Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF am I paying car insurance for????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I haven't read all the posts but one of the things I did when I had to replace the windshield on my 360 (my insurance tried to make me accept an aftermarket replacement) was to have the "glass guy" tell my insurance company that the aftermarket windshield was not a proper fit and there would be saftey issues if it was used. My insurance then approved a factory replacement windshield.....and for the 360 it was expensive!

Cheers.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine replaced last year with Allstate. I have windshield coverage. $100 deductable. No questions asked, I got to select the glass replacement company of my choice, which in my area was a company known for doing Porsches and high-end cars. OEM glass.

Allstate did not even need to see the old windshield. I had a very small chip.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
. . . insurance shouldn't be for repairs, it's for liability . . .

Adjust your expectations and coverage appropriately and you'll be much happier.
Ditto, that is my perspective too. Go with bigger deductibles (at least $2K) and bank the savings for that rainy day if it ever comes. In a few years of no claims you will be ahead of the game. And as others have advised, read polices to understand the facts, not the marketing.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:02 AM
ericthepilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Florida, Front windshield coverage is mandatory. When my Targa had a stone chip, I got a quote from Champion Porsche. Liberty Mutual mentioned another guy, but I told them the car is already at the dealership. They paid in full by special courier.
The nasty part is that I found out my car had 33 extra miles on it after I picked it up from Champion, and a scratched door sill.
We settled for a free detailing, and replacement sill.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:59 AM
veblenesque
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Ditto, that is my perspective too. Go with bigger deductibles (at least $2K) and bank the savings for that rainy day if it ever comes. In a few years of no claims you will be ahead of the game. And as others have advised, read polices to understand the facts, not the marketing.
This is a great discussion. Unfortunately I'm a newbie with 993s, but not with property insurance. One of the great mysteries of the insurance market is the strong demand for small-loss coverage, like low deductibles or windshield replacement. A property insurance premium is an investment against an unexpected $ loss (essentially a hedge) that has a cost, or expected return, of about -45% (payout ratio on property). So it is a mystery why people would accept a $1,000 loss in their investment portfolio with an expected return of 8% when they could earn an expected 45% by retaining property risk. It makes sense to insure against large losses through liability and umbrella, but keep those deductibles high on property or even consider retaining collision/comprehensive risk on the entire car.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:24 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by veblenesque
This is a great discussion....
I agree and appreciate all the comments.

It is clear that when it comes to being versed on insurance I'm a total dummy. I have the best full coverage I can get with the company I am with. They didn't offer a separate glass coverage and I did not know to ask.

I will just pay for the glass replacement myself and try to find a better company with all the information gathered here.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, I just got back from a couple of weeks in Canada (Go Canucks!), and took my 993 in to Walter's Porsche to have the windshield replaced. As I posted previously, my State Farm agent was less than zero help in answering any questions I had, kept trying to steer me to Safelite, never would say how much SF would pay, but that they didn't "have a relationship" with Walter's so "no way to pay them". What a tool. I think his actions were borderline illegal.

Anyway, Walter's had the windshield and all related genuine Porsche parts on hand, and their installer who has been doing windshields for them for 17 years all ready to go. I called the SF adjuster to give them another heads-up to come look at the car, but told Walter's to go ahead, don't wait for those bozos, do the work and I'll just pay for it out of pocket.

After dropping the car off at 8:30, Walter's called at 3:00 saying the car was all done, washed and ready to go, and SF had stopped by. I picked it up shortly after. The work was perfect, and SF had left me a check for $992--total was $1492, I have $500 deductible.

Overall, a good outcome, but no thanks to my "good neighbor" SF agent.

Quick Reply: WTF am I paying car insurance for????