuned by one of the rally shops here in late June. New hi flow injectors and MAP sensor etc. 8 hrs Dyno and 8 hrs programming to get it right. Steves been a tremendousness help in initial maps. Target power is moderate (maybe 310-320 bhp and 270-280lbft torque) but drive ability is key. the DC cams didnt deliver their best with the factory config and induced a stalling issue with the RS LWFC, Cup dual light weight pulley and alternator hub etc. No option but after market ECU to straighten it out unfortunately....

Keep us abreast of developments,. Particularly interested in dyno data (raw rwhp etc not marked up with TCFs). AFR data would be useful too....

Cheers
M
Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Thats an incredible looking motor. Im expecting big things from this so dont let us down! I think you will be pleasantly surprised once the tuning is completed properly...

ViPEC/LINK is a New Zealand designed and manufactured product s. Its cost effective here too and plenty of experienced installers. I have the v88/Extreme being installed and tuned by one of the rally shops here in late June. New hi flow injectors and MAP sensor etc. 8 hrs Dyno and 8 hrs programming to get it right. Steves been a tremendousness help in initial maps. Target power is moderate (maybe 310-320 bhp and 270-280lbft torque) but drive ability is key. the DC cams didnt deliver their best with the factory config and induced a stalling issue with the RS LWFC, Cup dual light weight pulley and alternator hub etc. No option but after market ECU to straighten it out unfortunately....

Keep us abreast of developments,. Particularly interested in dyno data (raw rwhp etc not marked up with TCFs). AFR data would be useful too....

Cheers
M
Hi M. I initially thought that steve w chip would be a good fit with the dc 21 cam and the lwf. I will be tuning it first with the dmf since I yet have to receive the parts for the lwf. It might take a week or so but my goal is to install the lwf before I take delivery. More costs are going to be involved since the engine has to be dropped again.

Not really aiming for high hp nos but more on response. The sound will be an added plus.

Are you going alpha n or map? The tec3r has the ability to combine both.

edit. just realized you are going map.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi C. Yeah the DC21 with SW chip and RSLWF could be made to work I reckon. However with lighter crank and alternator pulleys and catless X pipes etc it starts to really push the nevelope on a NVR car. With Varioram it would have been fine.

The problem is simply that you can properly tune for mods like cams using a remove chip supplier. Not to gte the best from your combination of modifications. You need to tune on a dyno. The SW chip only tunes the idle and WOT settings. The partial throttle and all the other curves like idle open decell dont get touched. This is where a Motec type solution is fantastic. And it removes the slightly restrictive MAF from the set up letting more uninterupted air in as I understand it.

The DC24 cam you are using wouldnt have worked acceptably with Motronics amd LWFC on your 1994 car I do not believe so you would have been forced down the route you have actually taken.

Im using MAP although mu ecu will support either or or both. Id say you will use alpha n for ITB probably. Im still keeping my manifolds.

I never expected a LSD and camshaft install with a budget of about 8k including parts to blow out another 2500-3000 - but that seems to be the way unfortunately. If the extra cash is the only negative at the end of the day it wont be so bad...

Cheers
M
Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 PM
camlob
Pro

I have a MAP sensor so it will be combination of both. Since I went the ITB route, I went for a more aggressive cam, the DC 43. Some say I could have gone even bigger with the ITBs but thought that it would have been too much for a street car. John also recommended that I limit myself to the DC 43.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 AM
camlob
Pro

UPDATE: Never knew the synchronization of throttle bodies are difficult. Thats what we are doing now and probably till tomorrow. Even with BMW's, that was an important maintenance item. It was a good thing we were able to borrow the tool needed to synchronize them.

I decided to upgrade my PLX afr dial to have two banks covered. I am adding another O2 sensor for monitoring purposes of the other bank. So I will have two afr readings! I will mount the dial in the left column. I think the dial will be able to also list exhaust gas temp. Not too sure if I need it though.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 AM
camlob
Pro

Here are some pics from todays visit. Took a vid of the car running on the base map. So its running very crude and will eventually get tuned within the end of the week. We plan to finish off everything by next week.

Tommy at Autoteknika is doing an outstanding job. Not too many people over here can do this. I am glad I decided for him to do it!

The vid.

http://www.youtube.com/user/paulmedi.../0/EVxFjKobZ40

A pic of the stance of the car with the JIC's installed.

Trumpets!

A pic of the ecu. I will mount it just at the fire wall area in the rear seat.

Last edited by camlob; 06-15-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:41 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice project!!!

Those open trumpets scare me a bit though since lots of work is still being done around the engine compartment....they're almost begging for a nut, bolt, retainer, whatever to be dropped into them accidentally. Rubber stops as found in kitchen sinks often work a treat, leaving the small chain attached makes removing them a breeze as well.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by evoderby
Very nice project!!!

Those open trumpets scare me a bit though since lots of work is still being done around the engine compartment....they're almost begging for a nut, bolt, retainer, whatever to be dropped into them accidentally. Rubber stops as found in kitchen sinks often work a treat, leaving the small chain attached makes removing them a breeze as well.
You are right my man! In the early pics they had tape covering them. They will be putting the airfilters on. Still deciding to on whether to put the itg or the k&n's. The k&n's have a metal cover for rain. Its the start of the rainy season over here. But the itg's look really hot! Thanks for your suggestion man!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 AM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by deidrenehring16
Hi everyone,

Just joined today and I am sooooo excited.

it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in...
Welcome my man! The people over here are great and will provide a lot of info for your ride. They love their cars over here!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is awesome, the throttle response is amazing, looking forward to hear her after a final tune and a bit of WOT fun
Old 06-15-2011, 04:48 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

Camlob you are a wildman-keep up the good work

Quick Reply: PMO ITB's, DC 43 cam, JIC, Electromotive TEC3R, etc